[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My girlfriend is really pumped about going to art school, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (792 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.png
792 KB, 640x960
My girlfriend is really pumped about going to art school, and she got accepted. However, it's just a decent one in a really small country. I'm afraid she'll be unemployable. This is a huge step and I want to make sure she doesn't fuck it up. She LOVES physics, and I'd rather have her study that instead.

What do I do? She's so hung up on doing this and I don't want to hurt her feelings. I'm already telling her to start pursuing applicable skills while she studies (Photoshop+Illustrator, webdev, etc), but I don't want to come off as arrogant and condescending to her.
>>
Clearly you don't your gf that well if she LOVES physics yet chose to do art?

Even to me it clear she loves art more.
>>
>>17211195
Tell her to do what makes her happy and be there to catch her if she falls is my only advice.
>>
>>17211205
I've seen her talk about physics firsthand and how she spends hours talking about theory like it's nothing. She really fucking loves it. I feel she underestimates her abilities because of all the math and prefers to stick to art because she feels it's easier for her instead.
>>
>>17211207
Of course, it's implied and I'm totally cool with it. But I feel she hasn't thought this through and it's a really pricey investment. I'm a third year student in college and I know how it's like to spend a shitton of time and money for your education. The pressure is real. I just want to help her out.
>>
Study hard so you have a good job at the end of it so she can be a kept women.

Last thing you want is for her to get a better job then you and then become aspirational.

Support her hobby, make sure she is dependable on you, get her pregnant and then fat and she'll never leave you.
>>
>Actually, I am sick of people choosing "art" as a degree, and making parents pay huge money for it.

Look, if a girl is really talented and loves her job, she will get a job, no matter what. Not a slacker who whines on tumblr, how he overslept an exam or shit.
If she got admitted to a "decent" one, and there was indeed competition, than don't stop her. You eventually get better than others in things you do a lot. She'll make it.
You should've tried to talk her out before she got accepted, doing it now will be being a total dick.

>>17211205
Hahaha, there are tons of people who love talking about string theory, but there are far less physicists. Dude, if she doesn't love math well, there aren't any fancy employment prospects for physics major either. She could have been a not-routine-work engineer or an architect, though you need to love what you design most of all there. At least know well.

>physics freshman "preparing" for calculus exam here. At least in my uni, it's presumed you aced school math, otherwise you can't solve a single problem both in physics and math.
>>
>>17211220
Oh, wait, how pricey? Does that mean they get everyone admitted, just to have the money? Paying for a degree that doesn't pay is kinda shit.

I forgot that in some countries education is always paid. She can't get any scholarship to cover it up?

So.
Objectively look at her works, and if she is a second Michelangelo then don't stop her. If nothing stands as peculiar, well.
And if she wants to study postmodernist, cubist, abstract art in school, drag her out of it.
I can't imagine people buying that for the sake of art.
>>
>>17211246
Yeah you're right. Thanks for the rude awakening. I've just seen so many horror stories on art majors and I know her potential on other fields. She's smart, and I know she can do it. But I'm not going to try to stop her because in the end it's her choice and she'll figure it out. My field is similar (IT), where you need to constantly move and learn, otherwise you're fucking useless.
I don't think arts are useless like those edgy STEMlords do. I respect people who go through it, but it's tough competition, and I think she simply lends herself well to other things, too. Guess you're right anyway.
>>
>>17211252
Cheaper than most US unis. I haven't exactly checked, but Puerto Rico is pretty cheap compared to other universities. I pay a total of 3k for 30 credits in my uni for example. Debt won't be that bad. Buuuuuut, considering materials aren't cheap, and her entire family is kicking her out... She's going to have to pay for her health insurance, car insurance and expenses, phone bill, rent... She's gonna be fucked up the ass with debt since public transportation is cancer since it ain't no NY.
>>
>>17211262
Also, forgot: her art is pretty fine, I like them. But they're not the ABSOLUTE best, pinnacle of the medium or anything. That's why I suggested she learn web development, Photoshop, and Illustrator since she could get hired as a front end web developer and/or graphic artist if she markets herself well. Art could be flexible like that if you're smart about it. You'll have to work so much more though.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.