[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Feeling sad because the Universe is so vast and we're insignificant,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: 1445055444928.jpg (589 KB, 1920x886) Image search: [Google]
1445055444928.jpg
589 KB, 1920x886
Feeling sad because the Universe is so vast and we're insignificant, and our life is like a blink of an eye in the grand scale. How should you deal with this as a person?
>>
by ignoring it
>>
>>17197702
By contemplating suicide
>>
>>17197705
Pretty much this. You're a speckle of uniquely patterned water caught in a storm of more. Oh well.
>>
You're insignificant as the little person that we all think we are but our real self is God or the big mind.
>>
>>17197705
Can't make yourself ignore it. Your brain will keep remembering this fact because it's stored in the subconscious.
>>
I recently went through a pretty big existential crisis recently so I kind of understand where you're coming from. If you'll permit me to ramble for a bit, I can tell you my thought process when I get in that kind of mood.

It's true that the universe is infinite, vast, cold, and uncaring. It existed millenia before we did and will exist for millenia afterwards. Our lives ARE only a blink compared to the vast scale of the universe. Everything we do, think, build, or achieve will eventually return to dust, just as we began. This is inescapable, non-negotiable. We cannot fight it, outsmart it, bargain with it. It is the fate of all mankind. I realize thinking this way can seem incredibly counterproductive to the loneliness you're feeling, but understanding and accepting this fact is vital.

Unlike the universe, we have the power of perception. Our lives may be a blink on a cosmic scale, but life is the longest thing you will ever personally experience. You will live every moment, thinking, feeling, reacting, perceiving, pondering, doing. Your life, as it is, is yours and yours alone. For better or for worse, you think and feel every minute from birth to death. Our gift is free will, the ability to choose what we want to do next. As we go about our lives we chase our personal successes--even though they may not matter on a cosmic scale, they matter to us, because we are experiencing them as they happen to us. We get pleasure from success, we take pride in accomplished goals, we feel sadness when faced with loss or grief, we hurt when we are in pain. We are the universe experiencing itself. It matters, because it matters to us.
>>
File: exstin.png (127 KB, 500x479) Image search: [Google]
exstin.png
127 KB, 500x479
>>17197822

Now, granted, not everything is fair. In a perfect world, everyone would be equal/fed/watered/sheltered and everyone would be able to experience life as they want, how they want. But, just as the universe is uncaring, so is the world. Some people will need to work harder than others. While success comes easily to some, to others it's a hard fought battle with many scars along the way. But the beauty of it all is that you and you alone get to decide what success means to you, and how you go about pursuing it.

Sometimes, life really, really sucks. And it will. But sometimes it can be really, really good, too. The only thing you can really control is yourself--you are the captain of your own ship. That ship must be seaworthy and steadfast. And like anything else, the only thing you can control is how you build your ship, and what direction you want to steer it. Now, I'm not telling you to YOLO and get yourself out there and bust your ass, or smile every day or something. It's not as easy as that. Anxiety, apathy, angst, depression... these are not beatable by a catchy phrase you could slap on a wallpaper. It is not hitting the gym six times a week while coming home to work super hard on a ten page essay or a novel each night, working your fingers to the bone at whatever job you do, spurred on by anxiety that every minute is wasted time chasing somebody else's idea of success.

It is about deciding what is best for you, today. Choosing how you want to live your life according to your own set of principles, your values, your virtues. You must accept that everything will be nothing, because it's the only way to really do anything. It might sound weird at first, but after a little bit realizing that nothing actually matters is a little comforting, in a way.
>>
File: tumblr_ml9a3foCpK1rn8gxao1_1280.jpg (258 KB, 912x1075) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ml9a3foCpK1rn8gxao1_1280.jpg
258 KB, 912x1075
>>17197827

I dunno. I wrote some of this out for myself a while ago when I was in a funk and kind of just expanded on it here. I hope it made you think a little, even if you think it's complete bullshit. It's just the thoughts that help me when things get a little too real.

My other favorite thing to read when I start to feel down is from William George Jordan's "The Crown of Individuality" particularly chapter III "Facing the Mistakes of Life". There's an ebook of it here:
http://www.freedomnotes.com/Documents/WGJ/The_Crown_of_Individuality_Full-Page.pdf
>>
Sometimes I wonder if it would've been better if I was born an animal which doesn't know shit about anything, literally just exists. Why do we have this need to wonder and then lead to suffering?
>>
The saddest part about this is that I feel like I've wasted most of my life.
>>
>>17197822
Aaand another existential crisis triggered, actually about to have a panic attack.
>>
"When nothing you do matters, the only thing that matters is what you do."
>>
>>17197854
me too
>>
>>17197854

Dude relax. Everything you do has been bounded by fate. Free will is a myth.

Every single thing you do, every bad thing that happens to you, every good thing....is intended to help you grow into the person you're destined to be.

Take a deep breath and tell yourself "I'm on the right path."
>>
>>17197702
Why do Russians exist in the US when clearly, they are not needed here?

Why is it that no one, not even bathroom positions are hiring?

Why is insurance not cheap?

Why is there a faggot sitting across my table and he is loudly playing his iPhone?

Why isn't it in my rights to clock him in the fucking face and stab him?

There is no answer.

These puzzles and more, tonight on 60 minutes.
>>
>>17197831
Well said, anon.
>>
>>17197702
Easy one!
Things in the Universe are just what they prefer being among what they are allowed to be. Just do the same.
About the meaning of life: the only reason your here is because your parents reproduce. If you like what you found in the world and one to play again, just reproduce!
>>
>>17197702
By accepting and being happy about it. Especially in times you get depressed, think how short and insignificant life is. Its over soon enough.
And enjoy your happy times even more. Your small insignificant but very free (as long as you don't hurt others) life.
>>
>>17197876
And don't forget, you're made of star dust <3
>>
>>17197861
Why do people think fate as a concept eases existential crises?

Also I'm freaking out now. I have mortality panics every few years since I was like 5; they range from a few hours to one that lasted two weeks and left me unable to sleep except from exhaustion.
>>
>>17197886

For some, it does. My last existential crisis was eased by reminding myself that while the things that happen to me are random and unpredictable, they help me grow into a person better able to deal with things in the future.

That said, if it doesn't work for you, have you tried speaking to anyone about it? Suffering in silence is never the right choice. Remember, every single person who ever lived will go through this at some point.
>>
>>17197886
Protip: You can ease/shorten panic and anxiety attacks through controlled breathing.

Slow, controlled breaths, with the exhale longer than the inhale. My personal favorite is inhale for 4-5 beats, hold for 2 beats, exhale for 6-7 beats.

Fast breaths and sharp inhales activate the fight or flight systems and compound on anxiety. Slow breaths and long exhales activate the "rest and digest" systems, which calm you down and help you relax.
>>
>>17197886
think about helping other people. We might not be significant on the universe's scale, but there are millions of people suffering

personally I think politics and art are the only worthwhile things in this world, and relationships with people; but try not to focus too much on yourself while enjoying these things
>>
All of the most interesting shit in the universe is happening on this planet. And even if it wasn't existing is fucking incredible. Think about what is happening right now, you are piloting a flesh body through space and time and using these vision squares that we made to communicate to other flesh bodies who are kind of like you but not really about being sad about being insignificant or some shit. I know people are used to it but its seriously insane when you think about it.

Let go of the idea that your going to be able to understand existence or existing. No one knows what the fuck is happening. Everyone pretends they do but where all just tourists here man.
>>
I'm going to go drink my fears of oblivion away again.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.