[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i want to copy (aka steal) some word and pdf documents from my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: insider-data-theft[1].png (146 KB, 413x282) Image search: [Google]
insider-data-theft[1].png
146 KB, 413x282
i want to copy (aka steal) some word and pdf documents from my work computer, is there anyway my boss can find out i did that?
>>
Depends on what kind of group policies and AV software installed (assuming Windows).
>>
Absolutely. Do they have reason to bother though?

Windows creates records of file modifications and copy procedures.
>>
>>17164632
computers record basically everything.
>>
File: Cosmic_Pepe_DO_NOT_STEAL.jpg (74 KB, 500x494) Image search: [Google]
Cosmic_Pepe_DO_NOT_STEAL.jpg
74 KB, 500x494
>>17164632
I wouldn't have thought he'd be able to tell that you've copied them on to a flash drive or whatever. Besides, unless he allready suspects or has reason to believe you'll steal them he has no reason to be looking for it.

The thing that's likley to get you caught is whatever you do with them once you have them, allthough it depends what they are and what you want them for. If it's copyrighted material and you upload it to a torrent site they might catch you because you're the only one who had access to it, or perhaps the one you have saved is an older iineration than everyone else's and they figure it out that way. If it's a trade secret that you're going to try and sell to a competitor all the previous things apply, plus the risk that they might blow the whistle on you. There are lots of possible scenarios and really the only safe thing to do is take the document home and never show it to anyone.
>>
>>17164632
That can be anywhere between harmless and entirely illegal with jail time attached. Yes, your boss can find out everything you do while on your company network.
>>
>>17164632
Your best bet is to printscreen everything you want to copy and then copy the images before deleting them. It's less likely to raise red flags.
>>
>>17164849
do this, but instead CUT and paste the image to a flash drive.
>>
>>17164632
>Suit and a ski mask
Classy
>>
>>17164632
If you used clonezilla or another program you could literally copy the contents of the HDD without it flagging up.
But if they have the group policy settings active, they can see you copied the data in the event logs.
Depending on how much time you have etc you might have trouble explaining why your screen was so basic for a few hours.
>>
>>17164927
Can track when you've transferred anything to/from a flash drive.
>>
Yes but why would they be checking? Like others have said they can practically see everything you do. This is why I don't surf the net on my work computers like a lot of the idiots I work with. I just use my smartphone and stream from my data plan.

I have two personal desktops and a laptop at work that I'm constantly transferring documents to and from that are all confidential and proprietary. My zip drive is on my key chain right now and it's full of shit from work.
>>
>>17164632
There's always a way. But that also applies the other way. You can do it somehow, but without knowing your circumstances we can't really advise you on how to do it. Also it's probably illegal.

Email edward snowden lel. I'm sure he'll help you.
>>
>>17164632
take a picture of the screen, then no activity on the computer will happen
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.