[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
learning to like music you don't like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: house near a lake.jpg (205 KB, 625x416) Image search: [Google]
house near a lake.jpg
205 KB, 625x416
how can I like genres of music I don't like at all? I think I need it to be more sociable
>>
shouldn't this be on /mu/?
>>
>>17223496
are you a musician or are you just trying to fit in?
>>
If you listen to them enough, you can force yourself to like them. At least with me. I used to listen to only metal/rock but now I'm really into hip hop/rap
>>
Tell us what type of music you would want to like, and which artists you've listened to in those genres, and we might recommend something 'better'
>>
>>17223511

Mainstream rap i still stray from, but hip-hip is where it's at. Metalhead here too.

>>17223496
OP you could deconstruct the song/music and find parts that you like and build up to liking the genre. For me, lyrics are very important. I can't respect an artist that repeats themselves x100 in one song.
>>
>>17223517
naming the artists in kind of a pain, so i'll just mention the genres:

rock
country
rap
hip hop
metal
pop
shoegaze
punk
techno/dance
>>
>>17223522
Well, if you can't name a few artists from at least some of the genres, it's going to be pretty difficult to pin down exactly what would serve as a better alternative in each.

>techno/dance
do you listen to any electronic music at all?
>>
>>17223551
yeah I listen to electronic music by which you mean electronic instruments are used

on rock I've only listened to dad-rock. it's fine but I'm not crazy about it
>>
>>17223496
Maybe just try to appreciate it to start. Then you may grow to like it. I find listening to artist interviews gives you an appreciation if their influences, struggles and their character. Then their music may seem more appealing to you.
>>
>>17223565
By 'electronic music' I'm mostly referring to synth, drum machine and modular and computer based music.

>Aphex Twin/AFX
>Squarepusher
>Clark
>Amon Tobin
>Boards of Canada
>Venetian Snares

If you want to check out some non-dad rock, try
>Interpol
>Bloc Party
>Radiohead
>Blur
>Nirvana

Do you like your music easy on the ears? Where do you source the music you do listen to from?
>>
>>17223609
the 4chan /mu/ sharethreads

And yeah I listen to a lot of electronic music of that type. I only listen to aphex twin on your list, but I also enjoy stuff like for example, aloof proof or ONP
>>
>>17223628
also drone. I listen to massive amounts of drone
>>
>>17223632
Like what, Sunn O))) and Boris?
Are you into Ulver? Coil?

As I started getting a better understanding of what makes music good, I begun to listen to the quality of production and the craftsmanship and skills, rather than the 'sound'. Although I don't really listen to a lot if different genres, and only a certain selection of artists, I can easily appreciate a great variety of music and recognise it when I hear something good. That helps in the sociable-aspect.

If you're into Aphex Twin, you should check out the other IDM-artists I listed. I'm also thinking Autechre. But listening to these artists won't automatically make you more sociable, since a lot of people haven't heard of them.

See if you can get into pop/indie/house
>Beck
>Sia
>Gorillaz
>Modeselector
>Jamie XX
>D'Angelo (late stuff)
>Grizzly Bear
>Alt-J
>The Knife (early stuff)
>Why?
>Moderat
>Battles (not the newest album, yawn)
>Goldfrapp
>Bon Iver
>Emilie Nicolas
>Dawn Richard

Just from ontop me head.
Listen to the production, be open and just let go of any aversions you got.
>>
>>17223720
alright i'll try this
>>
>>17223632
Different guy here, can you rec me some more stuff like Boris's "Feedbacker" if you heard that? Already listened to everything Earth put out
>>
Dude, your music taste is totally acceptable.

If you really want some music that everybody hates, try something more like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGaEjYS2Bpo
>>
>>17223736
Have you tried hakobune? marble sky?
>>
>how do I listen to music to be a good poser
FTFY
>>
>>17223496
life is too short to listen to music you dont like.
>>
>>17223806
thanks for this desu
>>
>>17223806
This is totally awesome.

>>17223736
>>17223736
never heard boris's feedbacker.
>>
>>17223837
never heard of them. thanks
>>
>>17223720
IDM man.

Try listening to TOBACCO. He's been around forever making dope sludgetronica. Listen to the album Fucked Up Friends
>>
>>17224026
yeah, cheers man. I've listened to both Ultima II Massage and Fucked Up Friends a couple of years back. Thanks for the reminder.

While we're at it, I'd recommend Nosaj Thing.

And OP, if you're still around and want to check out some postrock, look up Mogwai and Silver Mt. Zion
>>
>>17223609
Amon Tobin's work is sample based though.
>>
>>17224427
>mostly
I know, I'd rather not leave him out.
Squarepusher's got a live album where the only instrument is an electric bass. He also got LPs 100% programmed on computers. Electronic music is electronic.

>I won't techno for an answer.
>>
>>17223496
I think you have to understand what each genre is about, before I liked trance music I couldnt tell apart a really shitty song from a good one. You cant put a trance song to the same standards as a rock song, in a rock song you are looking for good and unusual melodies and harmonies, in trance is all about the tempo and rythm
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.