[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
So I'm feeling anxious right now. I'm not sure how important the reason is, but I will include it at the end. Basically, though, I'm not panicking. I'm not having a panic attack. I just feel anxious and on edge and I don't know how to make myself calm down.

>How can I calm general anxiety? How can I reduce my current levels of anxiety?

Backstory (unimportant):
I have been taking OTC sleep aids to sleep for about 3 years and I've been meaning to get off of them but I finally started the process tonight. I have taken a smaller dose than I am used to and I am anticipating difficulty sleeping. In the past, insomnia has caused me panic attacks. I've been better about it lately but the prospect of being unable to sleep is very unsettling to me.
>>
>>17229313
Go for a run. Come back, take a warm shower.

Might be a little late for the run so maybe just the warm shower. Chamomile tea helps a bit. Watching nature documentaries keeps my mind off it. Other than that it's just a bio feedback thing. Try to be aware of how tense/relaxed your muscles. Keep your body and muscles relaxed. Some soothing music in the background.

Some of those can help out.
>>
>>17229323
here.

Also masturbating always helps out.
>>
>>17229323
Thanks man.
Yeah, I just did my crunches and curls for the night and that kind of helped. Don't think I have any tea.
But music seems to help.

I mean, I'm usually okay with dealing with panic attacks, because I've had so many. But this is just like, a lingering thing. Different. I know, I just need to get the hormones out of my blood and it will pass.
>>
>>17229313
You sound like someone who is very aware of their condition and is also averse to losing control. Sleep is the gradual process of relinquishing control, which is why some people like us find it difficult if we're too aware of what's going on. Sometimes we jolt ourselves awake to exert control and tell our bodies "I still run things here" despite it not being in our best interests.

I imagine most people don't think about sleeping when they actually lie down to sleep. They just drift off unknowingly. This might not work in your case so I'd suggest you to approach sleep as if it were something in the background.

Personally, I take a problem (math or physics) when I go to bed and mull over it a little when I lie down (not too fiercely, just enough to the point that it's the only thing I'm thinking about when I'm horizontal. The idea is to let thoughts come to you and just silently observe, not to get caught going back and forth with them )

This helps me keep my mind off the idea of losing control and usually I would drift off unknowingly as well. If your sleep problems are anxiety provoked, this approach might be worth trying.

Curious, what sleep aids were you on?
>>
>>17229313
OTC sleep aids.

You've been addicted to antihistamines. Just stop taking them, they don't do anything. Take melatonin.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.