[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Problems with my GTX 570
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: gtx570-phantom-6b.jpg (163 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
gtx570-phantom-6b.jpg
163 KB, 1280x1024
Hey guys, I recently got a Gainward GTX 570 Phantom Edition given to me from a friend as an upgrade to my severely outdated GTX 260. However I'm having trouble getting it to work in my system.

The problem I'm having is when I try to boot my system it freezes at the "Starting Windows" screen, I haven't been able to get past this screen even when booting from an installation USB to reinstall windows, it freezes at this same screen.

My first thought was that my power supply wasn't good enough for the card and it wasn't able to supply it with sufficient power so I upgraded my supply and still the same problem persists.

After this I decided to try the card in another system to verify that it was working correctly so I installed it in my Dad's system with the power supply I upgraded and it worked fine implying that the problem is with my system.

Does anyone on here have any suggestions for me to try or has anyone experienced this before? Or is this just a common problem with the 570?
>>
When Windows boots it does a system check to see what components you have. If the screen goes black you are having motherboard|graphic driver issues. See if you can boot using igpu if you have it and try installing the drivers first before installing your card
>>
also bios update nigga
>>
Is your system overclocked or anything?
>>
I have the latest version of nvidia's drivers installed on my system but u still can't get past this screen. You know the animation that Windows 7 does with he 4 colours coming together? It freezes right as that animation starts and just sticks on that screen

Gonna try bios updates, see if that helps
>>
>>17158130
No everything is default
>>
>>17158111
Going to look into iGPU now
>>
>>17158121
Turns out my bios is on the latest version
>>
>>17158139
Everything is default? Shit, then I guess you have to replace everything. ;D

What was your old PS rating, what is your current PS rating, and what was your fathers PS rating?
>>
>>17158165
I really wish I could replace everything man, hahaha. One day, when I have the money ;)

My old PS was a very cheap crappy 500w and the one I upgraded to is a decent quality 600w. My Dad's was never used, i used the 600w in his system
>>
File: Snapchat-7758721504692828472.jpg (370 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-7758721504692828472.jpg
370 KB, 1080x1920
Just to specify when it's freezing. It boots to this screen and then stops. It doesn't go black I just hangs here forever.

The little dot in the picture it the first orb from the windows logo animation that starts
>>
>>17158223
It has to be an instability. Whenever I have an instability with my motherboard, that's usually one of the first places I'll see it.

Try playing around with any settings that would serve to change clocks or voltages, and set them manually. Stock settings on AMD processors and motherboards for example can be horrendously unstable.

It doesn't really make sense that you'd never have experience an issue prior to this as a result, but I mean, it's worth trying.

Past that, I'd check the ram and try booting up stick by stick. It really shouldn't be a driver issue, windows is usually pretty good with it's default drivers.
>>
Oh, and try booting with the card into safe-mode.
>>
>>17158266
I'll try booting it with a stick at a time and see if that helps at all, thanks man
>>
>>17158277
I get the same problem with safe mode too
>>
>>17158333
Well, that rules out drivers then. We're getting somewhere.

If it's not the ram, it's not the drivers, then it can only be the PSU, the GPU itself, or the motherboard.

What is the exact model and revision of your motherboard?
>>
>>17158354
I almost certain that the card is good. The guy I got it from is very protective of his old parts and it worked fine on my Dad's board

My motherboard is an MSI MS-7395 ver 1.0 P35 Neo3
>>
>>17158327
do this, take out all your ram and try w/ 1 stick. if it won't boot with any of the sticks...

try removing everything that isn't core to booting up. etc.

you've tried a fresh install of windows? could do that also, don't get me wrong this sounds like software but you never know w/ M$
>>
>>17158373
also pls pls make sure that everything is plugged in all the way and tight. in fact just reseat everything and check all the cables from PSU etc. also make sure its not just power coming off the wall or something.

oftentimes its a very simple silly oversight that fucks us up. like does the card require 2 6-pins and you only have one or something
>>
>>17158422
I've been running it with the bare minimum plugged in the whole time. I have the MB, my boot hdd and the GPU plugged in, that's it.

Yeah I tried a fresh install and it didn't seem to do much. I had to put in my old card to go through the windows installation then swapped the cards and it didn't make a difference. I've triple checked that everything is plugged in also :)

I'm trying with one stick of ram at a time to see if that's a problem now

Oh and the card needs a 6pin and an 8pin. Both of which are securely plugged in
>>
Do you have quick-boot enabled? If so, turn that off.
>>
>>17158472
Could also try turning off Auto-disable DIMM/PCI frequency and Spread Spectrum.

They're two features designed to reduce EMI, but the affect compatibility a bit.
>>
>>17158472
Don't wanna sound like an idiot but does Windows 7 even have quick boot? Thought that was Windows 8+?
>>
>>17158519
It's a bios feature, not a windows feature. It just affects device detection, and timeouts.
>>
>>17158540
Oh right okay. I haven't seen anything like that in my BIOS before so I'm gonna assume thats off
>>
At the moment I'm making another Windows USB to try another fresh install on a different hard drive because you never know ay
>>
>>17158552
Should be under the Advanced Bios Features tab according to the manual.
If it's not there, then don't worry about it.
>>
>>17158583
I'll check in a sec when this USB is done
>>
>>17157932
What motherboard and CPU?
>>
>>17158621
MSI MS-7395

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
>>
>>17158583
Turns out that quick boot was enabled so I've disabled that and I'm gonna try it once more before reinstalling
>>
>>17158636
Still nothing I'm afraid
>>
>>17158651
mmmh.. maybe ask in >>>/g/sqt ??
Im kinda drunk now, the only thing I can think of is PCI express related problems (check what version your motherboard supports). These cards usually require PCI-e 2.x+
>>
>>17158664
I thought that too, but as it would happen, PCI-E 2.0 is backwards compatible.

OP's board supports PCI-E 1.0 as far as I can tell. His original GPU was also a 2.0 though, so that shouldn't be the issue.
>>
>>17158670
I was just going to say my GTX 260 is 2.0 and that's worked fine with this board for many years now
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.