[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whenever I'm around new people before we even say a word
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
Whenever I'm around new people before we even say a word to each other it almost always feels like they're judging me and already deemed me not good enough for them.

It's crippling me socially and I honestly have no idea what to do about it
>>
>>17138409
Do you judge people and deem them not good enough for you when you first see them?
>>
>>17138409
You're good enough to have a conversation with. That is why you're talking to them, right?
>>
>>17138434
I guess yeah, wow that's actually really shitty of me, especally when I'm struggling with literally that.

I'm actually going to try to be a lot better about that from now on.

>>17138439
It isn't necessarily with people I'm in direct contact either. For example about 2 months ago I went out to the bar with my friends. The whole night they were coaxing me to go around, chat with some girls, dance, whatever. But I could never bring myself to do it because again, I felt like everyone in the room had already seen and judged me.

I know it's a fucking retarded way of thinking, but I've never been able to help it
>>
>>17138469
Dude, that was because you were nervous. Go talk to people in a setting you're comfortable and familiar in.
>>
>>17138474
I've yet to find a setting where I felt comfortable approaching strangers.

Even when I first went to college, I couldn't bring myself to chat with anyone because I was so scared and felt so awkward. Even though I knew we'd all have a lot of similar interests and we'd probably get along.

The biggest problem I can't shake the feeling if I go to say hi they're going to feel like I'm intruding.
>>
>>17138409

There's a saying in psychological counseling:

"Don't believe something unless you are willing to test it".

So next time you feel this way, ask the people if they are judging you. This simple and innevitably awkward act will forever cure this problem you are having.
>>
>>17138491
That implies I've even worked up the courage to say anything to these people.

Jesus fuck I'm a mess
>>
Sounds like BPD
>>
>>17138525
Borderline Personality Disorder?

Wouldn't be the first time someone suggested that's the case.
>>
>>17138541
I've had some people close to me get diagnosed with it. You just need to remember that when you perceive people as judging you, as disliking you before you know them at all, it's your worries being projected onto them.
BPD is serious enough that I'd definitely go to the doctor and talk it out, because that type of cognition can long-term do serious damage. It will cause you to push people away that want to help, and shut people out that want to take things farther.
>>
>>17138551
I've never really found myself pushing people away, if anything I'm way too clingy with the people in my life.
>>
>>17138564
Op I'm the same as you kinda.
I feel like everyone around me constantly judges me and if it's a girl situation and they don't show CLEAR signs (like eyeballing me and such) I kinda get depressed lol
>>
>>17138636
This girl eyeballs me all the time and I feel like she's judging me
>>
>>17138670
Then they like u
>>
>>17138687
Nah she's a total qt3.14 and I look like George Lopez. Still catch her looking in the two classes we're in. She judging, senpai.
>>
>>17138670
OP here, if a girl was blatantly eyeing me up I'd feel like she was judging me sure. But I'd know she was probably thinking good things about me
>>
>>17138697
Lol u're kinda retarded then. Why would she be judging you 24/7? You judge someone after you've gotten a first impression out of them, then you stop looking at them unless you're interested.
>>
>>17138551
Something I should've brought up before.

I have gone to the doctors about this. I told him I wasn't feeling OK and explained to him what was going on. We decided my best first step was to seek counselling and see where that goes. I went to my colleges counseling department and asked if I could access their services even though my programs on break for the summer semester. Unfortunately I'm unable too and have to wait until I return in the fall. The gave me a number to call that's essentially kids help phone for college students.

I guess I'm going to have to talk to my parents about finding something now. (God knows I can't afford it, I'm pretty sure I get it for free through their bennefits). I've always had a hard time talking to them about this stuff. It's not that I don't trust them, I think it's just hard for me because I have to see them everyday
>>
>>17138491
>So next time you feel this way, ask the people if they are judging you. This simple and innevitably awkward act will forever cure this problem you are having.
Kek, does this actually work on anyone? Does any anxious, antisocial, paranoid, etc person actually believe that they'd tell them the truth?

>>17138525
>Sounds like BPD
I swear someone posts this in every single thread related to any psychological issue whatsoever, even when it's actually something like schizoaffective or OCD.
/adv/'s favorite diagnosis.
I wonder if this heralds a new trend in psychology/psychiatry.

On the other hand, this board really introduced me to the BPD/avoidant subtype, it's almost a footnote in textbooks but it seems to be very clinically important.
Otherwise I'd have considered BPD very low on the list for someone like OP presenting with avoidant symptoms.

>>17138739
>I guess I'm going to have to talk to my parents about finding something now.
Sounds like a plan.
>>
Try dimethylotryptamine, it will wash away your ego and show you the truth about everything that causing your problems. Eternal love will show you the way. But its a one way ticket so either you get enlightned or die with a unnecessary disorder which is caused by the wrong way of analyzing things
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.