[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
General advice thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
Any one has the rest of this ?
Also general advice
>>
>>17195986

Any job is better than no job, suck up your pride
Bosses are leaders, not discussion partners
Stop drinking soda
Never begin smoking cigarettes
Don't smoke the herb everyday allday
Brush and floss, EVERYDAY
Dentist visit, EVERY YEAR
Rather endure a medical check-up than let easily cured diseases and illnesses turn your life into shit. Mole starts expanding, get it checked, your ass is itching, get it checked, got a little wart, get it checked.
Never buy a new car
Never buy a used scooter/moped
Bicycle as much as possible
More veggies, less cake
Clean once a week
Get a small trashcan for your living-room instead of throwing garbage on the floor or letting it pile up on your table.
Price will follow quality and vice versa 85% of the time.
Learn an instrument and how to sing. Anyone can sing except for the very very rare tonedeaf
Never try to sing lower than your natural lowest, you will ruin your voice and you will never sing lower than from the getgo. Singing higher notes over time is possible. Sing higher, expand your range.
Drink coffee- cheapest stimulant there is. Healthy as well, unless you add sugar.
>>
>>17196019
>Ride a bicycle as much as you can.

The other advice you gave can be questioned..... but that line os brillant!
>>
>>17195986
>she doesn't care about your video games
Damn, I could care less about a complete shift in my personality, but that's all I've ever wanted in a girl.
>>
>>17195986
Anyone have any tips on how to make friends at college? I thought I had made friends but I don't feel like I belong there whenever they're talking and shit
>>
>>17196019

Owning is cheaper than renting
Renting is MUCH safer than owning
Never mortgage for more than 2,5 times your annual gross income for apartments, and 1,5 times your annual gross income for houses
Have a savings account, use it
Try couchsurfing, vacationing just got a Hell of a lot cheaper
Only couchsurf at people with a history of positive recommendations, you might miss out on interesting people, but you will be safer and basically guaranteed a problem-free stay according to your agreement.
If your SO is neglectful towards pets, do not have children.
Never buy new furniture except for matresses, or fabric-covered couches and sofas. Leather can be easily cleaned and treated to look good, while you will never get the bedbugs out of a fabric-covered piece of furniture.
Use a laptop instead of a stationary, use a tablet instead of a laptop, to conserve electricity
Only flush number 2's and the last pee before going to bed, so conserve water, especially if you like me drink a lot and pee a lot.
Buy bulk and cook large meals, freeze them down and wave them for cheap and easy meals.
Houseplant keep the air cleaner and look good, get hardy plants that can tolerate neglect.
Never go to a party without bringing something to drink, never take your drink with you when you leave.
Harder drugs are great, but only do them once a month.
Never smoke crack, never touch heroin.
I repeat, NEVER TOUCH HEROIN
Don't take opioid painkillers either
Go to a European music festival at least once in your life, even if you hate sleeping in tents, even if you hate wading through a feet of mud, even if you hate being around people 24/7 for the duration, just do it once in your life.
If you have trouble getting up in the morning, GET THE FUCK TO BED WHEN YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO, even if you are not tired. Simply resting without sleeping for 2 hours before actually sleeping, will mean that you will have gotten 2 hours of rest, and the overthinking is a natural process for learning
>>
>>17196095
>Renting is MUCH safer than owning
What kind of safety do you mean?

>couchsurfing
You're implying someone I don't know. How do I find them? I'm a small girl. How do I make sure I don't get murderaped? Where are these reviews?
>>
i hate this YOU CAN DO ANYTHING nonsense. these threads would be better without that hyperbolic nonsense
>>
>>17196095

Keep your phone and wallet in your front pockets while on vacation, keep your hands over your front pockets while walking around
It's prejudiced, but always the browner people picking pockets
Never gamble the cups, you WILL get conned
Big purchases like computers, TVs and the like, you should go for quality rather than economics. A bigass TV is of no use if it fries after 2 years
If you are going to build your own computer, spend lavishly on the motherboard. All the other parts can be easily changed, and with a good motherboard you can have an up-to-date computer for +4 years by gradually upgrading.
Want girls to like your body, but you are a lazy piece of shit that can't train more than 5 minutes a day? Get a dumbell, do curls, also do pushups. Your arms are much more easy to see compared to your flabby stomach.
If you want to train seriously with weights, remember your legs. For the sake of Odin, remember your legs. Chicken-legs with beefy arms look ridiculous.
Keep spiders as pest control, you can tear down the old webs from time to time and look for eggsacks. Spiders are bros. Bros before Dengue.
For vacations, many airlines have increasingly insane offers. Be out in good time and use a booking site like Hotels or Booking or couchsurf. Even a low-wage earner can afford travelling with this (maybe not Americans flying to Europe, but you get my gist)
If you want to make a point, in a discussion, at work or at school, speak firmly and don't mumble, your voice is just as much a factor in argumentation as facts are.
Take notes in class. Every class. Every subject. Take notes.
Be consistent, have a seperate binder for every class, so you don't have to flap through 100 pages of notes from 5 subjects to find one thing. Much easier to have every subject seperated.
Don't skip classes. Treat school as a job. You don't skip jobs unless you want to get fired. Also, the most important stuff relating to exams ALWAYS happen when you are not there.
>>
>>17196113
>>17196113

Financially. When renting, you can always move to a cheaper place, when owning you can risk not being able to sell and cover your loan and then you are fucked.

Second question:

Couchsurfing.org

>>17196120

Then bring advice to this thread relating to how you cannot do anything.

Never study engineering if you suck at math.
NEVER
>>
>>17196158
>Never study engineering if you suck at math.
true that
a friend of mine who struggled with maths in HS got into uni to study computer engineering and from what i hear he struggles a lot even though he only has 4 classes and he even failed one last semester..
>>
>>17196180
is your friend me
>>
On a roll now

Never buy cheap tools, a good tool will last for a lifetime with regular home-use, a bad tool will break within 3-5 years
Trade work might include physical labour, but it is MUCH better paid than low-skill jobs like cleaning, serving and cooking that also take a toll on your body and your energy, you also have the option of being independent and eventually having other people working for you.
Forget about sexism, both sexes have drawbacks and benefits
Always get a resume letter from your work.
Never burn bridges when you change jobs or simply quit. Even if it was a shitty place.
Bosses care about results, only shitty bosses want their asses licked. Voicing your opinion about improving work is well-recieved by a good boss, complaining about work is never well-recieved.
Keep that phone in your pocket, it reeks of un-professionalism when you are facebooking in front of co-workers and bosses.
Know your worker's rights. Don't let yourself be abused or cheated just because you are afraid of loosing your job. There are lawyers making a living out of making life Hell for companies and bosses that abuse and cheat workers.
Unionize when possible
Make a habit of only using SFW sites at work. No, 4chan is not SFW even when on a blue board.
People with hundreds upon hundreds of Facebook friends are fake as fuck.
Never date a fatty out of pity
Do basic car maintnance yourself, it's cheaper and the oil-plug will never get shredded again. Just get good jackstands for dat safety.
Almost all girls wear bras that make their tits look bigger, don't be too dissapointed when you get into bed. Breasts also sag a lot, it's natural, only silicone and young tits stand erect.
Never disregard something because it's popular
Never disregard something because it's not popular
Be respectful to every person, even those who are much lower on the social ladder than you.
DO NOT TEXT AND DRIVE
NEVER
EVER
EVER
>>
>>17196230

If you struggle like that, give it up.

You will help yourself by changing to something you actually have aptitude for, instead of struggling with the math that forms the foundation for engineering.

If you want to mess with electronics, then become an electrician instead.
>>
File: 1296136553853.png (415 KB, 1279x1697) Image search: [Google]
1296136553853.png
415 KB, 1279x1697
>>
that is pure gold.
is there a female version, my sister would need this? i'd be curious.
>>
>>17196491

I have actually never seen an advice thread tailored to women

But many of the points are true whether you are male or female
>>
>>17196491
Females live in easy mode, why there would be advice for females?
>>
>>17196491
step 1. dont get fat
step 2. winner
>>
My general advice:
Don't follow advices. Build your own from scraps of advices.
>>
>>17195986
some of those are quite cringy
>>
>>17196491
lets make one, why is she in need of it? weak willed? slutty? whats the deal here?
>>
>>17196639

> Don't jump into the deep end of the pool if you cannot swim

"Nah, I don't follow advices"

Though you have a point, most advice is very dependant on circumstances and can be applied differently for different people in different situations.

Still, there are plenty of people who have gotten little or no advice from their parents and they will have to get it from these threads instead.
>>
>>17196739
Parents advice. "Quit school. Why study? Its wasting time and lazy. Got to work. Get a real job."

To this day i regret listening to my parents.
>>
If you're unhappy, identify why and change it. If you hate where you live, move. If you hate your job, get another one. If you hate the people around you, cut them out, move away, anything. This is simple, but not always easy. Don't be that 40 year old guy still pissing and griping about the same shit he's been griping about since 20, not having taken a single step to solve it.

Nothing worth doing is easy. (Not even a platitude.)

"I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life - and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do."

Most people in life do nothing. They drift aimlessly where the tide takes them and don't make their own decisions. 95% of people are like this and these are the boring, human garbage whose peak happiness is watching a funny sitcom on the idiot tube.

Don't trust anyone. Don't tell anyone anything you wouldn't want the entire world to know. Keep records, keep receipts, get it in writing. People will fuck you over to save themselves thirty seconds or ten cents.

The stuff you own owns you. 100% true. There is no greater freedom than being able to put everything necessary, loved, and important in a backpack and a duffel bag and hit the road at a moment's notice. If you have too much shit it can even limit where you can live, what you can do, whether you can take a longer vacation or even just spend the night out.

Stuff does not buy freedom nor ability nor security. Money does. Money solves every problem.

The most unsettling realization is that you CAN do anything, absolutely anything, you want, if only you had worked hard enough for it.

>>17196095
>Owning is cheaper than renting

Not always. Google a rent vs own calculator. Owning also has a LOT of additional costs you wouldn't think of. Opportunity cost from the principal, extra commute time/cost, interest cost, closing/agent costs, insurance cost, repair/maintenance costs, property tax, more furnishings and cleaning, extra labor required...
>>
>>17196113
>How do I make sure I don't get murderaped?

Also a small girl. One, carry a weapon. Tazers or guns are best. Mace is okay. Two, you have a little voice in the back of your head that tells you when something feels off. Listen to it. Trust it. If it feels rapey, get out of there. That said, don't be one of those cunting feminists who cries rape at everything. Personally I don't couchsurf, I use airbnb.

>>17196158

>housing

Owning is also more risky, if the market value changes, if the neighborhood goes to shit, etc. You may also not be able to sell quickly enough to take advantage of opportunities, like a great job offer in another city.

>>17196258
>cheap

Buy cheap, buy twice. For example, a guy I know loves flashlights. He has about 3 or 4 dozen. Thing is most of 'em don't work because he buys the cheapest ones he can find. Whereas, if he bought ONE good flashlight he'd be in a much better position and have saved money. Goes for anything, clothing to tech to personal care items.

>resume letter

Explain further.
>>
Confidence isn't just a meme, like I used to think.
>>
Applied for some jobs and finally got one. I have to sit behind the register in a store. I'm super scared of not being able to understand what people are saying because of accents. I have this problem and I just realized after I got accepted.

Can I prevent myself from freaking out when it happens and how do I deal with it?
>>
>>17197464
Where are you from?
>>
>>17196053

/n/ here

Ride, but don't ride a piece of shit if you can afford it. If the store sells anything other than bikes, cycling accessores and apparel, and disc golf discs look elsewhere.

>>17196095
>Never mortgage for more than 2,5 times your annual gross income for apartments, and 1,5 times your annual gross income for houses

2.5 times is a good rule, but not everyone makes bank in cheap housing markets. I would go up to 4 times gross income if you can avoid blowing cash elsewhere.

If you don't see yourself staying the same area for 7-10 years rent.

>Only flush number 2's and the last pee before going to bed, so conserve water, especially if you like me drink a lot and pee a lot.

I almost fought a hick over this at a bar. His friends and the bartender chewed him out for that. You need to clean more often and it does smell.

>>17196154
>Keep spiders as pest control, you can tear down the old webs from time to time and look for eggsacks. Spiders are bros. Bros before Dengue.

Don't kill your centipede bros. They don't make webs. The more numerous and bigger the centipedes the bigger a bug problem you have.

>>17196258
>Never buy cheap tools, a good tool will last for a lifetime with regular home-use, a bad tool will break within 3-5 years

For 1 off or limited uses harbor freight is fine.

>>17196258
>Be respectful to every person, even those who are much lower on the social ladder than you.

I will always recommend public schools no matter how shitty and shitty jobs for kids. You can't be scared of minorities when they number 1 in 4 in the US. You need to know how to relate to people on the lower rungs of society.
>>
>>17197467
Denmark. Most scared of the "farmer" accent that my grandpa has.
>>
>>17197329
>>resume letter
>Explain further.
Probably means a letter of recommendation
>>
How do you write a resume when you have no job experience and just graduated? Not sure what to write other than when I went to elementary school, high school and languages etc.
>>
>>17197494
Any volunteer work? Extra curricular activities? Projects you've worked on?

At this point you're going to get something entry-level so you won't need much.
>>
>>17197504
I once worked 1 week at a bakery while in school, I guess that can be on it. I figured it didn't need to have much on it, but giving out a bland resume just seems wrong even when I just graduated.
>>
>>17197472

4 times gross annual income would be pretty insane - if you loose your job and have to drop 20-40% in salary you would be fucked and forced to live off rats.

And selling again might not bring in the money to cover the loan in a bad market
>>
I would have gone to the introvert advice thread i remembered seeing on here one time but I guess it wasnt up. Sorry in advance for the blog post.
So I used to have a pretty tough time with depression and anxiety, but I suppose its gotten a bit better. But my anxiety still gives me trouble all of the time. Thinking about college, driving, social activities, anything really almost makes me want to vomit. I'm also a huge weeb and I'm so self conscious about that whenever I try to think about dating or just making friends. I get that the solution would just be to not care what other people think and work on dealing with my anxiety, but good god is it hard. What would your advice be for a weeb introvert trying to make their way out into the world?
>>
>>17195986
>If you are wearing a polo/button up shirt, DO wear an undershirt. That awkward 16 year old nerd kid look is not good.
How does not wearing an undershirt make you look like a 16 year old nerd kid? Can anyone please explain.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.