[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Being (mostly) cut off and living on my own
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1399182652813.png (1 MB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
1399182652813.png
1 MB, 919x720
Long story short, my parents can't and don't particularly want to help me with anything anymore. They'll give me a place to stay, but I'd really rather not live with them.
I make $10/hr and get about 28 hours per week on average, I could probably get a few more hours, and I've been saving up since November. I also really want to go back to college, even a community college would do fine, ideally by this fall. I will also need to pay for my own health insurance, car insurance, food, etc.
And I have no idea where to start. How do I find a good apartment or a roommate? Is it even possible for me to go back to college with so little money?
>>
>>17241475

You have very nearly ruined your life, sort it out now or forever be a loser.
>>
>>17241475
Start looking up ads for places to stay, check them out, and meet your potential roommates if you can. Go to a community college and apply for as many scholarships or aid as you can. Do your best and ideally transfer to your state university when you can. Do you have to drive? You'd save a lot by ditching it for a bike or public transportation, but only if practical. Get more hours or get a second job. I hope you like beans and rice, because that's all you'll be eating for a while.

Good luck, anon.
>>
>>17241478
It's not like I picked fights with my parents or anything. My dad is retiring early and my mom is bipolar and decides to freak out at me every other day.

>>17241485
How do I find a roommate, is that something an apartment owner will do? I do have to drive, public transport doesn't exist around here and all the apartments are too far away to bike from. My car is also 13 years old, so that probably won't help things.
>>
>>17241475
You're under your parents healthcare until 25 regardless
>>
>>17241531
It depends, you might have to do it, your landlord might do it, or you might already have one. Fair enough about the car. Can you get on benefits? Hit up some food banks and other charitable organisations.
>>
>>17241536
Whoever does insurance at my dad's work says that I have to be able to be claimed on his taxes for me to keep the insurance, and I can't because I made over $4300 this year

>>17241544
I have no idea what benefits I could get or where to find that out. I guess talking to a counselor at college might help?
>>
>>17241567
Absolutely talk to financial aid at your college, or at an unemployment centre. Have you tried looking up benefits online? There must be some information from your state about it.
>>
>>17241574
I can't find anything particularly conclusive about benefits
It seems like food stamps and health insurance may be an option... It doesn't look like I'll get the food stamps, honestly
>>
>>17241536
No you arent your parents have the option but i also have the option to NOT enroll my 10 mo old daughter on my health insurance.
Of course I am enrolling her but your 25 year old kiddoesnt automaticaly get added.
>>
>>17241567
Thats just an excuse.
>>
>>17241830
>>17241823
I don't think my parents really dislike me enough to kick me off their health insurance if they could prevent it.
If it's not that, is there anything I can do to prevent being removed?
>>
>>17241475
Start by filing taxes, even if you don't owe. It supports your FAFSA, which you should also fill out.
>>
>>17241903
If you are removed, go on healthcare.gov and get state aid.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.