[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I lent my dad some extra money a couple of months ago because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: enhanced-21075-1429699713-2.jpg (30 KB, 625x336) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-21075-1429699713-2.jpg
30 KB, 625x336
I lent my dad some extra money a couple of months ago because we got behind on our electricity bill and it got shut off.

I don't make much money, I only had about 400 in my savings and it cost 340 for me to turn the electricity in our house back on.

My dad said he'd pay me back, and I said he could either pay me back or take it off my portion rent for a month. He said okay and I never asked much of it again.

This month a bunch of financial stuff hit me (car registration, summer classes, etc.) and I mentioned to dad if he could pay me back this month.

I get paid today, and told dad last night that he can pay me back or just take it off this months rent. To which he said, "Didn't I pay you back already?" I said no and I avoided asking him because I didn't want to hound him for money at all.

But he still thinks that he paid me back already... What should I do? I want to pull up my bank statements to show him that I paid rent and didn't receive any money from him, but that feels strange.

I really need the money and I swear on my life that he didn't pay me back anything. Now I don't know what to do or say that will convince him I'm not lying? Am I out 340 bucks now?

Money is really not an issue with my dad, so it's not like he cannot afford this (with the electricity bill it was honestly just a tough month because my dad had bought a new car that month and everything was a little off), I just don't want him to think that I am lying...
>>
Get proof, sit him down and say you want a civil discussion and not drive a rift between the two of you, but your finances are serious.

Then be polite but firm in explaining the situation.
>>
>>17181558
I always pay him in cash for rent, so I guess the best way to show him is to show my bank statements where I have withdrawn rent money each month, right?

He said he thought he took it off my rent a couple months ago...
>>
>>17181561
Yes, do that and do what >>17181558
said.

Also, time to start looking for a new place to stay. If you're paying rent to your parents, aka you have roommates, you can pay that money to someone else and still have roommates. You're old enough to be on your own. You'll enjoy it a lot more than staying at home.
>>
>>17181569
I've been paying a small amount of rent to my parents since I was 17. It is their way of saying "show me you are responsible."

On top of that, I only make about 700 dollars per month because I work part time and go to school. My dad only charges me 300 per month.

There is literally no where in southern california that will charge only 300 per month for a room and utilities.

Until I finish school, this is the best option.
>>
>>17181548
>"Didn't I pay you back already?"

>He said he thought

This is the sort of shit passive bitches say when they are lying, but are too big of a pussy to lie to you outright.

They won't say "Fuck off, I paid you that money already" which is what they absolutely would say if they paid you and remembered it. They hedge, and say "I thought I paid you that, didn't I?"

The reason your dad is using language of uncertainty is because he fucking well knows he didn't pay you back. This is kid-level communication shit he's throwing at you.
>>
>>17181596
But he did not pay me back...

I looked over my bank statements...
>>
>>17181596
Oh, sorry, I misread your statement. I thought you thought I was lying. My bad.

So, what do, why would dad lie to me like that...
>>
>>17181548
Your father obviously isn't financially responsible
>fell behind on bill
And now he's trying to worm his way out of paying you back.
You fucked up by giving him money. You just got ganked, kid.
>>
>>17181596
THIS

>>17181600
>why would he lie to me like that
because he doesn't want to pay you back my dude....
>>
>>17181548
Sit your dad down and tell him you need to the money. If he doesn't pay up then subtract it from what you normally pay for rent.

Don't be passive aggressive about it like he is. Tell him you didn't get the money so this what you're doing. Be clear and firm.
>>
>>17181548
If is my case i will be blunt.
I am sure it will be a discussion, but i am sure i will have my money which I NEED back
>>
>>17181548
just saying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TruXhuAO4IY
>>
>>17181600
>why would dad lie to me like that...
Another anon, but I also came to the same conclusion. Because >>17181832 is right.
>Your father obviously isn't financially responsible

People who are shit with money can do shady things in the name of money. Your dad can be a great person here, or love you a lot, but still be completely untrustworthy with money. Who makes a 17 year old pay rent to "prove they [the 17 year old] are financially responsible"? People don't do that. He didn't need you to prove anything, he needed more money for himself. Because he's financially irresponsible, and those people do a lot of shitty things in the name of money. He's still your dad, he still loves you, but he's human, and you can't trust him with money anymore. And don't emulate his money issues, either. Purchasing a new car does not result in your light bill being shut off in less than a month. Either he's had issues before, or the issue was ongoing, and you should realize your he is bad with money and wants to mooch off of you on top of it.

I would take it off the rent. Least confrontational way to do it. I wouldn't show him the back up documents unless he goes from passive aggressive to aggressive. And I would do it as soon as possible. You loan any more money to him? Only do so with the expectation of never getting it back. Get it in writing. And if you can, just never do it again. He's fucking over his own son, because money makes you do fucked up things. I've seen it so many times. So you're going to have to learn you can't combine money with your dad anymore. It's not going to end well.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.