[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How strange is it to have an online friend of the opposite sex
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_nrtoulIxEb1u8rtwro4_1280.jpg (139 KB, 880x858) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nrtoulIxEb1u8rtwro4_1280.jpg
139 KB, 880x858
How strange is it to have an online friend of the opposite sex and not to be in an LDR? From what I've heard, this is not very common (i.e. either online friends of the same sex or two people in an LDR)
>>
Less strange than having a LDR.
>>
>>17195567
didn't you post this thread before? someone did, word for word practically. I'll say what I said in that thread: I never found it strange to have online friends of both sexes. in fact I always found it to be a more laid-back way to have friends. a lot less sexual tension.

is someone telling you you're weird for having an opposite-sex online friend? tell them to mind their own business. is it just your own personal worry that it's too weird or something? stop worrying about it.
>>
>>17195567
How does it feel to be this insecure about social connections? Is this your way of saying that you wish she was interested?
>>
>>17195580
>is someone telling you you're weird for having an opposite-sex online friend?
Yes. And some people said I shouldn't meet him irl as he probably wants sex.
>>
>>17195596
having online friends and meeting them IRL are two different issues.

are you planning to meet IRL? how long have you known each other online? have you skyped or anything? how far away is he? has he said anything about being sexually interested in you? if it turned out he was interested, would you be interested in reciprocating?

I ask because I can't tell from your posts whether other people are just being busybodies, or if you're being naive and the people telling you not to meet him IRL are looking out for your safety in case he's a serial killer or something.

as for the person thinking you're weird, they should probably mind their own business or at least be more tactful. the other people saying you shouldn't meet him IRL are probably just concerned for you, and you should consider hearing them out unless they're known for being histrionic about everything.
>>
>>17195623
>are you planning to meet IRL?
Yes
>how long have you known each other online?
2.5 years
>have you skyped or anything?
Yes
>how far away is he
He lives in another country but coincidentally I will fly there soon
>has he said anything about being sexually interested in you?
No
>if it turned out he was interested, would you be interested in reciprocating?
No, not interested in ldrs
>>
>>17195596
>>17195735
Your friends are naive as shit. My first girlfriend flew to my state after I had known her for 6 months. Online friendships are as meaningful as offline ones these days. Unfortunately, some idiots don't know that. Teacher in highschool asked what we we did over the summer and pushed me into lying that the girl staying at my house was someone who had moved away and was visiting family as soon as I realized everyone either thought I was an autist or going to get murdered (still not sure actually).
>>
>>17195746
Haha a ldr i see
>>
>>17195775
Did not date until third visit.
>>
Not OP, but how strange is it if a guy and girl are in a brother-sister like relationship if they are online friends, have met before, and live in different countries?
>>
>>17195567
>How strange is it to have an online friend of the opposite sex and not to be in an LDR?
Not particularly. I've had plenty. Then again, I was also in an LDR for most of that time, just not with them.

Also, please stop serial-reposting this.
>>
>>17195735
>No, not interested in ldrs
Are you interested in him, though? If he was closer, would you make a move? That might make things awkward if you are attracted to him, when you actually meet in person.

But I'll comfort you in that I am a girl who has has several online male friends. I'm actually visiting a male online friend next weekend. It's fine. It helps that I've been explicit about nothing ever happening.

For the average person, their association with meeting people online is through online dating. There are also plenty of people who don't believe opposite relationships are possible.

Have you two had any conversations about romance, about how you're not interested? You'll be fine even if you haven't.

One thing I would suggest, is that you should be cautious. Just meet him in a public place once or twice before going back with him somewhere private. Even if it's in the same day. Meet him at a cafe, go back to your own place, and absorb what you thought.

People can be very different in real life. Just feel it out if anything feels off. Give yourself time away from him so that you can make a decision without being pressured on the spot.
>>
>>17196069
>If he was closer, would you make a move?
I'm not attracted to him. Our relationship is more brotherly/sisterly. (Is that even possible?)
>Have you two had any conversations about romance, about how you're not interested?
Well, we haven't explicitly said we don't have feelings for each other (kind of an odd topic to chat about) but he said he doesn't have any feelings for any girl at this moment. I know about his past crushes and he knows about mines too.
>Just meet him in a public place once or twice before going back with him somewhere private
Whoa I won't meet him in a private place! That is too risky for me. Plus he doesn't even live near the tourist attractions. Is it ok if he shows me around the tourist attractions in his region (eg. castles, old markets)?
>>
>>17196086
>Is it ok if he shows me around the tourist attractions in his region (eg. castles, old markets)
That's fantastic! Great excuse to spend time in public. You'll be out there long enough that wanting to go back to your own place afterwards alone is totally normal.
I'm glad to hear you recognize the risk of meeting him privately. I'm assuming that also means that you have your own place to stay? Good.

Brother/Sister relationships are possible, definitely.
>>
>>17196096
Well he was the one who volunteered to show us around. He may bring his brother around as his brother knows more about the history of his country.
Well it is kind of weird to meet a guy you're not in a relationship with at his house. His house is also far away from the other attractions and ain't nobody got time for that.
We will stay at hostels.
Ah ok. Most people say guys and girls can't just be friends (unless they befriended each other when they were kids).
>>
Is it weird that I've masturbated online with a guy, but we're just online friends and neither of us care to have a relationship with the other?
>>
I have had two male friends online for almost 7 years now. I have had occasional sykpe sex with one of them, and the other one I've never been sexual with at all. They're not 'orbiters' by any means, both are respectable adults and cherished friends.

It is easier to have a platonic relationship with the opposite sex if you're thousands of miles apart. Of course it depends on the people involved, but I'd say this kind of relationship is entirely possible & realistic.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.