[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just got out of a relationship of 7 years. Ask me anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: windows7rc_bloglogo.jpg (78 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
windows7rc_bloglogo.jpg
78 KB, 1024x768
I just got out of a relationship of 7 years.

Ask me anything
>>
>>17179639
why do you think you're important enough to make this stupid thread?

don't answer, it's a rhetorical question.
>>
>>17179639
How did you actually break it off? I'm in a similar situation, I think.
>>
>>17179641
I don't think I'm particularly important. If you think the thread is stupid, please feel free to ignore it.
The real question is: why did you feel the need to comment on it?
>>
>>17179639
How do you feel now?
How do you think you will feel in 2+ months?

Do you consider that ending that relationship was the correct thing?
>>
>>17179652
People, here are sometimes this random rude, they feel like Alpha Gods or something.
Just ignore them, nobody actually listens to them.
>>
>>17179651
We just talked about it a couple of times, and eventually agreed it would be for the best.

Just communicate. If there's something that's not working for both of you, chances are your partner feels the same way.

If there's something that's not working out for YOU, the answer is pretty much the same - just don't break up without giving them a fair chance
>>
>>17179664
We've talked about it sort of and they do not feel the same way at all. They don't see any problems with our relationship and don't want me to leave them. I don't know. What was it that made you guys realize that it just wasn't working anymore?
>>
>>17179656
>How do you feel now?
Everything feels meaningless. Mostly in denial. I still expect her to be there. She's cut communications, and I'm quite hurt by that, even though I reckon it's a good idea for the time being

>How do you think you will feel in 2+ months?
Probably regretting the decision and desperately seeking out new things to do
>>
>>17179682
We were sort of there some years ago. I grew more and more resentful, and it just hurt every other aspect of the relationship, to the point that we were just making each other angry or sad most of the days.

You need to make your partner understand that YOU having a problem with the relationship means you both do. If you've been together for several years you're obliged to do your very best to fix the problem, but it can't work if one side doesn't acknowledge it.

What specific problem are you having?
>>
>>17179687
Well, I am my girlfriend's second boyfriend, she had a 3+ year long relationship and things weren't working for both of them, they did end but were coming back in short time lapses, all because she felt noone would be able to love her and that she couldn't love someone else.

But then, I met her, and we are both really happy right now, gotta admit, it was hard at the beginning, she couldn't get over her ex that easly, but with time we could turn our relationship in something unique.

I'm just saying, I know it's hard, but if someone tries to give you her/his heart, you should really open a spot for it. You will realize you can be happy again.
>>
>>17179710
I know what you're saying. When you're in such a long relationship, you develop around the person you're with. Your habits change, your hobbies change. Your perception of yourself is very much tied down to how your partner perceives you. You expect to be understood without really needing to explain yourself.

All of this is incredibly unfair when you try to be with someone else.

I don't think I'll be looking for another relationship any time soon, but I'll definitely keep what you said in mind
>>
>>17179709
Just tons of small things. I think the problem is mainly me, honestly. We've been together 8 years now and I just feel like we've become completely different people or I have anyway. I've told them everything that bothers me and all that, but I think we might just be dragging it out and I'm just making them miserable at this point. I have also started feeling resentful towards them like you mentioned. It's just scary to think about actually not being with them after all of this time. Sorry for the novel.
>>
>Ask me anything

What a strange way for asking for advice
>>
>>17179732
>I just feel like we've become completely different people
I feel this way as well. 8 years is a long time. People change. Shit happens. People change further.

>we might just be dragging it out and I'm just making them miserable at this point
If your partner told you that they don't have a problem and don't want to end it, you should respect that. Not saying you aren't making them miserable - maybe you are, but please don't make that decision for them.

>I have also started feeling resentful towards them like you mentioned
It's a slow acting poison. Have you told them?
>It's just scary to think about actually not being with them after all of this time
Yeah, I've been feeling cornered for the past weeks, before we actually did it. It's a big unknown.
>>
>>17179745
>What a strange way for asking for advice
I guess. I've already made the decision and acted on it. I don't really have any advice to ask at this point, and I've read a million threads on minimizing breakup pain before

Maybe I can offer advice, though. Or maybe I just needed to talk to someone. I don't really know at this point
>>
Bumping this, because no reason
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.