[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My 4 year old cat died today after having been hit by a car this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: PicsArt_05-19-03.21.42.jpg (833 KB, 3052x1717) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_05-19-03.21.42.jpg
833 KB, 3052x1717
My 4 year old cat died today after having been hit by a car this morning. The driver who killed her just placed her on the grass next to the road and didn't even bother to check her ear for the registration number. Now some people are calling me silly for crying over a cat. But this cat was just every bit as much a part of my family as my brother. I saved her life when she was born and we were inseparable. She'd sleep next to me and she truly had a special personality. She'd let you know when she was unhappy with something.

But is it really silly?
>pic related, it's her
>>
>>17161138
>crying over a cat
this is not silly

>but this cat was just every bit as much a part of my family as my brother
This is kinda silly.
>>
They are the ones who are being insensitive. Like seriously what a bunch of assholes.
>>
>>17161138
Rest in Peace Cat
>>
>>17161145
Well I guess they just don't value life of animals, perhaps smaller than dogs, as much. I feel like I'm being mocked.
>>
>>17161138
Sorry for your loss mate, she looks like a good cat. I'd be absolutley devastated - or rather I will be absolutley devastated when one of mine goes. All those guys who are giving you earache over it are doing is demonstrating that they haven't experienced the bond that you build up when you have a good pet.

Do you know the details of the driver who did it? Not trying to put ideas in to your head or anything, but people say it's bad luck to let a black cat cross your path, so if he ran over one in his car then the next day his house burned to the ground whilst he was in it I don't think anyone would give it a second thought.
>>
The fact that you reference your cat as her or she 6 times in one short paragraph is worrying to me.
>>
>>17161202
Why is that weird? Animals are usually given gender-based pronouns in English when their gender is known
>>
File: image.jpg (132 KB, 784x510) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132 KB, 784x510
>>17161138
I feel you bro. I had a cat like yours, loved him. He slept in my bed and when I was sick he spent the whole day with me. There are cats who are better mates than dogs, or even people. If yours was one of them, I'm very sorry for your loss.
>>
>>17161202
I think you might be autistic.
>>
>>17161189
My dad said he saw a black cat at the side of the road this morning. None of us believed it was her because she NEVER strays that far. The area around our house, the fence and the next house along with the neighbors are the only places she ventures. She's more inside than out and has a "tight" schedule. She's weird like that.
>fed at 4-6 in the morning
>is let out for 10 minutes
>sleeps throughout the noon til 2 p.m
>fed again
>is let out for 10 minutes
>sleeps/plays before dinner
>fed at 6
>is let out
>fed at 11 p.m
>let out for the night, comes back at 4 a.m
Rinse and repeat.
This has been happening for 3 years and she would have turned 5 this year.

The driver must have hit her at the side of her head, then dragged her to the side and driven off.

I just miss her. I keep waiting for her to come to be fed.
>>
I had a nearly 20 year old cat put down last year. I'm a regular guy, wife, kids, job, house, etc. I was at the vet with the cat to put him down. I was petting him while they injected him with whatever was going to kill him. I cried when he died. I told him i loved him. Some folks feel strongly about family pets. Other people are much more unattached.
>>
>>17161138
>The driver who killed her just placed her on the grass next to the road and didn't even bother to check her ear for the registration number
Just be glad they decided to put it on the side instead of leaving it there to become ground beef. We have so many strays where I'm from no one would bat an eye at a dead cat on the road.
>>
>>17161217
Well I'm on 4chan so I already knew that.
>>
>>17161296
I can't imagine how that must be. I just miss her so damned much. The house seems a bit empty now. I'm not really the weepy, cry-at-the-movies type but I held this little life dear to me.
>>
it's fine to feel that way about your cat. you build relationships with your pets, trust and an understanding with each other.

the problem is, they aren't human. when someone hits your cat, they dont have this relationship with your cat. to them, it's just a cat and it's unfortunate they died. they aren't going to lose any sleep over it, because it's just not a big deal.

do what you need to do to feel better about this, time is the only way things will improve. but the person who hit your cat didn't really do anything wrong.
>>
>>17161138
Crying over the cat isn't silly.
Expecting someone to do anything after hitting a cat is silly
Thinking your cat is anything like a sibling is a bit childish.
>>
>>17161138
You should have to justify how you feel.
Just feel what you feel. Mourn your friend and fuck worrying about what everyone else thinks.
>>
>letting your cat to roam outside

Sorry for your loss OP, but I fucking hate people who do this.
>>
>>17161387
She doesn't roam.. She's spayed and has never left the neighborhood. She's also marked and chipped. My parents wouldn't let me keep her in as we have windows and doors open during the summer. But it took me 1 year to keep her on our turf. She was careful around cars as well. What brought her up to the main road I don't know. Recently there's been a few wild ones in our garden, no collar or mark, so I think perhaps she's been chasing one out of the area. There's no fields or anything by the road, it leads to the high way and she's definitely not dumb enough to go close to it due to curiosity.

If she was, she wouldn't have been alive for almost 5 years.

Besides, cats are at greater risk of depression when their natural instincts are "locked" - I'm fairly sure I've been as responsible as one can be. The yard is fenced in too.
>>
File: saavik with chickens.jpg (430 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
saavik with chickens.jpg
430 KB, 1024x768
>>17161138
you're not silly. not everybody gets attached to pets, but a lot of pet owners do. even if they're not human they can still feel like part of the family. there's nothing wrong with that. some people will never get it. disregard them. they need to mind their own business.

my condolences for your loss. I have lost a few cats over the years as well, and it's always hard. the last one I lost was a black cat like yours. she was given to me as a kitten when I was in high school. she was about 16 and suddenly got ill, the vet couldn't figure out what was wrong (no toxins, disease etc), but her organs were failing. I guess she was just dying of old age. so I had them put her to sleep and I stayed with her til the last. it's been six years since then and sometimes she still visits me in dreams. pic related, it's her.

fuck, now I'm crying too. see? it's normal, don't worry about it. go ahead and let it out OP. it's all part of the healing process.
>>
>>17161138
That's sad that happened OP, but honestly you shouldn't be letting your cat roam around outside. You should have known that there are predators, cars, dogs, etc out there that could have all spelled the end for your cat.
>>
yes yes, we know you're not supposed to let cats roam. maybe if we all lecture OP about it enough, it'll spontaneously cause a time warp and he can go back and prevent it.

oh wait he can't. so take the finger wagging elsewhere, I'm sure he gets the point.
>>
>>17161138
>just placed her on the grass next to the road
That's kinder than what most people do. poor kitty
>>
>>17161434
Horse shit. My cat has been allowed to roam outside whenever she pleased for all nineteen years of her life so far. We live in a forested area with bears and foxes and next to two roads, and despite sniffing an adult black bear nose-to-nose once, she's perfectly fine.

The guilty party is the driver who not only struck and killed a pet but didn't even have the courtesy to deal with the aftermath and just drove off instead. Don't try to saddle the OP with guilt that he doesn't deserve when he's already grieving.
>>
I had to put my cat to sleep two weeks ago. She was 18 years old. I got her when I was seven. She had fluid in her lungs and she was just shutting down. Held her while they put her to sleep. Told her I loved her. It gets better OP. Sorry to hear you lost your kitty so young. I know how it feels. Just remember how much you loved your kitty and the funny things you shared.
>>
>>17161138
Read up some buddhist philosophy
Time heals everything
Allow yourself to feel sad
I lost my cat too when she was 3 years old, hit by a car, I was completely traumatized for weeks and didn't understand how the hell the universe would allow this to happen
She was a member of the family
Time passed
And I don't feel sad anymore, I can watch old pictures of her and smile, and thank her for having lived with us for a time
Don't try to replace her, you can't
People who don't understand attachment to animals are stupid, and if they don't understand you, these are not your friends, they're stupid humans you hang out with
Go vegetarian and respect life even more, your love for your cat is the individual expression of human love for creation
She's not in pain nor suffering, she passed and moved on, she'll always be in your heart
Good luck man, life goes on for you, cherish it while it lasts
>>
>>17161459
Thank you for clarifying. The mother of my cat is still alive and well but she lives with an elderly couple at the first house on our road. 13 years and still comes to visit when her daughter isn't around. (Talk about having a bad relationship with your mom) - I let my cat out because she wouldn't stop crying at doors and windows. 5 years nearly and no accidents. It just happened that today she ran too far for whatever reason and collided with a car. Granted it's neither the drivers fault or my cats, but it's not mine either. We live on a quiet road, lots of woody areas and a remote field not far from here where she did most of her hunting.

I don't believe she would be happy being kept inside. She was a hunter but also a great cuddle buddy. She loved having her belly rubbed, her ears massaged and food of course.

What made me angry was the pure lack of respect for me as the owner. Multiple sites refer to our emergency services for injured animals when pets, wildlife and such are hit. It's known to most but the difference is that people value animals by size. Hit a dog? The driver doesn't just run. Hit a cat? Fuck it, not gonna be late. Hit a deer? Fuck me, I'm gonna be so late.

Cats are closer to rats than to dogs when it comes to it's life value. And that saddens me.
>>
>>17161473
Thank you for the kind words and sorry for your loss too. I'm getting a few pictures framed of her. :) Think it'll help a bit to have them on the wall.
>>
>>17161459
Thanks for contributing to the extinction of songbirds asshole.
>>
My first cat died a few years ago from I presume cancer (they didn't even want to tell us unless we paid thousands). They didn't tell us he had an issue that they discovered months before he started showing signs of sickness because apparently we hadn't taken him to get checked up for that reason.

He was put under anaesthetic to check for any problems and when he woke up he choked to death.

My dad got him for me when we moved country as I was very young and knew no one. He was there for me for years through everything my family went through. Most beautiful sweet cat ever. Shocked our whole family and we still tear up if we talk about him.

Cats are creatures too anon, of course it's not silly to feel sad. Your cat is in a better place now chasing mice and waiting for you. It'll be fine, get another kitty when you fee ready (like we did and he's just as awesome).
>>
>>17161504
I think humans eradicate more birds than cats do.
>>
>>17161138
No, it's not silly to mourn for a pet.

You should really keep your cats indoors, though, anon. Besides being exposed to disease and danger, cats wreak havoc on the local ecosystem.
>>
>>17161623
She was an indoor/outdoor cat. :) Spayed, vaccinated, treated for disease, fleas and worms. She wasn't a cheap cat to have around. :) And I'd disagree, she helped the neighborhood, getting rid of rats and mice and other unwanted rodents/animals. She wasn't just loved by me or my family. She was loved by the entire neighborhood. I'd say she was a therapy cat. Our next-door neighbors liked when she slept on their couch and our other neighbors liked when she was on their loungers on the terrace. Both are elderly and liked to sit with her. It gave them comfort.
>>
>>17161678
Look, I'm not blaming you for anything and I'm not saying there's no merit to an outdoor cat.

I'm saying that indoor cats live much much longer, and it is generally better for all parties involved to prevent the cat from getting out. It sounds like you didn't have much choice in the matter.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.