[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HELP ANON DECLARE MAJOR
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1463281594876 (copy).jpg (447 KB, 1923x1206) Image search: [Google]
1463281594876 (copy).jpg
447 KB, 1923x1206
Hey guys, I come to you today with x options. I know I'm going to double major so don't even tell me not to. I've been thinking about this long and hard, and I'm really close to coming to a hard conclusion, just want to bounce some shit off weirdos on 4chan first (jk senpai).

>Math and Physics
Likely would minor in philosphy, economics or computer science. I want a computer science type job, but want a broader education than just CS.. I think math and physics are most interesting, and I've heard many times over that a CS degree isn't necessary to land a CS job. But at the same time, I feel it may be risky taking this path, as someone with a direct CS degree would seem better qualified.

>Math and Computer Science
This would be nice because it would practically guarantee me a comfy job after graduation, assuming my portfolio and resume looks pretty nice as well (solid projects, internships, etc).

Thanks anons.
>>
Some reasons to avoid CS:

> market is over-saturated
> out-sourcing
> tough job, a lot of people (seem) to be dissatisfied with it

Could still be worth it though if you really like computers. More advice is needed, my words aren't nearly good enough on their own.
>>
Major in sucking dick
>>
>>17190697
Thanks for the response.

>market oversaturate
I know there's a lot of CS majors, but I think a lot of them are retards who got into the field because they "like video games", and things like that.

>outsourcing
when pajeet codes, it breaks. People have been claiming outsourcing will happen for years now but they still keep going back to college educated coders.

Just what I hear, I used to have the same feelings.

And it's not like there's actually jobs in math/physics anyway, all of STEM is fucked. Every major is fucked.
>>
Literature and philosophy.

That's what I'd do, if money wasn't an issue.
>>
>>17190787
would definitely do some lit studies if people would pay me for that knowledge / skill set.

math is sexy though, and physics is interesting. Comp sci is aight, cool cuz as someone skilled comp sci you can work for almost any type of industry (make code for chemist as an example, or just do comfy web development)

My problem with CS though is that a degree is overshadowed by a dank portfolio.
>>
> but I think a lot of them are retards who got into the field because they "like video games", and things like that

True, still wouldn't underestimate the shitiness of an over-saturated market though. It's usually synonymous with a lot of networking, which can lead to some unfair forms of favoritism (although the technical demands of a CS job may help limit this).

Apparently in terms of job prospects Chemical Engineering is one of the best STEM choices, but I haven't looked into it in over a year or so. That and a lot of fields that have to do with natural resources and energy.
>>
>>17190723
Right? Major in sucking farts out my ass.

But on a serious note. I would say math + CS.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.