[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How soon is too soon to start asking for particular shifts at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
How soon is too soon to start asking for particular shifts at a fast food job?

I'm in my third week at Five Guys and having me work the closing shift is NOT working out for everyone. I clean way too slowly and end up fucking everyone over. If no one has complained about it yet I'm sure it's coming.

I've been wanting to ask the manager if I can just work the noon/afternoon shifts (I already mostly do anyway) but this is my first job and I dunno if it'd be rude or effective.
>>
>>17160115

its rude, but not for the reasons you are thinking. its rude because instead of rising to the challenge and getting better / faster at cleaning, you are insisting on the easier shift, where you arent required to do that work.
>>
>>17160115
I'm going to say this in order to try to help you. You better try to develop a sense of urgency at work. If you're too slow on the closing shift, who the fuck wants to work with you during the day? Spoiler: No one will.

I know you probably are asking yourself, "WHY SHOULD I WORK HARD AT THIS WHEN THEY PAY ME GARBAGE?" You have to start somewhere unfortunately.

Start busting ass at work and they'll give you any shift you want eventually.
>>
slightly off-topic: why does every fast food place have that one shift leader who's a total fucking nazi for no apparent reason

what motivates these people
>>
>>17160143
Because they have no real power in their lives. They work for minimum wage, or barely above minimum wage, at a shit job that does nothing for them except give them a paycheck. No one respects them, and they have little hope of bettering their situation unless they're also going to school to one day get out of fast food. When you have no real power, you leap at a chance to fake some sort of power over those below you.

This is basic sociology and class/power systems.
>>
>>17160149
it doesn't even seem to satisfy them, tho, they just seem stressed out as fuck. to be fair this is 100% anecdote, based on when i worked at mcdonalds and when i worked at five guys. most shift leaders were just regular employees in charge of a little more stuff, but there'd be that one who was just a high-strung mess who seemed like they were trying to do an impression of gordon ramsay on hells kitchen.

do they think it will get them a management position someday?
>>
>>17160154
I'd be stressed out too. If min wage is, say, 7.50, a shift lead is making, AT BEST, 8 an hour. .50 more to try and wrangle a bunch of kids who also don't give a shit. That's a nightmare.

Get an education and get out as fast as you can.
>>
>>17160156
well, most of them seem to manage just fine without losing their heads. the neurotic walking-meltdowns are the minority. but aren't they doing the same job?
>>
>>17160159
You're asking why some people handle stress well and others can't handle it at all. What the hell answer do you want? Everyone is different, and your experience is anecdotal. Someone else has run 100% into psycho managers. Someone else has run into 100% chill managers. People are people. People in shitty jobs have a higher likelihood of being shitty. Your mileage will vary.
>>
>>17160154
They're probably stressed out because they have to pick up the pace for people like you that can't work at a decent pace.
>>
>>17160188
Pretty much this. I'm a new shift leader at a fast food joint. The job is piss easy, yet there are always those employees who call out every day, or are too fucking slow at their job and are messing up. It's stressful as hell when you're trying to make everything go right to not only make your bosses happy but also do a good job so you don't get demoted back to the position you worked so hard to get out of. Doesn't help that you work with people who don't give a fuck or even try just a little bit. I don't want to be here late at night either, I'm more tired than you are, why are you complaining and why can't you help me?
>>
>>17160252
What was the payraise? $1/hr?

If so, why take on so much more responsibility for such a meager raise? Is it in hope of further promotion? Am I wrong to assume that further promotion is highly unlikely regardless of your performance?

Was it just forced on you?
>>
>>17160258
I've been there for 2 years. I make $10 when I'm running shifts. I never wanted to be a runner at this job, but considering I was the pretty much the hardest worker and best employee, I decided to go for it to make the stores managers life easier.

They didn't want me to be one originally because of my avoidant personality, but considering the person that was made a runner before me is always calling out, they gave me a chance... And though it was scary, it's gotten a little easier and it's actually a lot of fun. I just wish some employees wanted to put more effort in. It would make my life easier.
>>
>>17160258
But to answer your question, it depends on your stores manager. On whether they care or not.
There is a lot of growth in this job. Hell there is someone that has worked there for 3 months and has already been talked to about becoming a runner. I think theyd be awesome.

The next position after runner is assistant manager, then general manager. My general manager already said they could see me as a really good one one day, but I don't want that responsibility.
>>
>>17160137

>Start busting ass at work and they'll give you any shift you want eventually.

No they won't. They don't reward hardwork at these places. They treat everyone like shit because their business model is built around enormous turnovers of staff.

In these kinds of jobs they will never ever respect you because you're just fucking meat to them. Unskilled meat that can be replaced in two days time.

So OP, I say ask for whatever you want and do as little work as possible while making the job as bearable as you can. It's usually more interesting to do the job properly, but it's not worth working hard for these assholes.
>>
doesn't hurt to try
>>
When I was young and worked at those types of places, I found the harder I worked, the more the place would try to make me their bitch. It was even worse if they knew I needed the job (i.e had my own rent to pay etc), they would push the envelope pretty fucking far.

I would typically go from working a normal position, to being expected to do 3 positions at once, all while the other employees worked at their normal shit.

Therefore, speed up and get better, but don't become one of those diehard employees because you'll just get fucked.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.