[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't people help other people who are being attack
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 628x866) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 628x866
Why don't people help other people who are being attacked in public?

Exhibit A
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/05/26/two-suspects-charged-in-attack-on-blue-line-rider/
>>
>>17199163
Only a single exhibit? Why bother giving it a letter delineation?

As far as why, it has been the subject of heated psychological debate. It's referred to as the "Bystander effect"

The more people who witness the event, the less likely any one of them is to get involved. They usually think something like "no one else is getting involved, I shouldn't either". It's believed to be a survival instinct from my understanding.

The wiki article is a long read, but explains it well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect
>>
>>17199451
I suspect it's a byproduct of growing up in a mass education setting where all children are expected to act roughly the same and you're a fag if you do anything different.
>>
>>17199451
>It's believed to be a survival instinct from my understanding.
That's interesting, and seems to agree with my view: another big part of it is the fear of taking a hit as well. Easier to feel bad for a victim than to intervene and risk becoming one yourself. We're cowards. Humanity is fun.
>>
>>17199163

Were you ever taught what to do when you see two thugs manhandling someone on a bus?

If you grew up in an institutional setting, you probably had it drilled into your head that you mind your own business and let the authorities handle it.

I don't get why we train kids to be that way and then expect them to suddenly act different as adults.
>>
Read an article on it some time ago in a psych book, author mentioned three reasons:

1) Basically people wait for the Alpha of the group to take action
2) People have become sceptical because of programs like punk’d and online jokers and stuff
3) Risk-Reward analysis being made in your sub consciousness (Brit machete killings)

Happened to me once when I was in the bus from college, we suddenly stopped and a grill came into the bus crying how she failed at performing CPR even though she learned about it in class. The story was that some geezer dropped from his bicycle and didn’t breath. Nobody in the bus responded to the grill but me, I rushed out and tried CPR on the man.

Never felt that disappointed in my fellow human beings. They all just watched from inside the bus.
>>
It's illegal to defend other people['s property] in some states and countries.
>>
>>17199636
sauce on that shit please. Especially the states part, sounds like bullshit to me.
>>
>>17199548
I went to school and I always try to stick my nose into people's business when things seem heated.
>>
File: trumptheprotector.jpg (95 KB, 526x500) Image search: [Google]
trumptheprotector.jpg
95 KB, 526x500
>>17199163
In the 80s, a man named Bernhard Goetz tried to do just that, shooting 4 black muggers. Even though Goetz was cleared of all charges, one of the youths that mugged him successfully sued him for $46 million.

Dindo nuffins.
>>
>>17199548
are you fucking stupid. this kind of thing happens everywhere regardless of education system or lack of education system for that matter

also, noone likes dealing with nigs
>>
>>17199658
>Goetz

In his own testimony he stated he immediately began shooting into them on a crowded subway train without them displaying a weapon or attacking him. After the initial shooting, Goetz noticed that one of the men (who had by then obviously backed off because he was being shot at) was unhurt, so he, in his own words, stated: "You seem to be unhurt, here's another". He then went back on this statement after it was revealed that he hadn't shot one of the boys (and because it looked fucking terrible in the news).

He also ran from the scene of the shooting despite being wanted to discuss what happened.

Goetz is a terrible example.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.