[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you categorize music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 1460770992564.jpg (68 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1460770992564.jpg
68 KB, 633x758
How do you categorize music?
>>
>>17162946
I don't understand what you're asking. Are you asking how I organize it? Are you asking how I judge one song compared to others?
>>
>>17162984
How do you put 2000 songs into different genres and sub genres?
>>
>>17162998
I have on spotify playlist with all my favorite songs, genres range from gangsta rap to country music, just don't give a fuck fag
>>
Fluidly, and arbitrarily.

ie, do whatever the fuck you want, when you want, how you want, why you want. Also, don't visit /mu/. Your mind is being polluted.
>>
I don't do genre tags. honestly I just keep the metadata I downloaded it with unless it's wrong or makes it hard to find it. the quality of your relationship with music has to do with the music not its organization
>>
File: 1462710315625.png (92 KB, 223x296) Image search: [Google]
1462710315625.png
92 KB, 223x296
>>17162946

I normally categorize a song based on the main genres it incorporates; many songs can easily fit into a single genre, but many more are complex pieces which could belong to multiple genres. So instead of saying "x song is from y genre" I say that "x song incorporates musical features from a,b,c,d genres".

I don't organize my songs in my music libraries by genre, though I usually make playlists focused around running (consistent, high bpm), lifting (high bpm with some high and low texture), relaxing, nostalgia, etc.

But yea, don't be a fag with having to put every song into a single genre and debating with others about where it belongs.
>>
>>17163135
it should be easier to tag genres than that. usually all of an artist's music would fall into the same "genre" as the word's currently used. It basically just means "scene"
>>
>>17163139

Well yea, most if not all of an artist's work will belong to the same musical genre(s), but what I'm talking about is how do you decide which genre(s) that artists belongs to? I just choose the top 3 or so genres the music sounds like and say it was influenced by all of them, instead of sticking to a single genre which some/many people might disagree with (especially /mu/sic snobs)
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.