[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where I am right now in my life relationships are the slice of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1463983592586.jpg (91 KB, 772x600) Image search: [Google]
1463983592586.jpg
91 KB, 772x600
Where I am right now in my life relationships are the slice of cake when you're watching your weight. I really want it, but I know I shouldn't.

The battle between my desires and my self-control causes more stress than I'd are to admit. Now I'm looking to change my mindset on relationships.

What's are some good ways to stop desiring a relationship?
>>
I tried asking but /adv/ didn't help
>>
>>17182959
>What's are some good ways to stop desiring a relationship?

What's the best way to stop feeling hungry? Well... eat something.

As long as you're a normal-functioning human being you're going to crave social interaction.

And when you say «relationships», do you mean romantic ones or simple human interactions?

Either way, why would you want to stop desiring it?
>>
>>17183119
Romantic relationships. I can't justify having a romantic relationship, but I still want to have one. I want to stop being desirous of romance to avoid the stress that comes with wanting something you're actively preventing yourself from pursuing.
>>
>>17183200
And, why would you want to prevent yourself from pursuing it? Something bad happen?

The whole 'trying to figure out if the other person is interested' and the flirting game is pretty fun. I'd say, use it to your own advantage.

Knowing that someone is interested/attracted to you can be a massive ego booster, even if you have end up not doing anything.
>>
>>17183227
I originally went on hiatus after a breakup while my dad was going through cancer screening, I wasn't very attentive to my girlfriend during that time. His mental and physical health deteriorated and I became his caregiver, so that's even less time to dedicate to a woman than before.
I'm also a full time student at the moment so money is tight, and I don't have many positive relationship qualities to begin with. I just can't really justify romance at the moment. But I still want it, hence the stress.
>>
>>17183306
I'm very sorry to hear about your dad.

I don't think you can do much against your need for romance.

Usually when things are going down in my life, it's when I crave 'affection' the most. Romance/Affection is more than just sex or emotional investment. It's also a way to vent your troubles and feel like you're not alone.

I see more reasons for you to find someone than not to. I'm not going to tell you that "women are not puppies that need constant care and maintenance, they're people too" and all that crap but, fact is, it takes a lot of time and dedication to have a gf but I think it's worth it, especially in situations like yours.

Although, there's no reason for you to obsess over it. If you find someone, good. If you don't, it's fine too. Just let things happen.
>>
>>17183366
Thank you.

I think I'd agree with you on more of those points if it were a relationship that preceded my current situation. Initiating one now and expecting that sympathetic ear and emotional support feels selfish to me. Particularly since I wouldn't be able to offer as much as I used to be able to in a relationship.

But, yes, I'll try not to obsess over it.
>>
Buddhist philosophy focuses a lot on letting go of desires, right? Maybe looking at what they say about letting go of desire might help?
>>
I'll be around for the next few hours if anyone else has any insights.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.