[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Studying in Japan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 2000px-Nihongo_Horizontal.svg.png (65 KB, 2000x663) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Nihongo_Horizontal.svg.png
65 KB, 2000x663
I am studying Japanese in school, have a good grade in it as well. Should I try to study in Japan as an exchange student? Is it worth it? Will I hate my life?
>>
>>17213777
I love it in Japan and being there is the fastest way to learn. Im not a weeb tho so if you have an idealized view of Japan you might get disillusioned. The culture shock is one of the toughest things, and manners at times can feel almost stifling. Food there is awesome though and younger people are generally friendly. If you go to central Tokyo there are enough foreigners that you won't feel too out of place.
>>
>>17213794
Not a weeb here either.

I don't know who to ask this so sorry but.. Is it possible to smoke dat dank 420 in Japan? Is it easy to get a hold of dealers and not get caught?
>>
>>17213805
Most of my friends do but it's one of the easiest drugs to get caught doing because of the smell. I'd smoke in someone else's apartment if possible because your neighbors will likely narc on you. The japanese have a very narrow view of drugs. Also prices are like 30-50% higher for weed. If you have a decent network of foreigners you can find weed pretty easily.
>>
>>17213825
tyty, i'll be applying this summer.
>>
>>17213777
Japs hate foreigners.
They'll smile and bow, but that's their culture.
Japanese culture is all about appearances, not results.
Like, if you look like you're working hard, then that's all that matters. Results be damned.

It's a bit twisted. Like if you talk to natives, they'll be all like "Hai, hai". But then not do anything you told them to. Because they weren't agreeing to do what you told them, but rather registering that you told them something.

Also, don't move to military base cities.
They hate Americans there.

Never expect to ever be trusted there.
Even if you make it to a true friendly time (that is, getting shitfaced on sake), they'll still not trust you.

Japs hate everyone that's not Japanese. Kinda like Koreans. It's just how centuries of war and oppression have taught them.

Their women love whites, tho
>>
>>17213868
Not American. Swedish. The military base shit doesn't apply to me :)
>>
>>17213872
Japanese are very stereotyping.
So if you tell them that you're a Swede, they'll expect a blond 6'3'' guy with a big beard and maybe a giant axe at home.

If you are blond, though, expect people to stare. They don't give a shit.
Especially if you're over 6'00.
>>
>>17213888
I don't know what 6'00 means. I'm around 180 cm tall with brown dark hair. Will I survive?
>>
>>17213915
With that hair and that short height, they'll expect you to be American.
It's a bit tall for a Japanese, but not really tall.
Danes are a lot taller.

The thing is, Japanese will always see you as a secondary person.
Learn Japanese, integrate, and all that shit.
You'll still be foreign.

You can still enjoy yourself, but don't expect to ever really feel "at home"
>>
>>17213932
average height in denmark is 180.4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_average_human_height_worldwide
dude pls

also, thanks for the info
>>
>>17213941
I guess it's the Dutch who are taller now.
It used to be Danes.
But I guess you guys have had too many dark haired immigrants.
>>
What's your Japanese level? Immersion is the absolute best way to go, but if you're not very good/confident with your Japanese, avoid Tokyo. They will see you being white and immediately speak English and be very stubborn about using it. Forget about ordering in a restaurant for example, you'll say お水ください and they'll answer "Water? OK!" Plus a lot of people there are just itching for a chance to get a free English conversation class out of you. It's no problem if you're able to hang in Japanese and project confidence in your ability to converse in it, but that's not most students. So I recommend the countryside, where people aren't used to foreigners, slacked off in high school English the way you did in high school French, and are embarrassed to try to speak it, so they're relieved when you speak Japanese with them.

Wonderful place, get a bike, ride everywhere.
>>
>>17214000
I know Hiragana & Katakana, got an A in Japanese this term, just started studying Kanji. Thank's for the heads up about Tokyo, I'll avoid it. Okinawa would be great imo, do you agree?
>>
>>17214036

Never been there, but Okinawa is like a whole different culture. I don't know if they speak a weird dialect there or not (this is the one thing about the countryside...if you live up in Tohoku for example, most people won't understand a word you're saying, if you pick up the local accent/dialect.) It might be that they speak pretty standard Japanese because they are a late addition to the empire, but that is pure speculation on my part.

ALSO: Okinawa hates Americans, and you are white, so you are American. But it's fucking beautiful there as far as I can tell. Plusses and minuses.
>>
I'm Asian America, visited Japan twice, loved it. I mentioned this because I also did study abraod in Japan, and my white classmates hated it because they felt out of place. I didn't have this kind of issue, but you most certainly will. You might learn a lot of Japanese due to necessity, but you might also get a lot of Japanese people try to speak bad English to you.

>>17214036
Don't go to Okinawa or Hokkaido for Japan. Go to some place like Ishikawa.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.