[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to be alive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1462289185886.jpg (33 KB, 600x490) Image search: [Google]
1462289185886.jpg
33 KB, 600x490
so I grew up the poor way and had to get my GED. So now I have a big question.

I want to get into a trade, and have autism to the point that I can't do low level jobs like wal-mart and mcdonalds because that is FAR beyond my social abilities. But trades are fine because I am good at manual labor and I'm honestly smart, just not people smart.

Now my fear is, what if after I get a trade certification, what if I get injured? I can't fall back on the easy low level jobs due to my lack of social comprehension. I would have no where to go if I was suddenly unable to work a trade.

What it seems to me is that I will need to diversify into STEM or IT just to have an escape route if I were to get hurt doing a trade.

Should I just skip the trade and try for something like programming? Or am I worrying about the risk too much and career ending injuries actually only happen to drunk retards?

I've got these path choices at the moment

1) Forestry degree/fire science degree(currently working in this field entry level)
2)electrician or aircraft mechanic trade
3) STEM or IT

I'm mainly weighing the risk/success probability of each right now
>>
>>17147507

99% of all accidents are preventable

And most companies follow strict rules, both from the goverment, but also from within the companies, because workers compensation is expensive and it's expensive to loose qualified workers to accidents.

Be smart, lock-out-tag-out, THINK before you act, tie your shoelaces, wear those safety goggles, wear those safety boots, wear those safety gloves

Become an electrician OP, it requires booksmarts, especially now a days where you can basically be a programmer at a factory as an electrician (ours do mess with the programming on the SCADA)

Also, factory work attracts plenty of social misfits, we both have a full-blown live-at-home-until-40-sperg, a fat nerd, a fat entrepanour, a former bodybuilder, and several guys that have worked there since they were in their teens (myself included actually)

Factory work is where its at. No office politics, not too much personal bullshit unless you like to talk about it, if you just shut up you will be ignored, if you talk about your interests people will laugh at you and gossip about you, but they don't give a flying fuck as long as you as able to do your fucking job.

Basically, as long as you are able to talk coherently about work and relay messenges and get your meaning across, you will be accepted.

Factory work muh nigga
>>
>>17147529
Does... does time go by fast in a factory? I've stacked boxes in warehouses and its like being in purgatory
>>
>>17147529
>And most companies follow strict rules, both from the goverment, but also from within the companies, because workers compensation is expensive and it's expensive to loose qualified workers to accidents.

This. If you get a workplace injury you're fucking set for life. It'll still suck because it's a major injury, true, but what it means is the companies will be more likely to have strict regulations that prevent you being injured in the first place because it will cost them a ton.

I work in the rail industry. We have giant machines that lift heavy as fuck rail going up and down sites. We have the risk of the signal operator fucking up and letting a train onto a site where people are working. Actual injuries are very rare since everyone knows that if they fuck up it'll cost everyone involved millions, so no-one fucks up.
>>
>>17147541
I will have to quit smoking weed until retirement, won't I?
>>
>>17147547
Again, I work in the rail industry and there are people who will unclip and go back to their van so they can drink vodka whilst the welders do their job before they come back and clip it up again. When I worked in a Jaguar factory (Jag being one of the richest car manufacturers in the world) there were forklift drivers who would get high or get drunk on their breaks.

You should quit smoking weed because it makes you a fucking moron tool, but you don't have to to work in dangerous environments since everyone else is shit-scared of injuring anyone it's not really a problem anyway.

Of course you might be the 0.001% who dies. Lady luck's a bitch.
>>
>>17147557
I mean when I get hurt they will drug test me and I will get nothing. I am trying to quit weed anyways. Just quit alcohol, now I need to crush the other demon that makes my thoughts cloudy.
>>
Would you rather work hands on or on a computer all day? I prefer the trades but not looking forward to the first year of apprenticeship(it's always bitch work that no one wants to do). There are also sub trades instead of working on aircraft mechanics you could assemble parts for aircrafts and work your way up from there and ect with other trades you may be interested in.
>>
>>17147569
They'll only drug test you if you're the cause of the problem (IE you're driving a forklift that hits someone) not if you're the victim of it.

Then again this varies between countries so can't say for certain.
>>
>>17147581
My passion is the woods, I understand that when shit sucks schools and forest budgets get slashed first, so financially I am thinking this is a poor choice.

I love to work with my hands, I need something mentally challenging which is why I have narrowed it down to electrician or aircraft mechanics.

The idea of having a strictly brainwork profession stems from my fear of being hurt doing what I love

My question is more like, should I build something to fall back on if my body can no longer do a trade at some point?
>>
>>17147588
I live in the U.S. and I have always heard they test both parties, up until this point whenever I got hurt doing manual labor it essentially has always meant "you're fired, tough luck".
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.