[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to live with purpose?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: live with purpose.gif (47 KB, 306x469) Image search: [Google]
live with purpose.gif
47 KB, 306x469
This may be kind of a broad question, but how does one find a purpose in life? I see people who are into sports, into art, into science, and they are passionate about what they do.The thing is, there isn't anything that I feel particularly passionate about. How can I find something to dedicate myself to, to put all of my effort into? All I do all day is watch anime and basketball, lift, and play video games
>>
>>17232023
Help other people. However you want to.
The world will never have too many people making other people smile.
>>
>>17232023
You just have to try everything you can.You WILL find the right thing,it's just a matter of testing the water.I was in the same boat as you,anon.Up until the age of 14 all I did was play video games.My only "hobby".My brother was musical so I thought "fuck it" and I got drum lessons.Pretty good but something missing.Tried bass guitar.Bam.Been playing in a band for 6 years.Those people you see with passions had to find their calling.Get out there and find yours.Good luck
>>
File: 1463903644613.jpg (348 KB, 1249x968) Image search: [Google]
1463903644613.jpg
348 KB, 1249x968
>>17232023
Try getting into programming. It's relatively easy at start, and can stay as a fun hobby or get you a cool job.
Protip : start with Python.
>>
>>17232098
I play guitar, but it's not something I'm really passionate about. When I play I dont really feel like it's something that I want to dedicate my life to.
>>
>>17232067
Help them how? Like volunteer work, or...?
>>
Here's what I did.

1. Read a book or three on a topic, do due diligence
2. Jump into it, see if you like it.
3. If you like it, then stick with it.
4. If not, stop.

Just DO DO DO DO DO DO. If you keep doing, you'll find your passion. For most things 10 hours or less of research is enough to dip your feet in the water. Don't waste too much time reading though, you'll learn more in 15 minutes of doing than in 10 hours of reading.
>>
File: 30879.jpg (297 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
30879.jpg
297 KB, 1600x1200
>>17232023
Purpose in life is self defined. Instead of taking that bad though, understand it as the ultimate freedom to be what you want. And no, I don't mean it like that shit in school that you can be an astronaut or fireman or president if you work hard enough, I mean you can be a lazy fucking antisocial loser for all anyone cares as long as that makes you happy and content, an if that stops making you happy and content you can go do what you think will.

Morals, customs, traditions, accomplishments, laws and expectations are all arbitrary.

Just do whatever you want, if that makes you happy and makes you want to get out of bed in the morning then there's nothing objectively wrong with it.

Sadly, this doesn't mean you won't possibly be persecuted (especially if you're a psychotic murderer or something) but if whatever it is really matters to you just say fuck those people and take whatever precautions you need if you need any. It's better to die for being yourself than live a long life of suffering.

Also this is highly relevent to your problem, I'd suggest taking a look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaDvRdLMkHs
>>
>>17233435
Nevermind, I think I misunderstood what you were saying at first, but I'll leave my post up in the off chance it helps you or someone else.

As someone who's recently gone through what you describe, all I can say is chase after what you think is cool. Break them down, try and examine why you like them, thoroughly examine and question everything about you and why you do and like certain things and don't do and don't like other things. Here you're find the first clues pointing towards what could become your passion.
>>
>>17233435
good video, philosphy is great
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.