[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 26, no work experience, no degree. How do I start rebuilding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 5ovZGkx.jpg (55 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
5ovZGkx.jpg
55 KB, 1024x1024
I'm 26, no work experience, no degree. How do I start rebuilding my life?

Obviously I'm only qualified to work min wage retail jobs, so should I start there? Although I feel like once I start working min wage, I'll be there forever. I don't think real employers give a shit about how fast I can flip a burger.
>>
>>17186068
Learn to code
>>
>>17186073
So he can waste his time? No one's going to hire someone who claims they can code over someone who has a qualification that says they can code.

OP, if you have no work experience, you need to apply for anything and everything, including wage slave work
>>
>>17186077
I hear you. I guess I'm just worried that even at 40+ hours a week working as a wageslave, I'd never be able to leave my parents' basement.

I will apply for any demeaning position I can, but I dunno how I'm going to eventually pad out my resume to make myself seem hireable.
>>
>>17186089
You're better off with a shit job than no job. You're not in a position to be picky about what you take.

If you've got big long term goals like moving out, then you've got to do it in small steps, not in one big leap. There's no point in moving out if you're living on instant ramen and nothing else. I say take on something like burgerflipping or bagging groceries for now, build up some work experience, look for another job while you do this (perhaps volunteer somewhere for more work experience) and then move out. This isn't going to be something you can do in a few months or even a year, you've got to have a realistic timeline
>>
>>17186099
I guess you're right. It feels so pathetic to be living at home right now and the cost of living in this area is so absolutely. It's hard not to feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle with no end in sight, especially when every day of friendless loserdom becomes more oppressive than the last.
>>
>>17186111
*so absolutely insane.
>>
>>17186111
Well you've chosen to try and change things, so you've taken the hardest step - getting over it mentally. I suggest sitting down and seriously making a list of things you want to do, and making game plans of how you're going to do it. Include a (realistic) time frame too. It's not too late to change your life around, don't be dismayed.
>>
>>17186122
My current plan is to save up around 10k, and use that as a foundation when I move into my own place and begin the search for a better job.

Making 12k/year, I dunno how long it would take me to save up that much. It seems like a very long time. I guess I should be grateful I have my parents to support me in the meantime.
>>
>>17186136
There's no reason you couldn't find a new job before you move out. I actually think that'd be a better way to do it, since in your own place you'd have a lot more work to do. And if you're living at home and have next to no expenses, then it shouldn't be TOO hard saving up your 10k goal (I think you could get away with having a smaller amount saved up to be honest)
>>
>>17186141
I suppose that's true. One thing that worries me is that I have a lot of family friends who are willing to lie about being former employers, but even with that help, I'm still not getting any calls. Maybe employers can smell the bullshit?

If things really are that competitive, though, I worry about never escaping min wage.
>>
>>17186152
Yes, they can often smell the bullshit. Having one good genuine reference is going to do a whole lot more for you than a bunch of fake ones. Are you not getting calls even for wage slave jobs?
>>
>>17186068
Learn the shit out of access, excel, word, Ms off in general and quickbooks for business. Just because you don't have many qualifications doesn't mean your can't develop and hone a particular skillset
>>
>>17186237
I've applied to Costo, ALDI, Trader Joe's, and Wegmans with no call back... Though, their benefits/min wage is pretty good, so maybe I'm aiming too high. Starbucks is next on my list. Sorry for disappearing!
>>
>>17186382
Try fastfood places? Perhaps you could get a cleaning job somewhere too, or sign up to a temp agency?
>>
>>17186388
Yeah, thinking of hitting up a temp agency if Starbucks falls through. If I could get some boring receptionist job, I'd be living the dream... but I think that's probably too much to hope for right now. Walmart would probably take me, too.
>>
>>17186407
You'll get there, don't worry. In the meantime, you could start volunteering somewhere? It'll help you get into the routine of doing stuff.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.