[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any idea how appeals work when you get rejected from the university
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1463999526938.gif (2 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1463999526938.gif
2 MB, 300x169
Any idea how appeals work when you get rejected from the university you applied for? Like what kind of preparations should I make?
>>
What's your basis for an appeal? Was there a misprint in your SAT score or GPA? "I really really want to go to that school" is not a valid reason.
>>
>>17247889
There isn't but they didn't say why they rejected me either. It's an arts school and I don't know what else to do at this point
>>
>>17247901
Attend a different school (you did apply to multiple options, yes?). Maybe you can transfer in the future.
>>
>>17247901
The appeal is going to do nothing, unless you felt there was some kind of bias or there was a mistake made by the university. You probably weren't good enough, unfortunately. As other anon said, go to a different one, work hard, and then transfer.
>>
>>17247940
>>17247945

The other school I applied to and got accepted has a one year express course where it skips the fundamentals and just throws you into the final project along with an overseas trip. Is there any way to transfer from that?
>>
>>17247951
You could always apply for the other school's program after finishing that one. Or, you could get some credits? Best to talk to the universities about it.
>>
>>17247959
Alternatively you could spend time improving your portfolio instead, and try again next cycle. The school you got rejected from wasn't Cal, was it?
>>
>>17247959
I'm not sure why that school even accepted me when during the interview, they said I was lacking in fundamentals and the course was just going to be skipping right to the final year project.

It's not rude is it? If I just ask the school that I intend to join just so I can transfer to another school?
>>
>>17247970
They said that? Wow. Maybe you really should take the year off to study, then. What kind of work are you dealing with? I really think you should take some classes and refine your craft.

I would probably just talk to the university you want to transfer to, and not mention anything to the university you got accepted into.
>>
>>17247986
Graphic Design. I'm not sure whether I should take up that university's offer though. They straight up told me I won't be good enough and they still accepted me.

Take some classes, like apply for a certificate course?
>>
>>17247991
That was a very strange thing for them to do. I'm also not sure how going overseas relates to graphic design? I thought you were a fine arts major which made sense, but I can't understand why a graphic design major would need an overseas trip for?

A certificate course sounds like it could be helpful. Does the university you applied for have public access classes? Also, could you possibly intern at a graphic design firm or something similar? I'm not sure what fundamentals in graphic design are like, but I guess you should focus on trying to develop those?
>>
>>17248020
Beats me on the overseas trip too. It's 2 months in the UK

Just the school I got accepted into offers a certificate class. I could try interning but I have zero knowledge on graphic design except for a portfolio I did from scratch but it apparently wasn't good enough
>>
Is the school that accepted you for profit? That might be why they accepted you
>>
>>17248052
UK? That's even stranger.

Your best bet might be that certificate course then, unless it's a for profit as >>17248120 said, then you should absolutely have nothing to do with them. Are you sure there aren't any other graphic design classes around? Maybe you could get a graphic designer to tutor you or something? Or at least someone to give you a critique and tell you what you need to work on.
>>
>>17248120
That's what I'm guessing too. The two universities have good reputations though. Just that the one I got rejected for has a higher popularity cause it is a full 3 years

How do you find out whether it's for profit?

>>17248160
I could try looking I guess. Get a unrelated full time job and then take classes at night until next year
Thanks man
>>
>>17247869
You can't appeal unless you have solid evidence of either
1. a significant harmful-to-you error in your application
2. Very impressive new material to add to your application (like an award you just won)
3. solid proof of prejudice in judging you (Trust me - that just does not happen)

What you can do is write a polite letter, not disagreeing with their decision, but asking if they can explain what might have made your application more attractive.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.