[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>19 >Parents moved us to Melbourne, AU from America >Can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: 1404266816449.jpg (149 KB, 500x608) Image search: [Google]
1404266816449.jpg
149 KB, 500x608
>19
>Parents moved us to Melbourne, AU from America
>Can't find job
>They don't care about my experience in the US
>Can't speak Chinese
>NEET
>23 hr/day in bedroom doing jack shit
>Bf in America
>Hate it here, want to move back
>$2500 AUD to my name
>I WILL have a place to stay
>Mooching off government (centrelink)
>in debt to phone company

Should I just teach myself some basic Chinese phrases for working in retail and then lie and say I CAN speak it? There are too many of them here so I'm locked out of a lot of jobs if I say I can't speak it.
>>
If it's *really* necessary for the job, they'll probably find out pretty quickly if you lied. It's not hard to switch languages in the interview to do a quick test.
>>
I have so many questions:

If you're an adult, why did you move with them? Why didn't you choose to stay?

Why do you need to be able to speak Chinese?

Why are you in debt if you have money?
>>
File: GET A JOB, NIGGA.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
GET A JOB, NIGGA.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
>for working in retail

Or you could spend some time learning good, marketable skills where you aren't a customer complaint away from being fired.
>>
You need to know Chinese to work in Australia? Lol talk about bending over for immigrants. Holy shit
>>
>>17228711
>a customer complaint away from being fired.
Not every country is as backwards as America
>>
>>17228637
You have to speak Chinese to work an ordinary job in Melbourne?

That's disgusting...
>>
>>17228709
>If you're an adult, why did you move with them? Why didn't you choose to stay?
I had little time to explore my options, and I could not have lived on my own. I had a minimum wage retail job.
>Why do you need to be able to speak Chinese?
There's so fucking many of them in Australia, especially Melbourne. It's like this is becoming China #2.
>Why are you in debt if you have money?
That $2500 I have right now is for moving back to the United States. I didn't pay my phone bill for months because I was an idiot and didn't realize prepaid cards were an option.
Also, I was given a lot of backpay from an old centrelink claim I put in months ago that got rejected. I don't question it because the system is broken and who doesn't love free money?

>>17228714
>>17228721
That's one reason I fucking hate this country so much.
>>17228711
My old job in America wasn't like that.
>>
>>17228722
I wanted to visit Australia, but it looks like Australia is dead.
>>
>>17228722
Well if you're going to move back to America, do it. I don't know what you're waiting for.
>>
>>17228725
Visiting is okay.
Living is NOT okay.
>>17228728
$2500 AUD isn't very much money. I'll have more in a few months.
I haven't gotten in contact with any family members in the USA who can take me in for sure.
My boyfriend and I have only been dating 6 months, and he is a last resort in terms of living somewhere. He needs to get his drivers' license before I live with him. His life is a whole 'nother can of worms that probably shouldn't be opened.
>>
Anything else? Thread seems to have died fast.
>>
I live in Melbourne and it's the best fucking place on earth, you stupid bitch.
If you can't find a job in Melbourne, it's because you're worthless.

Kill yourself, dumb cunt.
>>
>>17229286
Have you lived there your whole life?
If yes, your argument is completely irrelevant.
Also, you only sound like an edgy idiot. Nice job making a fool of yourself.
>>
>>17229306
No I moved here from rural Australia to find work and get educated.

Try finding work outside of Melbourne. This is one of the better places to find work.

I recommend going around to all the cafes in the CBD's and surrounding areas and asking them for waitressing jobs. Min wages is 17/hr so it's not THAT shit. At least you're not working for fucking tips like in burgerland.

Now if you'd please stop being a burden on the Australian tax payer and get a job, please.
>>
>>17229324
Been trying. Why else do you think I'm trying to bullshit Chinese?
>>
>>17229339
Alternatively, you can go to university. In Australia, we don't make you get into huge debt for your basket weaving degree.

If you haven't finished highschool, go and finish your VCE at a TAFE or at RMIT in the city. That way you can meet some new friends as well. After that enrol into university and get more government dollars to study) 450 per fortnight for being a student)

That way you can put off work for 4 years or so, whilst slightly increasing your employability.
>>
>>17229339
Also, if you need to buy weed, it's really easy to get in Melbourne.

http://melbourne.craigslist.com.au/search/sss?sort=date&query=420

Thank me when you're high.
>>
>>17229347
Well, I kind of want to move out of here by the end of the year.
October, specifically. That's when the lease on the rented house we're in expires. It'd be a little awkward if they moved all my shit to the new house, and then I moved out a month or two later.
>>
>>17229352
America sucks, loser
>>
>>17229353
>Bf lives there
>A shit ton of youtube vids are blocked in Australia
>Can't even have pepper spray so no going out at night for me
>Lag on every online game in existence
>The dollar is worth shit

I know most are mundane reasons butye.
>>
>>17229356
>who cares
>who cares
>stop being a pussy
>videogames are degenerate
>>
You 100% don't need to know Chinese to get a job in Melbourne... What area are you in?

If you've got decent social skills you should be able to get a job at Apple, Myer/David Jones, Waitress, etc.

Should be easy??
>>
>>17229365
It's also the fact that they don't give a shit about my prior job experience in the states.
>>17229364
>who cares for first one
You've never loved someone have you?
>>
>>17229368

What job experience did you have? It's possible that you're not representing your past job experience in a way that is beneficial/relevant to the jobs you're going after.
>>
>>17229371
I worked in retail when I graduated high school and had to quit when we moved to Australia.
>>
>>17229368
>19
>capable of serious relationship

just lmao my shit up senpai
>>
>>17229368
>It's also the fact that they don't give a shit about my prior job experience in the states.
I'm more inclined to believe that you're not presenting your job experience in a way that's suitable to job hunting in Australia. A brief resume is not what they use in Australia, you need a more detailed CV
>>
>>17229376

What kind of jobs are you going for? If you've got legitimate retail experience and some sort of highschool education you shouldn't struggle too much to get a job honestly.

To be honest, the issue might actually be with your CV / Resume, as opposed to your qualifications.
>>
>>17229377
Well shit dog, I didn't know everyone had to be 30 in order to have a serious relationship. You must want to feel superior. Picking on young people sure is fun isn't it grandpa?
All of my previous ones have been shit. This is the first mature man I've met.
>>17229378
>>17229379
You two are probably correct. I should get in contact with my job seeking agency and have them help me tidy up my CV.
>>
>>17229379
Why even bother working? You make more on Centrelink then you would working some trash min wage slave job in the USA. Just go buy drugs and be a neet, how hard is it to figure out that you literally just won the lottery of life my moving the the worlds most livable city?

http://www.invest.vic.gov.au/why-melbourne/the-worlds-most-liveable-city
>>
>>17229383
Yes it is :(
>>
>>17229383

You're welcome to do what you want, but a job seeking agency shouldn't be necessary for finding a job; neither should they be entirely needed for writing a high quality CV.

I used:

https://www.monash.edu.au/students/career-connect/apply-for-a-job/resume-samples.html

As the basis for writing my resume, and didn't have any issues finding employment. I think the most important thing is describing your work experience in a way that paints you as the perfect employee for the job you're applying to.

Regardless, keep your head up; you'll get a job soon enough... Worst case, businesses will begin their seasonal hiring, and you should have a better chance then... Are you eastern suburbs?
>>
>>17229389
I am eastern suburbs, yes.
Well I do have a job seeking agency. It's partnered with centrelink and I'm required to go see them to continue receiving payments.
>>
>>17229393

Makes sense, Eastern Suburbs is mostly asian, especially around Box Hill... You could try printing off a bunch of CV's and heading over to Chadstone / Doncaster / Forest Hill malls, to try and find a job.

Didn't know about the Centrelink job seeking agency.. I moved here 4 years ago, and I don't qualify for govt. assistance. :\
>>
>>17228637
man. I'm 19 from Melbourne and have been living here all my life. Used to live around easter suburbs too, Doncaster and box hill. you 100% don't need to speak chinese. This is literally the dumbest thing i've ever heard. every single person i know has a job and they can not say hello in chinese. Yes there are a lot of chinese in the eastern suburbs but you go to Westfield or something and most of the retail is white. you have some chinese take away and thats it theres so many retail stores and take aways/resturants its ridiculous.

from the eastern suburbs is also easy to get to the city. 25-30 min by train or bus. depending on where you live.

i know quite a few people who came here and don't speak chinese NOR fluent english and could get a job in the CBD within days, but I'm guessing your self-entitled lazy ass can't be bothered going to look for one.

If you're not working, take the fucking bus around and explore. The fact that you're staying in your bedroom all day just means you're being a shy little bitch.

I mean fuck me one of these commenters or myself could get you a job if thats what you had asked instead of posting some contrived bullshit about having to speak chinese.

I don't know what your ethnic background is, but there are cultural hubs for every ethnicity around Melbourne, so that could be something you could look for.

Go to Melbourne University and sit in some lectures of content that you're interested in, no one will know. that is if you're really that bored and are a human capable of basic social interaction.
>>
Why don't you use that money for a course at a local TAFE and get some actual employment skills and qualifications.
>>
>>17229722
This
OP is retarded
Probably hasn't even discovered the trains or the trams yet.

I repeat, OP IS RETARDED
>>
Volunteer while you're job hunting so you have at least one Australian reference and don't look like a complete degenerate.
>>
>>17228637

Do you have many friends in Melbourne yet OP?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.