[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, can you guys help me out? So I recently purchased a Gam
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: gamecube.jpg (7 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
gamecube.jpg
7 KB, 300x168
Hey, can you guys help me out?
So I recently purchased a Gamecube and was wondering how to get the best image quality. When hooked up to my HDTV with composite cables, it seems to produce a very low resolution image (240p, I believe). The picture is just too muddy. From the research I've conducted, it appears that component cables result in the best image quality, however they're a tad bit expensive.

Do you guys have any suggestions for getting the optimal Gamecube experience?

Here is a video demonstrating the difference between composite and cable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl_DuTaN_v8
>>
you're better off getting a rig good enough to run dolphin with graphical mods for the games you enjoy playing if you care that much about it imo
>>
Hook it up to a crt tv you mong.
>>
>>17210338
Competitive melee player here. You don't put a GameCube on an HDTV numbnuts. It'll look ugly and lag on one. You have to buy a CRT, hell some people put them outside their house to throw away. Just get a crt.
>>
>>17211411
would game cube games play through a wii on a HDTV look fine? not op, just wondering.
>>
File: Harrison-Crossing-Store-1.jpg (662 KB, 2847x1924) Image search: [Google]
Harrison-Crossing-Store-1.jpg
662 KB, 2847x1924
All those "expensive" parts you need? I see them fairly regularly at thrift stores. Including a good CRT TV.
>>
>>17211436
>would game cube games play through a wii on a HDTV look fine? not op, just wondering.
It depends. Gamecube games that supported progressive scan still support it on the Wii, but that's still just 480p. If your HDTV can display 480p well, then that'll work, but some HDTVs aren't so good at that.

Gamecube games that didn't support progressive scan still don't support it on the Wii, and will drop to 480i just like they used on the Gamecube.
>>
>>17210338
>240p, I believe
480i. Same resolution as 480p, but half the effective framerate, because each frame (rather, each "field" in this context) only has half of the horizontal lines in the image. Every other line is skipped, and those lines will be drawn in the next field.

There are two big things that make 480i not equivalent to 240p. One is horizontal resolution: discounting widescreen, 240p has 320 columns, while 480i has 640. The other is framerate: 240p operates at about 60 frames per second, while 480i operates at about 60 fields per second (1 frame = 2 fields).
>>
>>17211411
this, it's not hard to find crts. If you're planning on getting into melee, just make a post in your region's facebook asking for a spare crt.
>>
Gamecube component cables are expensive. Someone reverse engineered them, even made direct HDMI out for the Gamecube, but no hardware, meaning you have to do everything yourself.

But when it comes to video quality, the big problem is that GameCube outputs 480i or 480p at best. It's going to look bad on a HDTV no matter what, but component is going to be better than composite. S-video is good enough for 480i, but it doesn't support 480p. If you really want component, the best way is using a Wii with Wii Component cables.

>>17211436
Wii component output is not as good as the Gamecube component output, but it's really not that noticeable.
>>
>>17211608
thanks for the reply. i rarely play video games these days but i used to be really into games and i would often play retro games. my favorite console is probably the dream cast, its magical.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.