[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
someone explain watching sports for me. i have no idea what's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1461862019351.jpg (33 KB, 680x510) Image search: [Google]
1461862019351.jpg
33 KB, 680x510
someone explain watching sports for me. i have no idea what's so appealing/addictive about it.
my boyfriend is a complete nut when it comes to watching sports. he even has this little app where him and his friends and some others organize a fantasy league and bet on games.

what confuses me even more is why people cheer for teams outside their country/province/state.

also, what can i do to start enjoying this activity? i shit you not, every single guy i've dated were into watching sports and expected me to know something about it. every single one. it's like a normie staple or something.

i'll try my best to understand it if it means i get to be more normie.
>>
>>17138135
are you a girl or a gay guy? If youre female you might just want to accept you'll never really get into it.
>>
>>17138141
i'm a girl, and i'll give it a try for the sake of my boyfriend.

even the girls around me seem to know more about sports than i do. i feel a little embarrassed at my lack of knowledge and a bit disconnected from my bf who apparently loves this shit.

i'm browsing /sp/ right now and all i see are numbers and teams... are there some dank memes i can at least get into and try to understand?
>>
>>17138152
maybe, I find its pretty hard to just sit down and watch a sports game for 3 hours. I'll have fun if I'm actually at the game or at a bar and I'm watching it while I drink but idk how people can sit at home every night and do it.

Sorry I don't really have any advice.
>>
>>17138135
>it's like a normie staple or something.

First of all, stop it.
You're just about as "normie" as anyone else.
And stay away from /r9k/.

Secondly, as a robot guy, rather than a manly man, trust me, not all guys like sports.
Holy shit you're average football (soccer) game goes on longer than an hour and a half.
I used to go watch the local team play with my dad, only because he bought me junk food.
I spend the entire time daydreaming because for the life of me, I could not get into it.
An hour and a half is a really long time to be sat their bored out of your mind.

If I were you, I'd try playing some sports, maybe then you'd see what the fuss is about. Personally, playing it never helped me. I can enjoy playing sports but damn, sitting their for hours watching people kick a damn ball.

It might be a normie thing actually... they "empathise" with their team and live vicariously through them... like they're part of the tribe or somethin'. I dunno, normies and weirdies.
>>
>>17138164
what do you enjoy about watching it at all?
what made you choose the team that you cheer for?

personal opinions are just as valid for my situation as advice...
>>
>>17138171
i'm clearly not normie enough. i want to fully assimilate into normie culture. i swear to god, people smell it on me and i hate it.

>a robot
you're like the 1% that doesn't go outside. of course i wouldn't be able to meet guys like you. but 100% of the time, the guys i've met had some sort of appeal to watching their favorite sweaty men on tv.

playing sports sure sounds a lot more fun. i totally get the appeal of that. i just don't get watching it.

i don't know how they empathize with their teams... to my understanding, the players get swapped around sometimes and replaced, so it's not even like they get to cheer for their "original" team or something. they're just cheering for the name it seems like? again, makes it extra confusing when people cheer for teams outside their country/province/state....
>>
File: 1379355657378.png (62 KB, 936x941) Image search: [Google]
1379355657378.png
62 KB, 936x941
You don't need to impress anyone. You're either interested in something or you're not. Don't do something unless it's for personal satisfaction, otherwise you're just a poser.
>>
Watching commercial sports is for faggots
https://youtu.be/KzETKoOyj5M
>>
>>17138212
i'm not trying to impress anyone. i'm trying to assimilate into normie culture.

and maybe get an understanding of why my bf likes this shit so much and try to enjoy it with him because it obviously means a whole lot to him.

i could use some pointers in how to get into genuinely enjoying this activity.
>>
He most likely grew up with it OP. If you didn't, like I didn't, it's not gonna be that interesting. I find basketball interesting though, but not enough to sit there for four hours.
>>
I feel the same way, even though I'm a guy and grew up with sports.

I like participating in some sports, and actually going to games is fun sometimes, but watching sports on TV is a snoozefest, especially Baseball and Football.

I think the only ones I genuinely enjoy watching are certain auto races (Le Mans etc.) and the Winter Olympics, and in both cases it's because I participate in forms of some of those sports and can appreciate the feats of skill.
>>
>>17138228
>he grew up with it
yeah that's about right. but i didn't grow up with like... farming or something. and i'd still watch a documentary about that over sports.

>>17138258
>it's because I participate in forms of some of those sports and can appreciate the feats of skill.
boggles me completely since a lot of the guys i know don't participate in the said sports they're into watching. i understand your case though.

i'm starting to wonder if watching sports is kind of like those "batman vs superman" debates.
>>
>>17138178
I live in NYC and like the mets, they've always been the perpetual underdog which is a big part of the spirit of athletics, rooting for the upset.

They were practically unwatchable for years though because they were just so bad but now they're actually good so its more fun.
>>
>>17138218
stop shilling your shitty video
>>
>>17138228
it really is true what they say about basketball, you can just tune in for the last 2 minutes of the game because unless its a blowout that's all that matters.
>>
File: 1460174634950.jpg (72 KB, 618x564) Image search: [Google]
1460174634950.jpg
72 KB, 618x564
I don't like watching sports either, I never understood why people go nuts for some team or athlete when there are more interesting things to watch like movies or documentary films.

>>17138212

This
y
You don't need to try to be another normie, being yourself is fine*

*Up to a point....
>>
>>17138383
no because it's relevant and explains exactly what OP wants to know.
>>
>>17138437
>attention whoring is ok when I do it
fucking beantowners
>>
>>17138488
but it is ok when i do it because i'm more important than you
>>
>>17138493
the fact that you think that is precisely the problem I was pointing out
>>
>>17138497
it's only a problem for you
>>
Being passionate about sports has always been an anomaly to me considering that your commitment has no actual bearing over the outcome of the sporting event. However, two emotions that humans quickly invest in are hope and fear. Sports provide people with something to commit their hope and loyalty. If you're looking for a crash course on sports, playing video games helped me picked up the rules more easily.
>>
The same reason women are obsessed with shoes and shiny trinkets, Beats me.

I don't get the sports things either though honestly.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.