[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I let go of my dreams and grow up? For as long as I can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (131 KB, 960x914) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131 KB, 960x914
How do I let go of my dreams and grow up? For as long as I can remember I've been obsessed with music. I sacrifice sleep, my work and personal life suffer, all because I'm drawn to creating it to the point of obsession. I've tried just doing it on the side while I work a real job, but I don't have the self control. I compulsively prioritise it above everything else. I don't even have a real job right now because I'm a DEADSHIT who lives with their parents and does this. I'm not dumb - I had a distinction average in my STEM degree. I just can't shake this compulsion. How do I grow up and get rid of it so I can get a real career and lead a proper life?
>>
I don't know why youd want to, but maybe get rid of all your music gear
>>
The world could probably use more mad geniuses. Not less.
>>
>>17177511
I feel like inadequate shit all the time because of what I do though. I feel like I'm not contributing anything of worth to society. I feel like a child because I don't have a job I can support myself on. I feel like I've accomplished nothing with my life. I got into law school and med school after my bachelors but I turned them both down to do this, and now all my friends are making money and have careers they love. And I just don't. Even my girlfriend looks down on me. She's a teacher and she loves what she does, and gets paid for it. I can see it in her eyes that she thinks I'm a failure because of how carried away I get on this stuff, at the expense of everything else. I just want to give it up. I don't want to want this any more.
>>
>>17177511
I just want to be able to throw this love for music away and have real goals and dreams. To be happy and fulfilled by a professional career. To be able to take a woman out for nice dinners and holidays.
>>
See a psych
>>
>>17177545
Would if I had the money
>>
>>17177562
Save up dude. This doesn't sound healthy
>>
How old are you, OP?

What kind of music do you create?
Are you any good?
Can't you make money off of it?
>>
>>17177594

I mainly make heavy music – hardcore/metal. Also some acoustic/country stuff, and some softer rock. I'm a pretty damn good bassist (I grew up playing jazz and funk) and a decent guitarist/vocalist.

I could make money off it if I got really lucky. Really lucky. But the market is extremely oversaturated, my band aren't anywhere near as obsessed as me, and frankly I'm just tired of trying. I've got family connections on the management and booking side of shit; I've gotten fairly decent international supports through nepotism and whatnot. I don't have the stomach to monetise what I do properly, nor do I want to. I just want to stop caring about it.
>>
>>17177594
>OP asks for help

>Ask unrelated questions

Aight niqqa
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.