[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vomiting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
Dear /adv/

I've spent much of my life with a phobia of vomiting. I would no longer say I have a phobia--more of an obsession at this point--but I do have very limited experience with the subject. I've only thrown up something like 10 times in my life. And the last one was five years ago.

Anyway, I'm quite interested in the subject. You might call it an obsession.

I'd love it if you all could tell me what you know about it. Perhaps share some experiences you've had throwing up. Talk about what it's like. How you feel about it? Does it frighten you? How long does it take you to recover after you throw up? How often do you throw up?

Thanks!
>>
HEY OPIE ARE YOU ME? It's called emetophobia. I've gone many years without vomiting knock on wood. I don't know how normal people can't be fucking terrified. It's an awful feel.

The worst feels are when you're sick and you have to do it
>>
I used to throw up on command. I was a really shity kid, and whenever I didn't get my way I'd throw up on everything. My max was 7 times in a row with only a pause to breath. Can't do it anymore though, and I really don't want to.
>>
>>17221860
Interesting.
Can you describe how exactly you did it? How you figured it out?
>>
>>17221852

I went three weeks without showering. Dried blood all over my head. Pus growing out of a wound on my hand.
Vomitting doesn't seem so bad now, I have gotten dry heaves, but there are other worse feelings.
>>
>>17221877
Yes there are tons of worse feelings. It's why it's a phobia. It's all in your head. An irrational fear. Even I recognize this and wish I wasn't so terrified
>>
>>17221877
What does that have to do with vomiting?
Did you also have emetophobia before this incident?
>>
>>17221852
How long have you had emetophobia?

Do you have any specific memories of throwing up that you consider traumatic?

Does it affect your life at all, other than when you're sick/feel like you're going to get sick?
>>
>>17221865
It's kind of fuzzy, cause I was only like five or six, but I'd start thinking of eating tons of grease while forcing myself to dry heave, my mouth would start filling with spit and after a few minutes I'd start rapid fire vomiting.
Can't give much more then that, because I only remember making my parents life hell when they tried to make me eat good food or not buy me something
>>
>>17221899
Huh. So would you gag or heave or just like, spew? Like a burp?
>>
>>17221904
It was the full bend over with hands on knees and blow chunks, but I would walk a few feet and keep doing it as to spread the vomit everywhere around the area.
>>
>>17221826
Drink enough alcohol regularly until you almost look forward to throwing up. Vomiting is literally your body clearing you of poisons and bad food and you should be thankful that the human body can even do it.
>>
>>17221930
Jesus christ man, if I had met you as a kid it would have been like Batman vs Joker, except Batman would be pissing his pants and hiding in the corner.

OP, ex-phobic here. I became heavily phobic when I was about 6 years old, when my baby sister had extreme acid reflux that led to her being hospitalised at least twice for choking on her own vomit (she nearly died on several occasions and has permanent scarring from it.)

Spent years absolutely terrified (the sound, smell, sight of vomit all made me freak out to extremes, I would literally jam my fingers in my ears and run away humming to block out everything) and currently I have gone roughly 14 years without vomiting (over half my life at this point.)

I may have (mostly) recovered now, but I still can't stand the idea of my own vomit (the experience was always pretty terrifying as a kid) so I take what steps I need to to keep my stomach calm.

You are probably wondering how I recovered at all - no big secret here, I fell in love with someone who has (had) a weak stomach. She has always had trouble with nerves, and the relationship with me actually made it worse for a time (she was always so excited to see me, but that would set her off) but she has improved a lot overall. Extreme nerves still set her off a bit, but it's more manageable for her now.

Might seem like a strange combo, a woman who has a nervous stomach and a guy who freaks out at the very thought of vomit, but it just kinda clicked for me - what was more important to me, her or fear? And if I was with any woman I would end up dealing with morning sickness at some point anyway, so the idea that I should leave her over vomit just seemed stupid.

So I made the conscious choice to be with her, and I swallowed my fear. And eventually it wasn't fear anymore, it was just disgust (I mean vomit is still disgusting, so thats a natural reaction.) But I can be around a sick person, clean up after our cats, and when we have kids, I'll be ready.
>>
>>17222142
(not the other guy, I'm a new guy)
Huh, you have similar experiences like I did.

I developed a fear of vomiting when 2 things happened. My mother was pregnant with my unborn brother, and she was hurling like a volcano. That awful gurgling roar of death brought fear to my little 7 year old ass, and I covered my ears, running, sream-hum-singing all while in a curled up position on the floor of the 2nd living room.

So, eventually, I slowly got better until one day.
>Be fat 12 year old
>eat the shittiest things imaginable
>birthday party for cousin
>ate very greasy, very burnt bacon that morning
>10 strips
>somehow, snuck 2 tubs of cake frosting into my gut
>entire tubs of cake frosting is what I ate after bacon
>mixed all that with a bag of mexico-branded limon-flavored cheetos
>had cake eventually
>didn't wash hands after playing in dirt, so cake was tainted when it entered me
>mixed that with coke to feel better because tummy ache
>throat is thinning
>7 vomits occured that night

Then my fear progressed and I actually stopped eating for an entire month due to that fear. I lost 120 pounds at the cost of being a worn-down balloon.

I ate again eventually, and I slowly ate more healthily. I won't say I'm totally healthy, but I'm not eating that combination again.
>>
>>17222193
That sounds like a miserable experience. The last time I remember puking was a day after I ate at Burger King. I don't think it was actually the cause, I think the cause was a virus, but I was super sick - shit myself a tiny bit in the last 5 mins of the school day, walked home in a haze of trying not to shit everywhere, made it home, damn near explosive diarrhoea, sudden extreme nausea, puke in my sisters potty, and all I can taste is BK mayo and chunks of Mandarin I had eaten earlier that day.

Was so sick that I spent 2 days in bed, when I finally got out and tried to shower, I passed out due to low blood pressure, just about knocked my front teeth out.

Let's just say I am very glad that was the last time I got a stomach virus.
>>
>>17222273
Damn, that sucked.

The funny thing is that I also had that same virus. After those seven vomits, literally an entire week passed with me having explosive, lava-hot, gasoline-textured mess leaving my bum. There was no vomit anymore, but it got replaced with my legs hugging the toilet for an entire 8 hours a day. I was eating crackers, bananas, and fucking Gatorade that whole week. And it STILL did not let up.

I never had blood problems, but I always ended up exhausted after shitting so much, and so intensely. Dear god, I could remember sleeping 15 hours trying to set myself free from the pain.

It also gladdens me that this was my 2nd-to-last tummy bug (my official last one was just the runs).
>>
>>17221826
I've come to appreciate it for what it is: relief. The hours of nausea and fever dreams are much more uncomfortable than <1min of bllaaaarrfggghhhgg

Then you feel good and go mimis.
>>
>>17223293
Were you phobic at all? Because (for me personally) the last time I was sick was a night worth of torture that I would have traded for needles being jabbed into my spine (and I am sure many phobic people would probably say something similar about their own phobias.)

Not saying you are wrong, just saying phobias are totally irrational.
>>
>>17223313
I guess I should have specified.

I had an acute fear as a child but nothing more than that. I just got over it.

Tip in general: eating fruit makes your vomit taste not bad so there's some incentive to not eat shit.
>>
>>17221826

So how do you guys actually throw up? Like what does it feel like? Does it hurt?
>>
>>17223585
I assume it's the same as everyone else, but the sheer terror make it feel much worse than it really is. Same as someone who might faint at the sight of blood - we just react differently to a fairly mundane event.

I don't believe the phobia leads to physical pain (it didn't for me), but emotional distress is very likely.
>>
>>17223585
A simple puke, no it doesn't hurt at all really.

It only starts to really hurt your chest and throat when you can't puke the food out of your system.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.