[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Girlfriend just doesn't make me laugh? It bothers her?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: g.jpg (64 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
g.jpg
64 KB, 500x333
Long story short, I've got a dark sense of humor. That's typically the only stuff that makes me audibly laugh. My girlfriend however has a more adult humor, but it isn't offensive like mine. I keep on her level of humor so I don't offend her (She doesn't care if my humor is offensive, as long as it doesn't offend her, so I watch what I say) and I make her laugh.

The thing is though, she doesn't make me laugh. She says things that are clever, and I react and smirk/smile make a comment about it, but she's never made me genuinely hunch over and almost cry from laughter. This bothers her. I've asked her why it bothers her (I've told her it shouldn't and not to worry." and she says she doesn't know why, but me making her laugh, and her not being able to make me laugh makes her feel like she's not as great as she could be, because of reason just stated.

I've told her I love her and that I love everything about her humor, but she says "If you loved my humor it would make you laugh, wouldn't it?

We've already had the talk a few times, so I can't just pity laugh, or she'd know what I'm doing. What the fuck am I supposed to do? It doesn't bother her all the time unless if she says something she thinks is really funny, and the most I do is smile or do that thing where you grin and exhale out of your nose.

Help guys? I honestly don't know why this bothers her, but I just want her to stop feeling bad about it.
>>
>>17180586
Have a tickle fight maybe? Seriously, try it.
>>
Just tell her that peoples sense of humor are different and that she really shouldn't worry about it.
It's the same as having different favorite bands, films etc.

Her making you laugh isn't even what she is supposed to do as a girlfriend. A lot of men, me included, typically fake laugh at a girlfriends jokes because we like them and don't want to offend them.

It doesn't mean a thing.
>>
>>17180586

tell her you find her funny but you're indulgent and kind of a narcissist when it comes to humor so you don't always laugh at other people's jokes. you know it's a flaw, but you don't want her to stop cracking jokes because you really do enjoy them.

it's a reassurance-self-deprecation-reassurance sandwich. works on girls everytime.
>>
>>17180717
Explain this witchcraft in depth. I think you might be able to save my marriage.
>>
>>17180797

Well you have to present it to her as a flaw with you and not her so she can get past this. Being vulnerable about it makes her use her natural female empathy and slathering on the reassurance helps her insecurity. Basically you're exposing yourself and empowering her.

Being indulgent about your own humor involves always trying to respin another person's joke to make it funnier to yourself (internally/externally) and it means it takes a lot to throw you off guard.

she sounds very wry which like, isn't laugh out loud funny anyways. maybe the tickle fight is a good idea. would open her up to different types of humor.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.