[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking of Joining the Military
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (179 KB, 1200x807) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
179 KB, 1200x807
So I graduate high school in a few weeks and the only thing I have planned after is a summer job and some gigs as a photographer that are paying alright money, but nothing long term. Thoughts?
>>
Don't join the army. Why not just go with the gig and photography and take a year or two to work and find something you're interested in enough to study?
>>
If you really want to join you could be a combat journalist I guess.

GI Bill is good, but if that's the only reason you want to do it I wouldn't
>>
>>17179300
you do realize the amount of cases of PTSD after joining the military and going to war right? it's not COD and the people who seem to come back perfectly fine are often sociopaths themselves.
>>
>>17179541
God I hate this
>joining the military will give you PTSD
unless if you sign up to shoot people, you will probably see jack shit, and even if you sign up to kill you're probably not gonna get it.

You have more of a chance of getting it when you're in, but it's not that ridiculously high.
>>
>>17179309
My parents (who I'm still dependant on) are not supportive of me being a freelancer, and told me if I don't have a job by September or go to school, they're kicking me out. I have no legal work experience as I spent most of my teen and preteen years working in delis and pizzerias off the books, so employers probably won't wanna hire someone who is 18, has no legal experience and only a high school diploma to my name.
>>
>>17179541
OP here. The idea of taking the life from another person has never really bothered me desu, and from research, the branch that interests me the most is the Navy, as they openly state that they do have positions for photographers. Plus, they're the least likely to go into combat.
>>
The military isn't a bad option I would say, because it does have a lot of perks if you know what you are signing up for and can stick with it for a few years.

However, unless you know for sure you aren't going to get deployed, there is a chance of battle which you should be considering before doing anything.

Just weigh the pros and cons and really think about what you want and what you can handle man.
>>
I'm going through recruitment now.
My dad was an enlisted man but I'm going to be an officer based on my uni degree.

What he told me was that the military life is pretty shitty in many ways. You'll have to deal with retarded superiors. People will take credit for you. A lot of the time, you'll work your ass off and then be told that you're useless.
That's what he told me when he was still in there.
Now he's retired and he's all for my joining.

Go for the officer route. They'll pay for your schooling.
>>
>>17179300
Do it! Go secure new markets for the glory of capitalism! Maybe you can become a drone pilot and blow up innocent children from the comfort of an air conditioned trailer!
>>
>>17179300
If you are not an ignorant right winger you will have a bad time as an enlisted soldier. Most enlisted people are ignorant as fuck.
>>
>>17179548
>people still get ptsd from being deployed in non combat roles
>muh away from home

I don't agree with this at all but I'm just pointing it out. It's frankly a bunch of bullshit and about on par with able bodied people getting welfare.

I wish I would have joined the military out of high school because I had no direction. I do really well with structure in my life and it would have done real good for me. I could have gotten skills earlier that translate into a career outside. Plus by now I'd have over 10 years of service and great benefits.
>>
>>17179911
A lot of able bodied people can't find work. Unemployment is a form of welfare. A lot of able bodied people get social security too.
>>
>>17179917
The service industry is always hiring. The turn over rate is stupid high. If you can't get a job at some random fast food place you aren't trying. There's always somewhere hiring. The "I can't find work" excuse is a load of horseshit. They aren't trying hard enough, and yes sometimes you settle for a low paying job that should only be temporary till you find something better.
>>
>>17179934
Yeah, because someone who is used to making 60k and supporting a family should have to work for minimum wage. Safety nets exist for a reason.
>>
>>17179939
I'm not talking about the professional/blue collared worker who get laid off and temporarily receives welfare. I've personally received welfare because my hours were cut at work, and honestly yeah I would have taken my unemployment if I got laid off. I would have also lined up and gotten a job as soon as possible even if it was below my current salary.

Maybe I should have been more clear but I'm talking about the people that abuse the system. There is no denying those people exist. I've at least paid into the system. Some people have never paid into the system yet take from it.
>>
>>17179300
You guys always post this same fucking picture
>>
Here's what I tell everyone.
Of all four branches, the Army is the only one that guarantees the job you select yourself. It's in your contract, and you're slotted for that school unless you fail out of it. Make sure your Asvab score is high or you might find yourself stuck in a shit job by the other branches.

In terms of cushiness: Air Force/Navy/Army/Marines.

Air Force has short deployments, better barracks and housing, an easier APFT and best looking females.

Anyone who says you're guaranteed PTSD is a fucking idiot. I was first line Trauma Team for 4.5 years, seen a whole lot of injuries mangled soldiers, I came out just fine. Was on a base in Afghanistan that they tried to overrun at least once a month.

New officers are fucking idiots(there's a reason there are so many 1LT jokes) Your NCO's will make you into a leader by showing you the correct way, or showing you the wrong way.
>>
>>17179541
YOURE retarded. Just joining the military isn't a guarantee you're going to see combat. There are plenty of jobs where he can learn valuable skills that translate well into the civilian world. Plus if he wants to go infrantry, the majority of those who do see combat don't get ptsd. The likely hood of you dying are significantly lower than previous wars. If you want to fuck shit up OP go army or marine infrantry. Navy and Air Force excluding special ops/forces aren't really going to see action.
>>
>>17179300
>>>/k/meg/
>>
>>17180443
Still qualifies for advice you dumb nigger.

>>17179300
Army set me up Anon. Gave me some direction while I did some growing up, I earned 2 AAS, a BA, and now I'm in grad school on the GI Bill, and all it cost was one nervous breakdown.

10/10 would Iraq again.
>>
I'm thinking of being shipped off to a place where I will be shot at and probably get Allahuackbar'd

It's also a contract so I can't get out of it

Nigga y so dumb
>>
>>17181086
>Still qualifies for advice you dumb nigger.
Doesn't mean there aren't better places to do it.
>>
If you're willing to kill people for money, the mob pays better.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.