[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My boss and the full-time coworker keep asking me to work on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 56742799.jpg (116 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
56742799.jpg
116 KB, 400x400
My boss and the full-time coworker keep asking me to work on days im not scheduled, usually the day of. I agreed to work last night and tonight, but I'm going to text my boss back and say "ok, but I won't be covering as much for *anon* going forward."

Too confrontational? I'm pretty pissed. He gets sick easy, but that's not my fuckin' problem. I'm a full time student and I'm not gonna keep being asked to come in every night, six hours beforehand. I say no often enough as it is.
>>
So basically I worked last night, will work again tonight, I'm supposed to have Thursday off but I bet they'll want me to work then too, and I'm scheduled to work Fri and Sat like every weekend. So five days when I'm supposed to be two. How do I do this maturely?
>>
Tell him the truth: you don't mind filling in when there's an emergency, but that this is a part-time job and you have other things in your life that need your attention.
>>
(And never put things like this in writing- talk to him in person.)
>>
Ultimately school is your priority, and having worked 4 shifts a week last semester (when I should have had 2-3) I can say I've been in a similar situation. It didn't do well for my grades, and honestly if the same thing starts up again this coming fall I'm going to say no to those 4 shifts a week.

If your company has a union, HR department or some reliable higher power that will penalize your boss for making rash decisions, then I can say there's a good chance you'll be fine to ask for less shifts given you guys already agreed on the 2/week. Not only that but your boss is already short as is, so firing you would be a really stupid idea on their part. They may use this incident against you in the future though and look to hire people with a more flexible schedule.

From the boss' perspective these shifts really need to be filled though. If you can stomach more than 2 I'd go for it, but maybe tell them that 5 is overkill for you. While you need to look out for yourself, you should still be willing to further your company's interests as long as it doesn't screw you over.
>>
Thanks for the advice everyone.

My boss texted me telling me she needs me for tonight (I alreadyt said yes yesterday so I will fill in tonight). I'm going to text back "Sure thing. I won't be able to say yes to *full time co-worker who keeps asking me to work* so often in the future though. 2 days a week is perfect for me atm and I don't mind filling in for an emergency, but it's becoming expected that I'll need to come in an extra night or two a week"

Too harsh? Too soft? Is it clear?

It's the full time guy who asks me constantly, and I've told him no maybe a quarter of the times he's asked. I'll be rarely saying yes in the future is the plan. School is my priority but I need this job for the experience, references and the money does help a lot. They also need me.
>>
>>17233760
Do you really owe them anything? No. Are you a fucking pussy? Probably. But reach down deep, grab your balls and stop letting them run over you. If you don't stop this shit now, people will run over you for the rest of your life. You are currently a bitch but this can be reversed.
>>
>>17233888

And if you started your own company I bet you'd be singing that same tune. People are hired on the basis of a CONTRACT, which is a mutual give and take between two parties. An employee is as obligated to live up to the contract's terms as the employer. To say otherwise is to say that a company should be forced to hire people unfit for the position they're hiring for, which is wrong on so many levels.

Not saying that OP should not have the desired shifts they want - since their schedule was already agreed upon - but employees should always be interested the company's well-being, given that it's was responsible for their check in the first place. Businesses don't operate in a void, and must be capable of living up to certain standards to survive in a competitive world.
>>
>>17233760
you are not obligated to come in to work on days you're not scheduled. they can ask someone else or fire anon and replace him. You have a part time position for a reason, presumably.
>>
She texted back. Scared I was quitting. I told her
"no no, 2 days a week is perfect for me, but he asks at least once a week" she said she understands and will work on it, and appreciates everything I've been doing.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.