[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people cut themselves? Should I try it? So many people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 945283.gif (59 KB, 160x120) Image search: [Google]
945283.gif
59 KB, 160x120
Why do people cut themselves?
Should I try it? So many people can't be wrong
>>
Don't know. No. Yes, they can.

Its stupid and it doesn't help or make the situation better.
>>
People cut themselves because they feel strong emotions have don't know how to express themselves.
They resort to doing something that feels strong (i.e. pain) but isn't really all that expressive.

Life sucks.
That's OK.

Go the gym and sweat out that anxiety.
>>
cutting is just a bad idea. plus it leaves you with a bunch of cutting scars.
>>
>>17176196
I cut myself because I hated everything and wanted to suffer. I guess there is an aspect of having control of my life again too, but honestly i had no real reason to feel like shit I'm just emotionally unbalanced lol.

Most of the scars healed buy i still have traces of "LIFE SUCKS" and "ABYSS" on my leg and arm. I feel like a huge faggot every time i see them. Guess I'll go cut myself over it.
>>
>>17176248
Suffer by exercise and you'll feel both better and people will treat you better.
What are you? Weak?
>>
>>17176196
Top zozzle at the really crap webm
>>
>>17176196
Some deeply troubled people feel really abd about a whole bunch of nebulous things they can't pin down - and in an odd way, not knowing precisely why they feel so bad makes it even worse.

If they cut themselves, they can look at something that in an odd way makes some sense - "I cut myself and it hurts. That's logical. The world makes some sense."

They're still as deeply troubled and unhappy, but the extra level of unhappiness that the world makes no sense is VERY TEMPORARILY relieved.

The fact that they cut themselves again is evidence it is only a very temporary relief.

(The only real help would come from finding out what was causing the original pain, but that's hard and scary work.)

And yes, all those people CAN be very wrong.
>>
>>17176196
Physical pain distracting from emotional pain.

IMO listen to this anon>>17176210

>Go the gym and sweat out that anxiety.

May as well make the pain productive for you instead of having a bunch of shitty scars.
>>
>>17176196
Jesus christ. Are you really asking anonymous ppl on morrocan carpet making forum, if you should cut yourself? Are you really that retarded?
No anon, dont cut yourself. Just get a helium tank
>>
>>17177035
>morrocan carpet making forum
wat?
>>
My girlfriend had a history of cutting and had a recent episode after 3 years of not having it. She shed some light on it that made me think a bit differently. When she has cut, she doesn't actively make the choice to do it. In a fit of major depression and a severe anxiety attack, she took the needle on a pin and cut her arms in her car. She doesn't remember doing it, she never decided "I'm going to cut right now". Its more of your self concious feelings towards yourself, your lack of self worth takes over and it happens.

So to answer your question, "should I cut?". If you have to ask yourself that question, then you're sane enough to not do it, and shouldnt even consider it, as it isn't a sane option and doesn't help anything.
>>
People cut themselves because they've heard of other people doing it.

It's likely like masturbation in a way. Quick shot of adrenaline to the heart pumping and make your mind seem clearer, creates a reason for anxiety in social situations which also increases adrenaline production. Body gets used to the increased levels of adrenaline, and more drastic methods of self-mutilation are required. Eventually, you're carving out chunks of skin or cutting off your genitals for the next quick hit.

Just one more mechanic people like to slip into. I prefer video games.
>>
>>17176196
People cut because it's a way of trying to draw out pain from in them in a way they can manage it better. For some it's a way to cope with emotional pain, but it's destructive and can often intensify the persons emotional anquish.

Some do it to punish themselves. Others yet do it to just see if they can take it.
>>
>>17176210
I've tried this but it doesn't offer the same release that cutting does.
You should still exercise anyway because it makes you more resilient to stress and by doing it you'll be less likely to encounter situations where you want to cut. It doesn't get rid of them entirely but still...
>>
File: what's wrong with me.jpg (34 KB, 499x433) Image search: [Google]
what's wrong with me.jpg
34 KB, 499x433
>>17176196
It feels good in a weird way, and helps to distract you from emotional pain.
t. someone who cut himself while depressed.

Sometimes, when I feel the abyss of depression dragging me back, I am sorta tempted to pick up the hobby knife again.
>>
>>17177051
I experience something similar at times. Although I don't cut myself. When I am very depressed, I get this really intense feeling in my chest and I kind of ... "shake", idk how to explain it, but I think it's adrenaline rush or something. So I just hit myself in the arm as hard as I can for a few times until the rush is over.

It doesn't happen that often though. I could never bring myself to cut myself. And when I was younger, I always viewed cutters as retarded, but I guess what I go through sometimes is quite similar. Although I bet a lot of cutters are attention whores of course.
>>
>>17176196
I don't think you should do it m8, it leave horrible scars on your body which will not be nice to look at years after you did it, it might feel good to do for two reasons: to focus the pain somewhere else then the mind/to make yourself aware of what pain is, you sometimes forgets it when your in mental pain all the time.
and two to get attention, to ask for help, to make a point for someone who are not taking you seriously enough. to express your self as >>17176210 said.
i find alternative ways to harm my self in order to focus the pain somewhere "real", somewhere that it will be for a few minutes, and won't escape that easily, it desecrates my thoughts and give me peace for some time, and is enough for me to focus on something else and become calm. when i feel like my thoughts are too painful i would just look at the marks of the hitting or the scars of scratching, and it will remind me, its kind of nice to look at, and it tells my mind "yes you are in pain" and takes me a little bit back to the feeling of numbness/calmness.

this is my story think about if you feel like doing this to your self or if there are better things you might be able to imagine or do that will make you feel better. its not as easy as counting to 3 but a little planning will help. if it does not help change your situation and the situation will change you emotions.
>>
File: 1463689458316.jpg (585 KB, 1386x1386) Image search: [Google]
1463689458316.jpg
585 KB, 1386x1386
>>17177039
Being this much of a newfag
>>
Attention. It's simple as that.

Seriously, can you think of "cutting" being a thing before the internet? Other incarnations of self harm maybe, but cutting culture is purely a form of attention-seeking and counter culture phenomena that started with the rise of the internet and social media. It's in the same vein as piercings or tattoos or what have you.
>>
>>17176196
you should definitely cut, about 300 to 500 off your TDEE, make sure to hydrate often.
And move alot.
>>
>dancing baby gif
>should I try cutting myself, so many people can't be wrong
How can people fall for bait this obvious? Fuck, /adv/ is seriously one of the dumbest boards on 4chan. I blame all the female posters for it.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.