[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just graduated from college and I'm trying to find
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: he4zwyr45o0x.jpg (196 KB, 720x1176) Image search: [Google]
he4zwyr45o0x.jpg
196 KB, 720x1176
So I just graduated from college and I'm trying to find a job that's relevant to my degree (applied mathematics), but I need money in the meantime. I've applied to a few grocery stores because I have 3+ years of experience working in a grocery store, so I figured it would be pretty easy to get back into it.

Just today I was told that I basically have the job, I just need to come in and get paperwork together/do the drug test, and I'm assuming they will discuss wages. Seeing as the minimum wage is $9.47/hr in my state, would it be reasonable for someone with 3+ years of experience to ask for somewhere around $14/$15 per hour? Or should I just take what they give me?
>>
bump nigga god damn
>>
>>17209074
What position are you applying for?

If you applied for a minimum wage job you're going to get minimum wage pay.
>>
>>17209074
At a shitty job like that wages are usually non-negotiable. There are plenty of people in line behind you that will gladly take the job if you refuse it
>>
>>17209326
Produce Clerk.

Also that has to be the dumbest shit I have ever heard. With that logic, experience doesn't mean shit when applying for positions.
>>
>>17209335
>With that logic, experience doesn't mean shit when applying for positions.

Experience makes you more likely to get the job but that's fucking it in a job like that.

If you ask for $14-$15 an hour they'll laugh right in your fucking face.

You're applying to be a produce clerk at a grocery store.

An entry level minimum wage job that doesn't require a degree and you want the same pay a manager at the store gets?? Not a chance.
>>
>>17209370
The manager gets quite a bit more than that. I knew people with 6 years of experience as a regular grocery clerk who were making more than the assistant manager, so I don't think you know what you're talking about. Experience does give you bargaining power.
>>
>>17209381
Nope. Your mega wrong. if it's a brand name store they won't even be able to give someone more. As someone who employs people at MW I would just employ the next person on the list.
I bet it won't even come up
>>
>>17209074
All they can do is tell you no, not like they're going to drop you for asking for more money, and y never get more than y ask for.
>>
Ehh. I understand where you're coming from, but at the end of the day it is a business. I highly doubt they will give you much of a raise. If it were me, I'd keep my mouth shut and take the pay, but hey, if you got a pair of balls, bring it up with whoever is in charge. Maybe you won't get $14 or $15 but you could get $11/$12?

Good luck either way. I used to work a job like that, hated every bit of it.
>>
>>17209394
I'm not though. My coworker earned more than an assistant manager. He had been with the store for 6 years, and the Asst. Manager had been there for 4. It was at Fred Meyer, a division of Kroger, too.
>>
>>17209432
Ok. Now let's say you go in and ask and they say no. You get min wage. What will you do?
>>
>>17209432

Dude you're applying for the shittiest of shit tiers jobs and you think you can negotiate? You think experience standing there scanning shit matters? You think they'll give your dumb ass a $6 pay rise?

>b-but I know people who did it
If you did you wouldn't be asking us if you should negotiate.

There's a whole line of teenagers waiting right behind you. Get your head out of your ass.
>>
>>17209468
>standing there scanning shit

>produce clerk

yeah I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about bud.

>>17209458
Take the offer? I'm not gonna walk out on it.

I have been given more than minimum wage in the past because of my experience. I started at $11/hr last time I worked for the company.
>>
>>17209475
The art of negotiation. They'll offer you 9.75, or 10. Then you ask for 15 and settle on 11 or 12.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.