[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to be yourself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: FB_IMG_1465616283862.jpg (89 KB, 1156x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1465616283862.jpg
89 KB, 1156x960
I have a question about the age old advice of he yourself
How do you know who you are ?
If it's the things you like , the what if the things you like are negative ? (Ie being negative all the time )
>>
>>17254790
>How to be yourself
The real trick is in understanding that you first have to BUILD yourself. We're born with half a psyche at best. Freud called it the id, while Jung called it the shadow, but whole Jung was less moralistic about things, they referred to the same concept: the self as the sum of one's impulses, the "lizard brain".

Over top of this, the theory goes, we are to build the free-willed individual who, while subject to these impulses, is not a slave to them: Freud's ego, Jung's persona. Only once you've fleshed one of these out can the concept of "being yourself" really apply.

The main problem with the way we present "be yourself" as advice in this day and age is that we present it to kids too young: before the self has fully developed, and thus before they can really understand the advice. Some take it to mean "never change", but the concept of building a self is all ABOUT change, and so they come to reject selfcraft as inauthentic. Others take it to mean "never alter your behavior for the sake of others", but this robs them of the ability to make accommodations for others in their lives: something we all need to do.

But I digress. The point is that before you can be yourself, you must build something to be.
>>
>>17254816
What should I build to be ?
>>
>>17254820
A firetruck maintenance. It's best job out there for depress
>>
>>17255026
>A firetruck maintenance. It's best job out there for depress
It's not a career thing . Its more existential than that
Example , I'm wanting to be a hvac service tech, a tradesman. A trades job has a lot of guys who think shooting guns and drinking is fun . Versus I have nerd hobbies and love art.
I am thinking about how great for me it would be if my father was more active in my life , showed me how to be a tradesman, and not let me sit at a computer all day and be a fucking dumb art .
I was wondering , maybe there is a way to fundamentally change myself ?
>>
>>17254820
>What should I build to be ?

The "building yourself" thing >>17254816 talks about is reaching another level of emotional maturity. Growing up.

If you ask this question and do what people tell you, you keep acting like a child, missing the point.

Make your own decisions. Try new things and learn what do you like doing. Follow your dreams.
>>
>>17255186
>>What should I build to be ?

>The "building yourself" thing >>17254816 talks about is reaching another level of emotional maturity. Growing up.

>If you ask this question and do what people tell you, you keep acting like a child, missing the point.

>Make your own decisions. Try new things and learn what do you like doing. Follow your dreams.

I do do this with art . What I wonder is should I do this ? If I was raised differently I wouldn't be doing it probably and I wonder who am I really then? Do I truly have a "self" or is it am illusion , and if so , how do I change it to make myself happy ?
Also does this mean I should not heed your advice or others?
>>
>>17255380
>>What should I build to be ?

>The "building yourself" thing >>17254816# talks about is reaching another level of emotional maturity. Growing up.

>If you ask this question and do what people tell you, you keep acting like a child, missing the point.

>Make your own decisions. Try new things and learn what do you like doing. Follow your dreams.

>I do do this with art . What I wonder is should I do this ? If I was raised differently I wouldn't be doing it probably and I wonder who am I really then? Do I truly have a "self" or is it am illusion , and if so , how do I change it to make myself happy ?
Also does this mean I should not heed your advice or others?

What do you mean "heed my advice or others"?
>>
>>17255380
>If I was raised differently I wouldn't be doing it probably and I wonder who am I really then? Do I truly have a "self" or is it am illusion

Oh, stop. Just accept that you are a self - your-self - and you want to do some things in life.

If you have already reached complete enlightment, take a step down and help your self reach those things.

>Also does this mean I should not heed your advice or others?

Yes, of course, you should heed my advice. You will never succeed if you don't. Print it several times and put hang in your room. Or better - tattoo it on the inner side of your eyelids. Yes, you should do that.

Seriously though, I wasn't precise enough. You are already making your own decisions all the time. We all are. Problems arise when we choose to follow dreams of other people, perhaps because we have none of our own or we have, but we are afraid to pursue them.

So, don't ask us what you should do. We don't know you. We don't know what is your personal Mt. Everest. Something that looms over your whole life, something you perhaps fear doing.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.