[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I am French and I can speak decent Spanish. I'm currently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: golden-retriever-head-tilt.jpg (74 KB, 650x408) Image search: [Google]
golden-retriever-head-tilt.jpg
74 KB, 650x408
So I am French and I can speak decent Spanish. I'm currently working part-time at this American company and one of my coworkers in Latino (met him once before when he flew to France).
Is it ok if I honestly tell him my opinions on Spanish-speaking culture? Like the pros along with the cons (eg. I love the Spanish language, but desu I am not very interested in Spanish/Hispanic culture)? He seems like a rather out-going and cheerful person but I am not close to him and I don't know if I will be thought of as rude.
>>
>>17241163
>Is it ok if I honestly tell him my opinions on Spanish-speaking culture?

no, it's not. he doesn't care. be a professional.
>>
>>17241163
Like telling without being asked? No, that's not rude, that is actually autistic, aspie like.

Why do you belive your opinion about some culture is relevant in any way to him?
>>
>>17241163
C'est impoli, oui.
>>
>>17241192
Well we often have nothing to do and the Americans are the ones talking about our culture. They like to ask questions about my culture.
>>
>>17241203
Then talk about your culture? Don't go shitting on his. You don't know him well enough to do that.
>>
>>17241208
Is it ok to say "I think Spaniards smoke a lot based on my observation and that is what my close Spanish friend told me"?
>>
>>17241216
Are you actually autistic? Christ, man.

Yes, that's fine, but don't criticise his culture with the pros and cons crap.
>>
>>17241203
There's your answer then.
If he asks specifically what is your opinion ob spanish/Hispanic culture, you tell him.

If not, you stay the fuck shut!

Now, be prepared for posible consequences. Typical Americans are often very hypocrite. They seldom speak their true mind and like to avoid personal conflict as much as possible. They often ask personal questions without really caring for your answer.

Latinos are generally easily offended, they do not tolerate criticism (even constructive criticism) very well.
>>
>>17241163
Why would the subject ever come up? And how could you raise it without being offensive "You know, Juan, a love your language but there are a lot about the Spanish as a people that I hate.Not you, of course."

This comes under the heading of the sort of thing basic courtesy and tact requires you to keep to yourself, even if he invites the subject.
>>
I HEARD FRENCH PEOPLE EAT FROGS SOMETIMES AND ALSO BAGUETTES. MY FRIEND TOLD ME THIS. HE'S A FRENCH. SOMETIMES PEOPLE CALL HIM A FROG.
>>
>>17241231
Btw is it ok if I say this to a very close friend of mines who is from a Spanish-speaking culture?
>>
>>17241237
Even then I'd say no, unless it's just friendly ribbing, don't go criticising people's cultures.
>>
>>17241244
And why are you so hell bent on doing this in the first place? Do you want him to prove you wrong or something?
>>
>>17241244
Well he was the one who said many smoke weed and become neets and he thinks of it as a bad thing?
>>
>>17241163
I'm a native south american I have no interest in south american culture.
That said, some people might have sensitivities about the topic and if I were you I would avoid to mention you racist opinion to other people if possible.
I mean, do you really need to talk about this topic to him?
>>
>>17241251
If he started criticising Spanish NEETs first, then you could put in your observations without being rude.
>>
>>17241257
Well he always talks about how he frowns upon the hookup culture, the drinking culture, the drop out of school culture, the leech off your parents culture, etc
Is it rude for me to mention what he said to my coworker?
>>
>>17241265
You barely know your co-worker, right? If someone started talking to me about criticisms of my culture right off the bat, even if they were criticisms made by someone else from the same culture, I wouldn't be enthusiastic to be friends with you. This isn't a very suitable for a professional environment.
>>
>>17241270
Yes I don't know him that well
>>
>>17241163
If you want to talk about the cons of a culture, go to /int/
>>
>>17241306
underrated post
>>
dont say it
>>
File: 1856.gif (1 MB, 288x198) Image search: [Google]
1856.gif
1 MB, 288x198
>>17241163
>let me tell you about your culture
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.