[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I landed this new bartending job. But the menu has a slight variation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
I landed this new bartending job. But the menu has a slight variation to come cocktails that I'm not used too and I feel like it could be corrected to the standard what people expect.

Like muddling the mint in a mojito before putting in the lime and simple syrup?

Or using lime juice in the gimlet instead of fresh squeezed lime?

Or in sex on the beach, using rum instead of vodka and using pineapple when it should just be vodka, peach schnapps, oj, and cranberry?

Should I just make it the way I'm used too and they way most people expect? Or the way my place does it?

I made the drinks all my way today and my mojito got a complement and my others had no complaints.

>keep making drinks my way or the way it is on the recipe sheet?
>>
knowing fuckall about bartending I'd say you've landed a job at a half assed place with management that either doesn't know what they're doing, or is intentionally just stitching together crap to keep things running, and you're gonna have problems eventually no matter what you do.

that's my long term take on it. do whatever you want with that. short term, idk I'm not a bartender.
>>
>>17142274
This sounds like a question you should be asking the manager where you work.
>>
They even got bay breeze with Malibu rum when it should be a vodka cran drink with pineapple.

But I fucks with the mojito Sprite/Soda variation instead of only club soda
>>
>>17142286
True but I just started and I don't want to go in there picking apart the place. But I don't want guests to think I don't know how to make a drink.
>>
Could it be that they're trying to bring their own personality to the drinks? If so, reverting to standard might be seen as harming their brand.

I don't know shit about cocktails though, maybe these are transparent fuck ups and cop outs on their part.
>>
>>17142274
I would complement them on the fact that they bring different variations to ""original" and ask them why, joke about having to learn them differently.

Also, serve them like they are on the menu, customer should get what he/she orders, some might take your changes positively, some not, from my own experience.
>>
>>17142295
Again: THIS IS A QUESTION THAT YOU SHOULD BE ASKING THE MANAGER WHERE YOU WORK.

If you're some timid little mouse, then keep your mouth shut and make the drinks the way their menu shows them.
>>
>>17142324
The customers menu just has the name. So I'd imagine someone who likes vodka would get a bay breeze but get pissed when I make it with Malibu coconut rum
>>
>>17143232
Grow some balls.
>>
Most customers don't even know what they're drinking, as long as you act confident in what you're serving them, they'll believe they got the right order. Make the drinks in whatever way you feel comfortable.
>>
I would expect that the lime juice instead of lime in gimlet is a cost saving measure, and something like mohito is because of some other vague reason.

Generally speaking there's a reason why workplaces do some patently stupid thing. Try doing it "their way" for a few weeks and THEN see what should be done.
>>
>>17142274
>slight variation to come cocktails
>cum cocktails
Hmm...
>>
>>17143292
Even small bars (if they're going to stay in business very long) have strict alcohol inventory controls. Pouring drinks differently from the sales record is a good way to get fired.

>>17143402
The smart thing is to ask. Replacing one alcohol with another runs the risk of upsetting a customer or causing a drink to be returned, especially like the example in >>17143232. One of the most common reasons that a lot of workplaces do "stupid" things is because no one has ever pointed out that it's stupid.

If management is so fucked up that they can't handle a bartender asking "hey this recipe is different from the standard expectation, what's up with that?" that's a job not worth having and OP should be looking for other employment.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.