[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/ I wanted to know if a councelor could really advise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: SMU_withPony_NoOutline-copy.jpg (21 KB, 411x358) Image search: [Google]
SMU_withPony_NoOutline-copy.jpg
21 KB, 411x358
Hey /adv/

I wanted to know if a councelor could really advise a client to stop communicating with a rape victim. It doesn't seem ethical to me.

I ask because a friend of mine was in a ldr with a guy from SMU Dallas. She lives in Austin about 4 hours away. She was raped and immediately told her boyfriend about what had happened. The guy stopped communication with her immediately even though she offered to give him criminal case number and the contact for the police officer who took the report. This happened during SMU's annual Rape Awareness month

Found out weeks later that the guy had been advised by a counselor to cut all ties to the victim.

This doesn't seem ethical for a couselor to ever suggest that a client ignore a rape victim.

thoughts?
>>
>Found out weeks later that the guy had been advised by a counselor

How did you even find that out and how can you be so sure?
>>
op here.

Mutual friend informed victim that the boyfriend had been advised by his counselor at SMU to not communicate with her.

Victim and I called the head of the SMU counseling department to verify. They stated that though they could not discuss the details of the boyfriend's counseling sessions they did verify that they felt it best for their student to not communicate with the victim
>>
Well this can go 2 ways:

1. The counsellor misunderstood that her boyfriend was involved in the rape somehow and has advised him not to speak to her for legal reasons

2. The boyfriend revealed in the counselling sessions that he had nothing nice to say about the whole situation and the counsellor thought it best to tell him to cut contact rather than have him go back and start shit with her - I mean, she was willing to give him her criminal case number? So he doesn't believe her? Not very nice of him, is it?

At any rate, what do you think would be changed by her boyfriend being in contact with her?
>>
What does it matter? A councelor has no more authority in this situation than we do. Even if they did suggest it, which I'm not sure is the full story, it was the boyfriends decision to remove her from his life.
>>
i was just wondering if anyone else thought it was unethical for a school counselor to advise a student to not communicate with their girlfriend who had been raped for the sake of making sure his grades stay high.

I think it is unethical and terrible personally. Especially since the girl had been with the guy for 16 years and helped get him into SMU. For him to follow the advice of a school councelor who is not supposed to give relationship advice makes all men look like dicks
>>
>>17137044
>makes all men look like dicks

Excuse me?
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.