[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me why I shouldn't double major in Computer Science
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: VbI8NzK (copy).jpg (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
VbI8NzK (copy).jpg
2 MB, 1920x1200
Tell me why I shouldn't double major in Computer Science and Pure Mathematics
>>
>>17174532
It will be hard
>>
>>17174532
There are math majors where you can specialize in computational mathematics.
>>
And also tell me what to minor in. Considering philosphy, botany, chemistry, physics...
>>
Just learn Haskell faggot
>>
>>17174552
I would rather get cancer
>>
>>17174541
I know but I'm saving up enough so that I won't have to work during school, allowing total focus on my school work.

>>17174547
The unfortunate thing is that I'm interested in many different things, so I think this double major best captures my interest (I really want to do pure math, but also was deciding between chemistry, comp sci and electrical engineering).

I justify it by telling myself I can still do work in chemistry by writing code for some computational software or something.. it puts my mind at ease anyway, I've been deciding what to major for so long and just haven't found anything that sits as well as this until now.
>>
>>17174558
You don't work during school for the money. You need to work IN THE INDUSTRY during school for experience. If you don't, you 100% will not find a job.
>>
>>17174558
>The unfortunate thing is that I'm interested in many different things,
That's what every freshman thinks. No matter what STEM field you major in, you will learn a ton from every other field in STEM. Even computer engineers such as myself take enough physics and chemistry to be able to do some neat shit. Your heart is at programming and I can see it. Just don't be a retard and piss off everything else you learn like every other CS major.
>>
>>17174570
And if you want to learn more down the line, just buy a book and study from it. Hell, you might score a new job down the line if you convince them in an interview. Academia isn't everything.
>>
>>17174570
Thanks anon. I'll try my best not to be a retard :^) I don't think I'd ignore what I'd learn, I think it's engaging even as a hobby.

>>17174564
Ok, I will work in industry during school then anon., Regardless, I'm saving enough so I won't have to fret
>>
I did a major in pure math. I wish I did both CS and math. Reason why I didn't do more CS was because I took an intro class in C++ and it was absolutely terrible, but then I found out later about CS stuff like data structures and algorithms. Also, I like machine learning. Both Python and Haskell are really good languages for pure math people.
>>
>>17174589
thanks for the input, anon. Just want any final criticisms before I seal the deal in fall. Gonna take calc and a computer science class next term
>>
>>17174532
>3 years from now
>OP spamming threads about how he's not close to finishing a major because he's swamped in work
>can't get a job because all time dedicated to school and no internship
>>
A.I is on its way to taking all computer jobs.
>>
I'm about to finish my cs/maths degree and I found it pretty cool for the most part.
>>
>>17174532
It really doesn't matter when it comes to finding a job. Work on personal portfolio and internships
>>
>>17174920
You can start off going for both pure math and CS. But know that pure math doesn't really start until abstract algebra and real analysis.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.