[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I leave Brazil and major in the USA?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
I want to major at biology, having a career in research in mind.
However, I live in Brazil. Even our best university (Universidade de São Paulo) can't provide me a good structure.
To make things better, majoring biology here = teaching; that means having shitty salaries and an awful profession (no disrespect for the teachers, but this is my country's reality).

My two options are either choosing another course or studying outside Brazil. So I ask you: is the latter worth it?
>>
Stay in your own shithole country, we don't need more brownskins coming in and getting preferential treatment in the hiring and enrollment process.
>>
>>17206061

I am talking about being a scientist and a biologist.
It's not like I'm stealing jobs and causing unemployment.

I thought about this already nigger.

1st: Most unemployment is caused by immigrants who take jobs that require no high levels of education.
2nd: On the "high education" careers, the stealing of job offers happens on areas where there is more labour offer than demand (like architecture, where you have 10% unemployment). This, however, isn't the case in science and research.
>>
>>17206197
>Most unemployment is caused by immigrants who take jobs that require no high levels of education.
This is so wrong this is really really wrong
>>
>>17206243
Why?

Most immigrants don't have high levels of education. Therefore they settle for the "low education jobs". However, they also accept lower payments than the average worker (after all, it's still better than the life he had in his country). This makes companies like McDonalds prefer hiring those uneducated Mexicans instead of a native American.
On the "high education" markets, they are only prejudicial in the saturated markets. On the unsaturated ones they are just more labour force.

This is already off topic hahaha.
I will research more on that.

About studying in the US, though, is it actually worth going there.
>>
>>17206040
Brazil is pretty shitty so I'd say go US
>>
>>17206040
Your biggest difficulty will be finding a school that will give financial aid to internationals. These schools are typically extremely competitive (Harvard and MIT, for instance). Google need-blind schools.

There are also some universities that will look more critically at you, but will still offer you full financial aid if they choose to admit you. These are less competitive. Reed College has a fantastic biology program and isn't too hard to get into. I almost went there.

Realistically, unless you have a 3.9+ GPA, 750+ SAT subject test scores, and SAT>2300, you will have to be careful to choose schools you can get into. Remember that as an international you will be disadvantaged.

Good luck! The US is really good at teaching biology, moreso than other majors. You can't go too wrong here.
>>
>>17206040
BR? BR BR BR BR BR BR BR BR BR BR BR BR BR BR BR
>>
>>17206040
Go to US huehuehue
>>
>>17207728
Thanks for replying anon. And where did you study?

>>17207729
>>17207758
fora Dilma viva psdb longa vida ao temer 2018 bolsomito huehue pica relatada
>>
>>17208123
I ended up getting a merit scholarship to Case Western Reserve University, so I went there. It's a great school, but biology is a little overrepresented so it goes against applicants. We have some interesting specialties though, like Systems Biology and Biomaterials.

One thing you might want to think about is taking a gap year, depending on your stats. If you can find a lab to work in, and do some impressive stuff in your spare time, you'll be more competitive for top schools. The competition here is the US intense - I was involved in research in high school, and I was rejected at top ten schools across the board.

I would also recommend applying to state schools. There's some very nice ones with good biology programs, where you might get a good scholarship if you're over the 75th percentile for GPA/test scores. Relying on financial aid as an international is kind of a gamble, so I'd look into schools like University of Alabama that give full rides based on stats.

I hope that helps. I don't know your stats so I made it as general as possible.
>>
>>17206040
>Should I leave Brazil

I didn't read beyond that point but, yes, get outta the favelas, son.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.