[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
College roommate left house, missing $1900 of rent money for May-July
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1384323212541.gif (2 MB, 347x222) Image search: [Google]
1384323212541.gif
2 MB, 347x222
Leased a house off campus with college peers. Some house drama a few months in caused one renter to want out of the house. He left the house with his name still on the lease. Other renter was able to find friends to cover the rent until May.

Now, about two weeks before May-June rent is due, I get a message from one of the renters that we are short $950. Apparently the renters that covered the one who left were only doing so for up to April-May rent.
I don’t think anyone is even in the house anymore, so we are all paying rent for the last two months without occupying the house but still agreed to on the lease. Since we are short this much, the leasers are threatening to report us to the credit bureau.

I wish I had known this beforehand that the new leasers filling the empty spot were not going to pay for the last two months, I thought it was handled a lot better. I could’ve made a smarter decision for this deficit for the last two months like charging everyone a little bit extra from the months before so we wouldn’t have this problem. But only finding out weeks before my house is responsible for two additional payments of $950 on top of our split rent is too late to make those changes.

I am not capable of covering another person’s rent I am waiting to hear back from my dad, the one who has been supporting me with rent, to see what he thinks about it all.

I think the person who left, who is also at risk of being reported to the credit bureau, should be helping us take care of the missing rent money that was agreed upon.

I have never been in a situation like this and honestly don’t really know what to do… I am not capable of covering this financially.
>>
>>17237910
Okay, first of all. Is everyone a signed lease holder, or is one person the leaser holder and the other people are listed as occupants? Significant difference here.
>>
What a fucking idiot you are.
>>
>>17237913
5 individuals are signed on one lease, responsible for rent.
>>
>>17237928
>I wish I had known this beforehand that the new leasers filling the empty spot were not going to pay for the last two months, I thought it was handled a lot better. I could’ve made a smarter decision for this deficit for the last two months like charging everyone a little bit extra from the months before so we wouldn’t have this problem. But only finding out weeks before my house is responsible for two additional payments of $950 on top of our split rent is too late to make those changes.

I agree, this is a dumb ass position to be in. I mistakenly thought it was taken care of by the people responsible of causing it all to happen.
>>
>>17237990
All 5 of you are responsible legally then. Creditors don't give a shit who pays what amount, they'll come after all of you and ruin each of your credit.

Had to take steps for something like this myself. What you need to do is hit up your bank or credit company now and take out a loan or cash advance to cover it. Be sure to keep documentation on interest, fees, etc.

Pay the rent yourself, then sue your housemates in small claims for their portion plus interest and legal fees. You'll need to send a certified later to each of them with at least a 10 day window giving them notice of what they owe and 10 days to repay you. With luck, that will scare them into repaying you then you repay your bank. If not, you go ahead and take them to court.
>>
>>17238046
I already emailed him, the tenant who left, the message our landlords sent us. He was left off of it surprisingly.
>>
>>17238081
Email won't cut it if you sue. Certified letter.
>>
>>17238084
It's fine if you can prove he read it.
>>
>>17238081

And by certified letter he means there's this additional service at post offices (or whatever else shipping company) that allows you to get documented proof of sending and their acceptance of the letter.

http://www.wikihow.com/Send-Certified-Mail-(USA)

Make sure to get a proof of receipt (which requires them to sign to receive the letter) which serves as concrete proof that you DEFINITELY attempted to warn them and made reasonable efforts to have situation addressed--operating in good faith--before resorting to becoming litigious

Getting your mail certified with a return receipt should only cost you like $5, and cuts out any doubt or excuse.

The more documented and obvious proof you bring, the easier this shit is to slam dunk in your favor.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.