[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there an error in our recent society thats comparable to the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: nie.jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
nie.jpg
8 KB, 259x194
Is there an error in our recent society thats comparable to the thought that the earth is flat?
>>
Yes, you.
>>
Men and women are equal.
>>
>>17201014
are asking is there is an error in our society because of conspiracy theories? i hope so, would be an interesting discussion
>>
File: 1457836556516.jpg (97 KB, 531x471) Image search: [Google]
1457836556516.jpg
97 KB, 531x471
>>17201014
being a morbidly obese degenerate who consumes excessive amounts while acting uncivilized and ignoring factual evidence in your decision making all while contributing nothing to society is acceptable.
>>
>>17201047
are you saying it is accepted by society? or accepted by the government due to welfare etc.?
>>
Women deserve rights
>>
Promiscuity has no negative consequences and sexual liberation is good for society.
>>
>>17201058
there are great society that had the same morals i.e rome, ancient greece.
>>
>>17201062
And yet they aren't round anymore.

(They also only adopted those morals towards then end, which contributes to the degradation of their society and eventual downfall. Early Greece and Rome were founded on more "conservative" values, i.e. Pudicitia ).
>>
>>17201062
those great societies were on the downward spiral when these morals and values became commonplace
>>
Global warming seems to be the akin back and forth
>>
>>17201125
you can blame Christianity. if people are well educated, disciplined, what is wrong with sexual liberation? its predominately only plebs that are stupid enough to have kids at 16, and you know, the factories always need more workers. what is your argument against sexual liberation? do you believe it corrupts the generic family image?
>>
>>17201125
The theory of plate tectonics/continental drift was disbelieved in for a damn long time, despite there being clear evidence for it for the first half of the 1900s. It didn't become mainstream til the mid 60s and wasn't universally accepted for about a decade after that.

There's been some significant advancements in anthropology and archaeology in the past couple decades. The idea that prehistoric humans were largely peaceful and rarely practiced warfare has been called into severe question since the late 90s. The downsides of the agricultural revolution have been known for a while longer than that, but haven't percolated into the popular consciousness yet (put briefly, early agriculturalists were overall shorter-lived and less healthy than their hunter-gatherer counterparts, but they were able to sustain larger populations and so they outcompeted them.)

In linguistics, the once very widely-accepted idea that children absorb languages like sponges and that the brain calcifies after a certain point & makes language-learning harder is being seriously questioned these days. Children do acquire and lose ACCENTS much, much easier than adults do, but there's really very little evidence to suggest that they acquire vocabulary or grammar any faster than adults. They might actually acquire it significantly slower. That's a pretty big error.
>>
>>17201163
Meant to reply to the OP, if that wasn't clear. Huwhoops.

I have this niggling feeling that I've left out at least one major scientific misconception that persisted into at least the 70s, but I can't bring it to mind right now. Oh well.
>>
La Guitarra Triste. Look it up
>>
>>17201140
Christianity sexually liberated Greece and Rome? No, it simply took over after the corruption from things like sexual liberation caused them to weaken.

Yes, it breaks down the nuclear family structure, which is the cornerstone of successful civilization.

Another great examples of how sexual liberation destroys society is the early USSR.
>>
that humans have a serious impact on global weather systems
>>
File: Untitled.png (421 KB, 1600x860) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
421 KB, 1600x860
>>17201171
>La Guitarra Triste
Cool song, but what the fuck does that have to do with the topic?
>>
>>17201014
Whether or not vaccinations cause autism. Granted, evidence is still in the mix. Most recent studies find that it does not, but people still grip to it.

And I work with kids with autism, they sometimes get waived of getting vaccinated to attend public school. I don't understand this. Example: The unvaccinated kid still has autism, the parents fear that vaccinations will make them worse, so they do not vaccinate him. And one of my students gave me shingles about two years ago because he never was vaccinated for chicken pox, got it, and passed the virus to me...

Then the outbreaks of serious diseases happen, babies die. I literally do not understand the reasoning behind this. It's like, do you want a kid with autism or a dead kid? All the anuka honey in the world is not going to fucking prevent your kid from whooping cough.
>>
>>17201218
>humans are rational actors
stale meme is stale
>>
That the only authentic feelings are those that come unbidden and uncontrolled.
>>
>>17201218
>Most recent studies find that it does not,
All recent studies find that there is no link. In fact, only one "study" ever suggested otherwise, in quotes because on further scrutiny that study turned out to be a sham. The entire antivax movement, and the deaths it has caused, are the work of one lone crackpot with a legion of dupes.
>>
>>17201014
Small example, but until the discovery of the pyori bacillus, medical opinion was unanimous that stomach ulcers were caused by stress, and generations of sufferers were mistreated.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.