[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going into college for computer science, and I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 500k--o33-1.gif (2 MB, 2211x2749) Image search: [Google]
500k--o33-1.gif
2 MB, 2211x2749
I'm going into college for computer science, and I want a good GPA
Any tips on how to not fail out?
>>
File: 500k--o33-2.gif (2 MB, 2204x2748) Image search: [Google]
500k--o33-2.gif
2 MB, 2204x2748
bamp
>>
This is obvious advice, but put in enough time, do all your assignments yourself and make sure you understand everything. Don't be afraid to ask professors or classmates for help.
>>
>I'm going into college for computer science
Okay, good so far

>and I want a good GPA
Change your major right now. If you need somebody to tell you "Study and do your homework thoroughly" then you're not fucking cut out for CS.
All you're going to do is drag down the programs even further than they already have been, making all the actually informative classes senior level.
>>
>>17155850
advice is specific to comp sci since i'm cs as well

make sure your math is up to scratch.
study python, it's a good beginner language.
learn the languages they are going to teach you ahead of time
get comfortable with linux (install onto a virtual machine)
>>
>>17155938
I study and do my homework thoroughly in high school. I got fucked on a few classes, but I've been better. Was mostly looking for specific advise in transitioning to college.
>>17155941
I have experience with VB and C++ from two respective high school classes, but my first semester will be Java. I suppose I'll need to get onto learning it, but given that I know C++ decently enough, would the transition to Java be too bad? Any recommendations on Distro for Linux, or anything would do?
>>
>>17155954
figure out what ide/os your school uses and use that. i remember programming was a lot easier when i had an environment already set up on my computer and could program anywhere instead of just on the lab computers.

if you know c++ already, cs will be a cakewalk when it comes to programming. make sure your math is really good though. cs majors take discrete math, linear algebra, calculus, and probability.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.