[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 21 and I'm just now realizing I may be schizoaffective.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot_20160520-200001.png (381 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160520-200001.png
381 KB, 1440x2560
I'm 21 and I'm just now realizing I may be schizoaffective. How does one manage it and how or what can I do to help?
Many of the symptoms seem to fall in line with a lot of what I've experienced. I never really considered the possibility until I tried some acid about a month ago. As I started peaking I began getting paranoid which quickly turned into fear and I got stuck in a bad trip. Afterwards I always felt something was off about me.
My parents exhibit some features of schizophrenia so genes might be a factor but they've never had a proper diagnosis so it's all guesswork.
>>
Go see a doctor
>>
>>17165981
This. Self diagnosing is almost always a dumb as shit thing to do. Even if you're trained to diagnosis this stuff, it's still stupid to try to diagnosis yourself.
>>
>>17165977
This is the first time I've heard of schizoaffective disorder and according to the symptoms it sounds a lot like me. I should see a doctor. You too, OP.
>>
I would also look up derealization.
>>
I'm 22 and I actually am schizoaffective. Funnily enough, I was diagnosed last year when I was 21. They changed my original diagnosis of schizophrenia to schizoaffective because of showing bipolar tenancies as well.

I've been in and out of the psych wards and rehabs and done all the programs for 4 years and honestly it's a load of bullshit. The whole "risk to yourself" factor doesn't even exist. Nobody cares, and nobody gives a single shit about you unless it affects them in some way. When they say you're a risk to yourself, you're really just a risk to other people.

Say for example, you commit suicide. You fuck up your social network of family and friends with grief, which ties up the mental health system. If you're a loner like me, then you fuck up the government with the brief media backlash, have 15 minutes of fame, then be forgotten about as you are 1 in 7 billion people on this planet.

People might say to me that I'm paranoid. I'm extremely paranoid. Where most people see the good in people, I automatically see the bad in people. Anyone that even tries to talk to me, the first thing that goes through my head is "Is this person talking to me because they want to, or is this person talking to me because they want something?"

Of course, this leads me to having zero social contact with people. The plus side to this is I've stopped giving a shit about other people ages ago. I simply do what I want to do. I run my own shit and anyone that wants to stand in my way gets trampled over. Currently I've been going on Khan Academy. I'd like to get better at maths, become more educated. Hopefully then, I can make a program or something and make money off it.

The trick here is to stop giving a rats ass about what other people want, and what society wants, and start thinking about the things that you want from you. Live for yourself. Become completely independent to the point where you don't need to ask other faggots for things besides what you need from the shops.
>>
>>17166003
I highly doubt you people have this if you're coherent enough to post on a message board. I know someone who was actually diagnosed with this disorder and during his episode he started hallucinating and talking rapidly about odd stuff. He also attacked an ambulance driver during this because of his hallucination/disorganized thinking and had to be institutionalized until his psychosis passed.

I'm assuming you're just latching on to some key phrases in this little summary and don't actually have it.
>>
>>17166026
Schizophrenia is an episodic thing you retard. Schizophrenics are capable of living normal lives, we just have a little demon in us that likes to come out every now and then.
>>
Psychiatric nurse here.

>>17166026

For a start there are different levels of unwellness. Some people may only be slightly paranoid, others will lock themselves in their homes and carry knives eveywhere. Theres no one size fits all. That would be like saying that all people with diabetes present the same way. Which is untrue. Some people got it worse than others.

Secondly, sometimes people can just be severely unwell for a short period of time. As in have an acute episode. Thats probably what happened to your friend.
>>
>>17166052
If I'm the type to carry knives and stay home am I danger?
>>
>>17166061

Everybodys a danger. Including me.

Do you have thoughts of harming anyone? Why do you carry the knife?
>>
>>17166061
Yes, because you might leave the house during an episode.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.