[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is depression and psychiatry a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: Sinaloan_sun.jpg (119 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
Sinaloan_sun.jpg
119 KB, 960x960
Is depression and psychiatry a meme?
>>
Not at all
>>
Yes. People who say it isn't just like to pretend they're unique in their suffering.
>>
>>17240110 the "oh my gawd im sooo depressed" kind
Otherwise No
>>
life is a meme
>>
>>17240110
You ever heard of a "self-fulfilling prophecy".

Because that's how I feel about a lot of modern psychiatry.

They give you a sense of how you're supposed to feel if something is happening to you, and then exploit your fears for profit.

It's kind of like when you see a young child fall down on the ground. If the parent doesn't freak out, the child will brush it off. But if the parent freaks out, so will the child.

Psychiatrists are just an adult replacement of this authority figure who can make you feel like shit about yourself if they're just out to get money.
>>
Yes and no.
"Chemical imballance" is more a meme than anything. You feeling like shit isnt unmatural. Youre supposed to so you either change your situation or die. And yes, ita in our DNA that we have mechinisms to kill us in certain situations where we become a burden to the group we're part of. Why do you think animals die from going into "shock"? Why do you think braincells kill eachother when they die? To kill and imobilize you. Often so your can be a roadbloxk for a predator so the rest of the group can gtfo. Getting old is biologically triggered. So your genes cant compete with your offspring.

So its natural. Your depression likely comea from lonelyness, and before you say it yes you can be lonely with alot of "friends".
>>
>>17240616
Aren't we all lonely in a sense, then.
>>
File: 1IUSA0HR95IF1463546048733.0.0.jpg (33 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1IUSA0HR95IF1463546048733.0.0.jpg
33 KB, 640x360
I actually have voices in my head telling me to kill myself.
People that bawl about it in a dark corner are the meme.
People that actually do something to fix it aren't.
>>
>>17240603
You are half-right.

Back in the day psychology was about understanding what the fuck's going on in the brain, at some point it became "what the fuck is wrong with the brain" and for some reason that's what became popular so most of the research is aimed towards answering that question, that's why there are so many named mental illness.

However at some point this got corrupted and instead of trying to understand what's wrong the research turned into trying to classify everything with a label, however at this point everything had names that sounded like you were batshit crazy (neurosis, hysteria, psychosis, it all sounds fucking scary).

There were some authors that decided to instead study "what was right" because if everything was wrong then society would not exist at all, they even decided to change rename common phenomenons with more friendly-sounding names just to make a point that classic psychology was too much up it's own ass, but this didn't got popular for many reasons that deserve their own thread.

Nowadays it's a battle between the imbeciles who read the DSM and think it's some kind of ultimate bible for psychology and the actual researches who agree that we have already too many labels and the very nature of psychology, from the nomenclature to the practice of it, should be reviewed.
>>
>>17240625
>I actually have voices in my head telling me to kill myself

Isn't that just inner monologue?
>>
>>17240110
The lonely faggot crying in a corner is the meme.

Remember Robin Williams? He had depression and nobody knew. Kurt Kobain had a lot of issues too but they both did better than sit in a corner crying.
>>
>>17240643
I feel like trying to sugarcoat the darker aspects of the human condition is counterproductive in itself though.
>>
>>17240625
>voices
Two possibilities:
An issue with your auditory cortex on the left side of your brain which is tied to speech. Your brain is recieving false signals it tries to make sense of and percieves as "voices"
Or
Your left brain is keeping itself busy with an inner monolauge and your right brain is having trouble understanding.
Every person is actually two seperate minds joined together in the middle with a bridge of tissue that lets both your left and right side communicate. If this connection was severed, and it has been in cases that are still being studied, both sides of the brain can...disagree. as they are no longer in sync. Your left brain controls your right side and is responaible for speech, your right brain controls the left side and is mute.
>>
>>17240661
The problem is that when you say "darker aspects of human condition" it sounds like you're talking about "the evulz inside of us" when in reality is just shit that we do not understand so why don't we just call it "shit we don't understand"? It is more accurate and prevents missunderstandings.

Unless by "darker aspects of human condition" you actually mean "the evil inside of us" in which case we should call it "the evil inside of us" because, as I said, it's more accurate and prevents missunderstandings.
>>
>>17240650
>>17240679
I wonder. Doesn't matter either way, doc's said I'll have to just live with it.
After the sessions & meds, growing thicker skin and living a productive life is pretty much the way to go.

>>17240657
This.
>>
>>17240657
Robin Williams bottled his shit up and killed himself

Kurt Kobain ended up killing himself.

They did something with their lives before they did but they ultimately succumbed to their illness.
>>
>>17240680
Yeah I mean, negative emotions, or mental states.

But I also think you shouldn't assign a negative connotation to these conditions, since it's just human nature to be ambivalent.
>>
File: 1434491587168.png (14 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1434491587168.png
14 KB, 500x500
>>17240686
So do you avatarfag to project an idealized self image or to is it to let us know which posts are yours?

Either way, it's fucking annoying.
>>
>>17240698
>soups
You cheeky sunofabitch
>>
>>17240687
Sounds like they were playing the longmeme
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
81 KB, 1280x720
>>17240698
Cause it's edgy and ironic. I wondered if I should have gone full meme and gone with Reaper, but S76 is a bit easier to relate with combating depression.
>>
>>17240687
Let me quote myself.
>The lonely faggot crying in a corner is the meme.

Depression is real and yes many people sucumb to it when it becomes unbearable, but it does not mean that having depression automatically turns you into a faggot who does nothing but sit in a corner crying as per the mentioned examples.
>>
>>17240110
Some forms of depression may indeed be memes, but many are not.

Psychiatry is defintiely not a meme.
>>
I always talked down about people with anxiety and depression. And, honestly I do think a lot of people overreact and think it's worse than it is.

My doctor just put me on anti depressants after talking to me for awhile, and I never thought I was depressed but when he put 2 and 2 together it made since.

I was still getting by fine, girlfriend, job, house, car, this that and the other. But, I had no drive in life, no motivation, I had marked a 1 on the self harm question, and quickly crossed it out and circled the 0 but it made me realize something might actually be wrong, maybe it alarmed him too.
>>
>>17240616
All of that is bullshit btw.
>>
If it's a meme, then what else can you do when you're too incompetent to manage your own life? It seems like the only option is suicide.
>>
Depression isn't a thing. Getting sad happens and it's normal. Even suicidal thoughts and actions are normal if things get bad enough. It's your brain's way of offering a solution to even the most extreme of problems.

The "chemical imbalance" bullshit is indeed a meme. It's also a buzzword pharmacuetical companies use to sell pils that do nothing but make you more compliant and obedient to authority.

Here's the 100% ard truth in life: It sucks. It's supposed to suck.

And if you're over the age of 8 and you're still not miserable then you're either so sheltered and spoiled that you're an insufferable, obnoxious piece of shit and people only pretend to like you. Or you're so emotionally and psycholigically stunted that you deserved to be culled so you don't pass over those extra chromosomes to the next generation.
>>
>>17241379
You are an idiot.

I was diagnosed at 19, they went through my history and I had depression for damn near a decade by that point. That isn't normal, for a child to be that severely depressed for that long.

They put me on medication, and I was seeing a psychiatrist twice weekly, and while the first lot of meds did nothing for me, the second lot had a very noticeable effect.

After several months of therapy and meds, they were able to wean me off and I have been "normal" ever since, about 7 years later. So yeah, the meds can work, but it isn't foolproof.
>>
>>17241447
>docs told me these zombie pills will help me
>abracadabra the power of suggestion has "cured" me

You realize the same shit works with those faith healers you see on TV, right? None of it's really legit. You were just too cowardly to pull yourself up by the boostraps so you had to go have someone make you believe you were being helped.

>it isn't normal to be depressed for that long
Actually it is. As I said, for anyone who's actually worth their salt, life is supposed to be miserable. Do you think that depression existed 10k years ago? No, it fucking didn't. Everyone did back breaking labor and was miserable. It was a sign you were doing well in life and has been up until very recent modern times.

And this level of happiness and comfort has given way to the worst generation yet of manipulators and abusers. People who have no actual problems so they go out and cause them.

So congrats on becoming a selfish and insufferable prick who burdens society.
>>
>>17241379
Lol you're retarded.
>>
>>17240657
KURT WAS MURDERED YOU NIGGER

WAKE UP
>>
>>17241508
Nice ad hominem. Since you can't refute any of it, I'd guess it's safe to say you're the retarded one here.
>>
>>17240650
I think it's cool, he's like a superhero.

you just be hatin', cuz.
>>
>>17241523
I can, I just don't care enough to so I'll settle for letting you know you're stupid.
>>
>>17241540
>i got nothing
Is basically what you're saying. You're also a fucking liar on top of it. You must be fun at parties.
>>
>my feelings are a disease

Lol
>>
>>17241490
No, it sounds like you're the only one here that is a burden on society and you're just projecting your own feelings onto others. Kys m8
>>
Right now, depression is a meme
I'm not saying it's not real, I am saying it's a meme
So many people have "depression" nowadays it's like people enjoy labeling themselves for no reason
Anal
>>
>>17242601
Suicide and panic attacks are also up. Some societies have become very "individual", in those people are actually happier after a terrible event because at least they are experiencing the same thing together.
>>
The dichotomy between mind and body is an illusion. The mind is an extension of the body. Psychology is grounded in physical connections in the form of networks of neurons. This system of neurons is plastic and subject to change, but not easily. This is why people can actively acknowledge something like exercise contains significant benefits and admire the results of it, but never actually feel compelled to do it. There is a disconnect between our navigational conscious state and what is already internalized.

It is not a meme.
>>
>>17240110
http://www.weeklystandard.com/print/articles/making-it-all_1042807.html

http://www.psmag.com/magazines/pacific-standard-cover-story/joe-henrich-weird-ultimatum-game-shaking-up-psychology-economics-53135/
>>
>>17242814
FFS, they changed the URLs for both articles:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/making-it-all/article/1042807

https://psmag.com/we-aren-t-the-world-535ec03f2d45
>>
>>17242509
Because I believe depression isn't a real fucking thing? Okay. Go back to sucking liberal tranny dick you piece of shit.
>>
>>17240163
>Yes. People who say it isn't just like to pretend they're unique in their suffering.
These are wise words.

For anyone who missed the essence, it looks at depression in the same sense as a common cold.

You don't call it "my depression" making it part of your identity, you just treat it as yet another ailment.
>>
>>17240687
>Robin Williams bottled his shit up and killed himself
Robin Williams was diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia. It's scary if you look it up. (your mind is basically degenerating faster than any other illness and the physical symptoms are equally horrible)

He probably thought of his suicide as youthanasia, going out while there was still a sense of self left in him.

Seriously look it up and you'll think differently of his suicide from that point on.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.