[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I asked this in /mu/ and got no response(yes the MUSIC board
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: index.jpg (6 KB, 256x163) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6 KB, 256x163
I asked this in /mu/ and got no response(yes the MUSIC board go figure)

I want to start learning to play the keyboard but i have no idea where to start? Ive wanted to play for aslong as i can remember but never made the time, well thats changed now, is there any starter kits or decent keyboards that anyone could recommend?
>>
Are there no musicians on 4chan?
>>
>>17207319

Make sure you get a full-sized, 88 key keyboard. Not absolutely necessary but try to get one with hammer touch if possible. It will feel closer to a real piano. Yamaha's have a nice grand piano sound imo. Look for one on craigslist and kijiji. People constantly buy pianos and never end up using them.
>>
>>17207357
Thankyou anon.
>>
Literally Google "how to piano" and from then in use multiple sources on the internet to teach yourself the theory. Youtube is your friend.

Also only do covers when starting to get a feel of playing first. There is no perfect tutorial or anything like that, they all teach the same thing so search
>>
>>17207404

You didn't read his question, retard
>>
>>17207404
Theres just so much choice though anon how do i decide whats worth reading? also are taking classes a sham to sham me out of my money doing things i could do myself or is it worth it?
>>
>>17207464

>are taking classes a sham

A lot of the things you learn as a beginner may seem annoying or unnecessary. But they are building blocks for things that are more complex later on. Taking classes may help you avoid having to undo bad habits you picked up as a beginner later on.
>>
File: 1st20hrs.jpg (18 KB, 224x346) Image search: [Google]
1st20hrs.jpg
18 KB, 224x346
>>17207464
literally just start, fastest way to learn a new skill.

1. Research the skill and related topics.
2. Jump in over your head.
3. Identify mental models and mental hooks.
4. Imagine the opposite of what you want.
5. Talk to practitioners to set expectations.
6. Eliminate distractions in your environment.
7. Use spaced repetition and reinforcement for memorization.
8. Create scaffolds and checklists.
9. Make and test predictions.
10. Honor your biology.
>>
Best way to learn a musical instrument is to get lessons, no doubt about it. There are tons of tiny little things you won't figure out on your own because the techniques used to play have been developed over hundreds of years for some instruments. If you don't want to cough up for lessons that's fine, but there aren't many good ways to develop mastery without them because there's just too much to figure out on your own.
>>
rule are as many keys as possible (go for 88) and then weighted if possible. with these features youre looking at 300 usd. as for lesson you could get an all in one course like alfred or something. its really cheesy but covers everything like technique and theory blah blah. id REALLY recommend getting a teacher at least once a month though because theres's a lot of things you wont notice unless someone points them out for at least a year. have fun being miserable on your piano adventure
>>
>>17207932
>have fun being miserable on your piano adventure

Playing the piano can be so damn rewarding.

You'll start to know what I mean once you can do a chord progression with your left hand while improvising within key with your left hand. You'll naturally begin to chain together riffs and at one point you'll just look back at yourself playing and think, holy shit I'm jamming the fuck out of this piano
>>
>>17207319
It's old, but a classic board and good starter.
Look up the Yamaha DGX-205
>>
>>17207953
jesus i wish i could play at that level. im such a fucking mental clusterfuck i probably should just give up on this instrument
>>
>>17207319
Hey OP. I just bought a keyboard to learn myself about a month ago. Mine has 69 keys which has been plenty. The keys on the ends are very rarely used anyway. I didn't go the traditional piano or keyboard route though.
I bought a midi controller (Alesis Vi69 which is great for the price) and I am using a DAW (digital audio workshop) to power it. A DAW has to be installed on your laptop and the midi controller plugged into the laptop also. I'll give you the pros and cons and you can decide if you want to go that route.
Pros:
If you want to record some cool songs at some point you'll have the correct hardware to do so.
With this set-up your potential instruments and sounds are unlimited.
With enough practice you could do cool shit like Ronald Jenkees ect.
Cons:
Huge learning curve to learn how to setup a DAW.
Midi controllers can do a lot plugged into your computer. But they are useless otherwise. So you can't play in other places unless you bring your whole set up.
I've had a lot of trouble finding a community to join that does this regularly making it even harder to learn.

Im glad I picked this set up. My piano skills are coming along fine because that was easy enough to set up. But the lack of learning resources available for DAW is slowing me down. I left my email if you have more questions or just want to talk about keyboards ect.
>>
I forgot to mention I've been using
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vphWgqbF-AM
To learn piano. He's goofy but does a good job teaching.
>>
>>17208135
>>17208184
i really hope youre not using that setup with the intent to play actual piano music. you will eventually run out of keys and if those keys arent weighted, which they probably arent, your playing wont translate very well at higher level onto a real piano or weighted key digital piano. but its better than nothing i guess
>>
>>17208237
The keys are semi weighted. From what I understand it mimics how real piano keys act but with slightly less weight.
I had to get the 69 key version because of space contrictions where I'm learning and I have to be able to fit it into my locker. The number of keys hasn't been a problem so far. And my midi controller can shift octaves easily. But I haven't had to use that feature.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.