[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lottery gambling addiction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: cantdodgetheodds.png (446 KB, 492x479) Image search: [Google]
cantdodgetheodds.png
446 KB, 492x479
Another $20 spent on Powerball tickets with no return. I have been addicted to lottery gambling for over 4 years, and I still don't see a better alternative to achieving financial liberation thats actually feasible. Life doesn't seem worth living if you have to work to survive, and your wealth is limited to what the man will pay you to be his slave, or what others will pay you for your services. My happy view of life was based on the assumption that I will eventually win the lottery, and meanwhile using up my inheritance money on comforts at an unsustainable rate while also spending over $50 a week on lottery tickets. No matter how objectively retarded it is to seriously attempt to win the lottery I kept on doing it because I cannot see any other alternative. I have nothing to compete for, I never want to have kids and I don't care about attracting women. All that matters is that I have enough money to enjoy high quality lifestyle while also enjoying the free time I have left on this human existence. I admit to people that I do the lottery, but I wonder how people would react in real life if I was open about just how deep my gambling addiction is and how I feel I have no financial agency apart from just buying more and more lottery tickets hoping to be spared from slavery and poverty, and then just go off and never gamble again and live modestly enough to make it last.

Not sure what specific advice I am seeking posting this here, but I will read every reply and maybe even make excuses as to why your suggestion won't work for me.
>>
>>17169267
Dear OP.

Your problem is the addiction and the delusion you've wrapped yourself up in. No amount of perspective feelgood talking is going to persuade you to the contrary until you break out of that cycle.
>>
>>17169286
I'm open for potentially helpful constructive criticism
>>
> Life doesn't seem worth living if you have to work to survive

Maybe you should ask yourself why you hate work so much

If you had a decent attitude about it you could have a cushy high paying job
>>
>>17169316
Are you, really?

Everyone likes the idea of winning the lotto . I'm not going to give you shit for that. The horseshit I will can you out on is the apperant spendthrift behavior with inheritance money.

You're willing to gamble on a nigh statistical impossibility. So since you're playing the odds, why are you banking on a long shot and not investing in yourself?

You haven't posted much about yourself, but if you want to enjoy those fine and expensive things in life, you can't be an inept and undereducated shitstain and expect to fully enjoy life.

Play the lotto. Just don't rely on it to save your ass while you burn the candle on both ends. Be smart, get your finances figured out, get rid of as much debt as you can, learn some highly marketable and transferable skills, and otherwise make you're you've got your shit on lock down before your bubble bursts.
>>
>>17169342
I'd actually be happier working 20 hours a week for $12/hour than be enslaved to work 50 hours a week no matter how much it pays.

>>17169358
not everyone, some openly admit they are too retarded to have that much money or feel lost and depressed without having the structure of a full time job
>>
>>17169267
Fact: you have a better chance of being sruck by lightning TWICE than of winning the lottery once.

Put another way, your chances of winning are improved insignificantly if you actually buy a ticket.
>>
>>17169854
but is there a more reliable easy way out?
>>
>>17169342
>If you had a decent attitude about it you could have a cushy high paying job
You're retarded.
>>
>>17169854
That's per ticket. Op obviously has purchased more than one.
>>
>>17169267
If you're going to gamble, invest in the stock market. You can get literally get rich over night if you know what you're doing. You just need to dedicate yourself to learn how it all works. You don't need a impressive education either. There is luck involved with that too, but as an addict that should be right up your ally.
>>
Or perhaps turn to a life of crime, there's a lot of money in the drug trade.
>>
>>17169948
Day trading is controlled by robots designed by tech and finance savants, how can whit men even compete?
>>
>>17169948
>You can get literally get rich over night if you know what you're doing.
lol, sure
>>
the odds of winning the Powerball are 1 in 292,201,338. You have a better chance of flipping a coin 28 times and getting 28 heads in a row.

Your odds of winning reset every week, meaning if you bought 50 tickets last week, 80 tickets the week before that, and 120 tickets the week before that, the odds of winning this week are the same: 1 in 292,201,338.

Try flipping a coin, and try getting 28 heads in a row, resetting the count every time you get tails. You will never get close. Statistically speaking, it will take you 29 years of non-stop flipping (no eating, no sleeping, nothing) to get 28 heads in a row, based on 3 seconds per flip.

You will not win. And here's the worse news: Even if you did win, you would blow through the money and be in the same position, if not a worse position, than you are now, because you are terrible enough with money that you can spend this much on a lottery ticket each month.

Stop playing the lottery. Learn how to be responsible with your finances. Research the stock market and crypto markets. If you put a lot of effort into learning how the markets work, you will be able to generate passive income for yourself without having to work as a wage slave. I am a living testament to this. I hated giving someone else 45+ hours of my week for shit pay. I spent nearly a year learning about the markets and now generate passive income.

>>17169948
the only way you're going to get rich overnight in the markets is sheer luck; and while you have a better chance at it than the Powerball, you will still more likely lose all your money. Develop a strategy where your odds of profiting are 51% or higher, and stick to it.
>>
>>17170600
How much initial money do you need to risk to get this "passive income?" And I doubt whatever you are talking about is actually passive income, since you have to work to maintain it (or be so rich already you pay financial planners to do it for you).

Lottery is so alluring because
>People do win the lottery all the time
>Can play for only $1-2 per ticket
>Can buy it anywhere any time

Jackpot is graduated payments over 30 years, so if I won the next Powerball for example, I would get about $1.5 million (before tax) the first year and increasing every year for 29 years.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.