[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hello the police recently seized my laptop and phone in a warrant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1464326991618.jpg (311 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
1464326991618.jpg
311 KB, 900x1200
hello

the police recently seized my laptop and phone in a warrant because im stupid. i have good amounts of pirated music on both devices, should i expect trouble?

to clarify the warrant was not related to piracy
>>
>>17232739
They can't arrest you for something they didn't have a warrant for, but they may try.
>>
>>17232739
Cheeze pizza arrest in progress, nice.
>>
>>17232755
if there was cheese pizza i certainly wouldnt be worrying about other shit nahimsayin
>>
>>17232760
so you got caught selling drugs and took your laptop and phone to check for record keeping? happened to my brother
>>
>>17232769
no, but could you answer my question if you have experience with it
>>
Yeah. You're fucked. As officers of the law they have a legal obligation to forward that shit on the the relevant authorities. It's part of the job. So when they see all your files that aren't attached to iTunes or anything, they'll ask for proof of purchase, you won't have shit, and they'll press charges for copyright infringement. Happened to my cousin.

Oh, and they'll forward your info to the RIAA so you can get fucked civilly tool. Hope you don't have any assets faggot.
>>
>>17232739
Are the laptop and phone related to the execution of the warrant?
>>
>>17232781
idk desu
>>17232780
any details on what happened to your cousin
>>
>>17232797
Took a plea deal for 2 years of probation, got fined like $50k but he was broke, so they just ruined his credit and now garnish his wages until the balance is payed off.
>>
>>17232804
shit. thx for the replies
>>
>>17232772
the pirated music? my brother had gigs of that and they never said anything
>>
i really doubt they will. i tried to commit suicide once and the police went through my room, they saw the fucking umpteen cartoons of contraband cigarettes and they didn't do shit about it.
and music piracy is generally left to civil courts anyway
>>
>>17232898
but this was years ago and i think they were primarily concerned with finding the stuff i tried to kill myself with
>>
File: 1464294516504.jpg (58 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1464294516504.jpg
58 KB, 540x540
fuck you op for not telling us what you did on an anonymous imageboard.
>>
Can, but probably won't.

It's not enough for them to find files without receipts. The burden of proof is them, so they'll have to sort through IP records and find a paper trail, and even then they'll have to show that you- and ONLY you- had access to the computer.
>>
>>17232780
>what are passwords
>"yeah I bought cd's from a friend and ripped them to my computer"
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.