[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to biz but, they ignored me. I've been thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: North Dakota stuff 153.jpg (359 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
North Dakota stuff 153.jpg
359 KB, 1000x750
I want to biz but, they ignored me.

I've been thinking of opening a tea store, I know an area that has a high employment rate, doing good economically over all.
I have never done this before so I understand there will be more hurdles than I would like to admit to.

Some questions.
Do I franchise one? Like open up under a well known chain?

Is it better to be mom and pop style?

Does credit history matter when taking out a business loan?

What other things can you tell me?
Maybe tell me some pros and cons.
>>
>>17146802
I don't use /biz but I assume it's because you have apparently done literally no research on your own.

>Do I franchise one? Like open up under a well known chain?
I wasn't aware there was a tea shop franchise, but ok. How much would this cost? How much revenue is their advertising worth?

>Is it better to be mom and pop style?
Is it? What's going to be the difference in operating cost and revenue?

>Does credit history matter when taking out a business loan?
Yes.

>What other things can you tell me?
Have you made a business plan? Just kidding, I know you haven't. Google it.
>>
>>17146822
I figured I'd ask people first before doing research.
This idea came to me last night before I fell asleep.
Upon googling the franchise they don't offer franchising for people.
I imagine it would probably be more expensive if I went old school mom and pop.

Okay credit history is going to be an issue.

I will do some googling but, if you or anyone else can tell me about their experiences I am very open to it.
>>
>>17146802
There's tea franchises?
>>
>>17146847
In Canada there's David's tea and then in America is there's Teavana.
Don't go to Teavana.
>>
5k a month for my building rent, 2k for advertising. 1500 for repairs on machines every month, if I want new machines 3.5 to 20k. An this was for a laundromat that didn't make enough money for me to live on so you have to figure your gonna have to buy everything for the place and do research the area to see if people want a test shop in that location
>>
>>17146887
Thank you for the information. I will of course do lots of looking into before signing any loans or anything serious, I'm trying to get this out of the day dreaming phase.
>>
>>17146839
>I figured I'd ask people first before doing research.
Yeah ok, what this tells me is that you're lazy/unwilling to do anything for yourself.

You're very unlikely to succeed in business like this.
>>
>>17146912
I'm still in the day dreaming phase of it.
Maybe I'll see its not worth it and give up.
Or maybe I won't.

Think what you want.
>>
>>17146802

Do it mom and pop style, but it can't be JUST tea. You just aren't going to get enough customers. Serve coffee, serve baked goods, maybe some easy-prep meals like sandwiches and breakfast items. Focus on really good tea, make sure your customers are aware of the tea options, but don't shut yourself off from a larger pool of customers when it wouldn't cost much more to give them what they want.
>>
>they ignored me

/biz/ is a NEET ghetto.

>franchise

You don't need to if you plan to run it yourself.

>mom and pop style

As long as you incorporate properly under an LLC yes, it's better.

>credit history

It matters, yes.

>other things/pros and cons

Running a brick and mortar business is hard, but tea shops are the next big thing in the US. You can import the tea yourself or deal directly with an importer or wholesaler, but you'll need your TIN in order to browse merchandise with most bulk sellers.

I've found that Customs is a lot less shitty to deal with as an importer or exporter than, say, your local area's health department and licensing board. If you're going to serve food in addition to tea your best bet is to reheat packaged stuff that isn't prepared within the building in order to simplify the paperwork that you have to do. You're also going to need insurance because people are consuming drink and possibly food which you have prepared which is hot.

Hope you have good credit or investors. Always read the fine print.
>>
>>17147165
Yes thank you I find this to be most helpful. I will have a lot more research to do. I think I'll go to college and major in business. In case I fail at least having a business degree will help improve my marketability for employment. As of right now I don't even have a degree.
>>
/biz/ doesn't like it when people don't ask decent questions. Do your research, then ask. Successful people do lurk on /biz/. They don't like spoonfeeding you basic questions that you can learn on your own.

>franchises
read about it somewhere. there's a lot of information on franchises
>credit history
yeah
>what other things can you tell me?
what like how to actually make money? like, everything?

That's what it looks like to /biz/.

The more general your questions, the more likely they're just going to shitpost. For good reason too.

Do your homework. A tea store isn't a simple thing. There's storage - green tea oxidizes after 6 months. Steep at the right temperatures or else anybody who actually drinks good tea will know you're an idiot. Ask /ck/ they'll know something probably. Check your source - Chinese teas have high fluoride content and heavy metals. Then there's licensing. Breaking even. The high chance of failure.

If you're already discouraged then it's better that you stop now. Nothing wrong with a pipe dream. Otherwise, keep learning.
>>
Who here has actual manager experience?
>raises hand

I was a General Manager at a nation wide chain restaurant for 5 years.

First and foremost, do you have experience managing something like this? Do you understand how overhead works, P/L reports, inventory management, labor management, general store upkeep and maintenance, advertising, hiring, etc.? If the answer is no then I'm sorry but this is a bad idea. If the answer is yes, it's still not a very good idea. Most business' fail. If you don't fail you won't be making any money for a long time, a few years, and can you handle not having income during that period?

That being said, a franchise is more viable because you're given all the tools and then some to get started and running.You'll have support. But this requires you have a good chunk or money. I don't know about a tea house but to get a franchise in a restaurant it can cost anywhere from $75,000 to $250,000+ to get started.

If you go the independent route, the odds of succeeding are smaller and you're investing even more. Plus you don't get all the tools and support you get with a franchise.

Credit history matters for either scenario.

I don't mean to burst your bubble but there's an incredible amount of risk to starting your own business. Especially a service industry orientated business. Believe me, I wanted to open my own restaurant because I've done it and done it very well. I've run stores that generate revenue in the millions and been able to increase profits by 15%. I'm a really good cook. All that being said I still wouldn't open my own place.
>>
>>17147374
>>17147401
This is stuff I very much needed to hear.
Thank you very much. I will write down what you have told me.
Would it help if I had a degree in economics or business?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.