[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A girl that I befriended (read: friend zoned, but I'm cool
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
A girl that I befriended (read: friend zoned, but I'm cool with it) is nagging me that I dress too shabby. Should I change my appearance or does that imply weakness? She is right though about me looking like shit.
>>
If you know you look like shit and you care what other people think, stop looking like shit. Easy as that. Don't let someone who isn't significant to you change how you act. Change it yourself, and for your own reasons. Just so happens in this case her opinion falls in line with what seems to be fact. Tl;Dr invest in some nice clothes, your not in high school anymore anon.
>>
>>17195382
Why dress like shit? You don't have to dress how she thinks you should but you should put some effort into your appearance dude.
>>
>>17195382
She's literally offering her help and advice to make you no longer single. It's possibly the nicest thing a girl who has a lonely desperate guy hanging on to her could do. Don't be an asshole, dipshit, just follow her advice. You said it yourself, you're not looking to impress her. Why do you care if you appear weak in her eyes?
>>
tell her to go fuck herself, if she wants to tell you what to wear she has to sit on your dick
>>
shes negging you
>>
I used to (and still do) wear sweatpants and boxers most of the time. I'm a female. I don't wear makeup, and I love baggy tee shirts. I also like to dress up and wear leggings/cute outfits sometimes, like when at a restaurant or going out.

My (now ex) bf of three weeks said that he didn't like that I dress like that and asked me to wear different clothing. So I dumped him. I would never dream of telling a partner to wear different clothes; not in the nasty tone that he did to me. Maybe a gentle hint is okay, but to say it in a judgemental way is not ok; it's controlling and rude.

WHOOPS I thought this was your girlfriend. Take her advice. Take it, and upgrade your shit. While it's your choice, and you're totally entitled to dress as you please, it's a sad fact of society that people who dress nice are treated better and respected more. If you want to be respected, get promotions, be hired, be offered opportunities, trusted, liked, and well regarded in general, you NEED to dress like an adult. Clothing choice influences our perception of people so strongly; whether we mean to allow it to or not. Appearances are very important. It would be lovely if you could gaze into the soul and measure a person's being in that way; but that's not how things work in this physical plane.
>>
>>17195883
>you NEED to dress like an adult
>I used to (and still do) wear sweatpants and boxers most of the time.

hypocritical cunt
>>
>>17195883
Your hypocritical stupidity angers me. Into the trash with you.
>>
Go commando
>>
File: 1464471745081.jpg (29 KB, 486x309) Image search: [Google]
1464471745081.jpg
29 KB, 486x309
>>17195883
>you NEED to dress like an adult
>>
File: BTFU3.jpg (43 KB, 500x633) Image search: [Google]
BTFU3.jpg
43 KB, 500x633
>>17195883
>>
>>17195927
>>17195905
>>17195892
If you honestly think that people don't judge you based on what you wear, you're ignorant of one of the most common themes in society today; that we are judged by our appearance. Whether it be skin color, face shape, or clothing, as humans we make assumptions about people based on their looks. It's usually subconscious, and unintentional. It may be hard or sad to think that people are like this; but they are. I know from personal experience that well dressed & attractive people are given preferential treatment. It's not "hypocritical" to be pragmatic.

Also, it doesn't make a convincing argument to take a quote out of context. Try basing your assertions on solid ground. I said that *IF* you would *LIKE* to be respected and treated better in general, then you *NEED* to dress better, because it's a *FACT* that people judge others based on their appearance.
>>
>>17195382
Bitch friendzoned you. Bitchslap her and tell her to fuck off
>>
She is trying to help you.
A lot of the first impression you give to people is based on your appearance.
It is important to be in shape, keep your hair and your beard cut, have a good dental hygiene and smell nicely. It is also important to dress clothes that fit you well and are "stylish" and in good conditions.
It makes you look more respectable, confident and trustworthy.
You don't need to dress or look like a Ralph Lauren model to impress people, but it surely helps a lot to be dressed nicely.
Even a t-shirt and a pair of jeans, if they fit you well, can make you look nice.
>>
File: 1459872617984.jpg (51 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
1459872617984.jpg
51 KB, 514x536
>>17195883
>>
File: 142872511533.jpg (95 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
142872511533.jpg
95 KB, 1280x800
>>17195883
I hope you just mean around the house, rather than in public.
>>
>>17195960
>>Hypocritical
>If you honestly think that people don't judge you based on what you wear,
You also have reading comprehension issues. I agreed with the half of your post that wasn't idiotic. If you tried to paint the situation as controlling, you failed miserably.
>>
>>17196026
Yeah, usually around the house. Occasionally while running errands on the weekend.

I would absolutely LOVE to dress like a wigger/bum/teenager every single day. But unfortunately the baggy shirt and sweats look is seen as just that- something that teens, wiggers, and bums wear. I realize that if I run into an employer or professor in town, or if I meet a cute guy, they will perceive me differently than if I were dressed like a professional/in business casual. Because I am looking to get into research positions, advance my career, and become an MD in the future, I need to uphold a professional appearance when I go out. Not sure why these other posters don't understand that. It's well known that dressing like an adult begets being treated like an adult.
>>
>>17195382
girls for the most part put more thought into what they dress. I'd listen to her unless she dresses like shit. Once you start to take pride in what you wear and create a style for yourself you don't feel right going out in terrible clothes.
>>
>>17195883
It's not a sad fact of society that adults are treated like adults when they dress like adults.
>>
Just dress the way you feel more comfortable.
>>
>>17195960
Are you too stupid to know what hypocrisy is?
>>
File: tumblr_nejhgjM7IS1r3dv20o1_400.jpg (88 KB, 392x397) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nejhgjM7IS1r3dv20o1_400.jpg
88 KB, 392x397
It's not a sign of weakness to take good advice.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.