[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tl;dr fired for being a bastard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: url.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
I just got fired from my job on the grounds of "lying or being deceptive during my candidacy" because I "misrepresented my having a disability".

Here's what happened.

>got an interview at a state university doing IT repair work (basically going around fixing computers, hardware stuff)
>really needed the job but think i could probably help my chances if i show up in a wheelchair
>the day before, i sit in the chair, and ride around at home. i know it's kind of in an ethical grey area, but hey, i need a paycheck
>decide i'm going to sit in my grandmother's unused manual wheelchair for the interview
>arrive to the premesis on the day of the interview, take the elevator up and see a slight look of suprise on the interviewer who greets me
>"oh, hi, anon, er, right this way..."
>in the interview room definitely treating me differently, and more politely than i'm used to
>blast through all the technical questions
>standard interview questions "how do you handle conflict, where do you see yourself in 5 years"
>then, the question
>"So, Anon, just for the recond, this position requires that you be able to lift up to 50 pounds... Does your condition accomodate that?"
>"My condition?"
>"Er, well, yes, you use a wheelchair?"
>heres the crafty part
>"I am in a wheelchair, yes; but lifting 50 pounds would not be a problem."
>see the interviewer feeling a bit awkward
>"Okay, well we'll let you know of the outcome soon"

>basically, i get a call later that day offering me the job, and starting next tuesday.
>show up to work, not in the wheelchair, obviously
>HR person definitely notices
>"Um, anon, wern't you in a wheelchair on Friday?"
>explain that yes, i used the wheelchair on Friday, but I am not using it today, or most days
>they ask me in to the HR person's room for a quick discussion with the head boss, and they determine that my employment contract is going to be null and void due to above mentioned reasons
>>
wtf, i know it was wrong, and i got what i deserved, but can they really fire me for NOT being disabled, /adv/?

What do I do now
>>
Why didn't you just stay in the wheelchair for work? Surely you should have realized they would have questioned the fact you weren't in a wheelchair after attending the interview in one
>>
>>17219158
yeah, but i thought i could convince them that i'm disability fluid, or something
>>
I hope you pointed out its bullshit to hire to fill diversity quota bullshit.
>>
>>17219170
"disability fluid" lol wat

dude you should of had more of a game plan worked out before hand, really should have researched a disability that allowed you to walk some of the time but not all of the time. Then wrote that in the "Do you consider yourself to have a disabilty?" section of the form, at least then your behaviour would have been explained ahead of time and the first day either way it would have been better to show up in the wheel chair.

I guess in future don't pretend to be disabled? They can't fire you for not being disabled but they've clearly figured out you've pretended to be disabled to get the job and if you try contest that it wouldn't go well I imagine
>>
>>17219170
Lawyer up and go for this. I want to see SJWs back you and fight legit disabled people like military vetrans
>>
You misrepresented yourself. They took pity on you, not realizing you're actually some kind of weekend at Bernie's type cartoon character. Seriously what the fuck, who does that shit?
>>
>>17219186
Aks a lawyer. I could totally see you winning a lawsuit against them for this.

If I were you I would have used a temporary injury as an excuse though.
>>
>>17219153
Stop being a fucking moron. You did wrong. You knew it. You got busted for it. You deserved it.

Learn to be a man with some goddamn self respect and integrity
>>
>>17219153
>but can they really fire me for NOT being disabled, /adv/?
They can fire you for lying on your resume or in your interview. Especially since you lied about being in a protected class.

This is not entirely a good thing. There are people who really do need to use a wheelchair on some days, but not others. They sometimes get mistaken for people doing what you did. Thanks for validating the fucking stereotype, asshole.

>>17219170
>yeah, but i thought i could convince them that i'm disability fluid, or something
You'd need to have done a lot more homework to make that happen.
>>
>>17219150
That's a lot of greentext even for bait.
>>17219153
It's not called being fired if you were never even actually hired. You didn't even finish the HR process meaning you weren't on payroll.
>>17219170
Disability fluid, confirmed for bait, but I like this term. Pretty good one bro.
>>17219206
This guy is an idiot or trolling you. I hope it's the latter.
>>
You fucking idiot. You could have just said you were recovering from an injury, and showed up in a leg cast or back brace, then tell them the doctor gave you the OK to take it off, then show up with a cane next week, then jut be normal.

Cause I actually wonder, this is basically what happened to George Costanza on Seinfeld. If you go to interview with a mobility device because of an injury, surely they wouldn't probe questions about your disability, and nor can they discriminate you for misleading them if you are actually disables, but healed.
>>
The fuck is disability fluid?

Do you have a disability where you turn into a fluid?

Fuck you scum
>>
>>17219315
>The fuck is disability fluid?
If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably an indistinguishable-from-parody of the concept of gender fluidity. One could draw parallels to the transethnic and transabled crowds.
>>
>>17219153
>

YES THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU. Most disabled people don't get hired because disability disqualifies them. Companies don't really want to deal with dissability problems. That's why you also see this question
>Can you do the job with/without accomodation?

Fuck you anon.
>>
>>17219288
This. You should have just said that whatever you had got better.
>>
>>17220368
>transethnic
That'd be fucking amazing. You could run around on friday raping old ladies, selling drugs to children and murdering whole families just for the sake of stealing their tv, then get up on saturday like "oh, I'm not feeling all that black today" and be able to do stuff like having a job and talking to your dad.
>>
>>17219259
>Especially since you lied about being in a protected class.
i never lied about being disabled. they asked me if i was disabled, and i only said "I am in a wheelchair"

>>17219234
i know what you mean, but fwiw, i'm a grill
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.